Peanut Gallery for the AAR, No Bill or Pnzrldr

Sorry but sadly Bil is toast. Those M1s will just roll in, shrug of any rpg shots and machine gun (iirc buildings might be preserve options) any Russian infantry sheltering in the buildings. Once Bil runs out of a/ T90s b/ anti tank assets nowt left to do but surrender. A company team with a plartoon of M1s and two platoons of BIFVs would have made for a more balanced challenge IMO.

I agree. I think NATO gets too many M1's.

That is a lot of firepower.

In the original scenario, what would be the best strategy for the Russian player? Should Bill have taken the objectives with force and used his tanks in close quarters? I don't know how he could have taken the force, even if he hadn't lost some of his tanks.

Is there any way to add Bill some reinforcements retroactively.  He needs two or three more platoons of T-90s just to keep things sporting.

No. The game system doesn't work like that. Only way you could approximate it is to take the current situation and build a scenario using it as a template, which did include a Russian relief column/4 or 5 MLRS and have the participants play on as if turn one of the new game was the next turn of the old game.

It certainly seems that Bil's "seize the hill" plan may not have been the wisest course of action in retrospect. I really thought he had it in the bag for a bit, but it wasn't clear what forces his opponent would be receiving. It certainly does seem that you're going to have to be pretty crafty to effectively use the Russians against an American armoured force. I think you'll have to rely on terrain and either hit-and-run from a distance, or fight up close on reverse slopes and built-up/wooded areas. Easier said than done unfortunately.

I was also glad to read that the scenario had been cropped and will be larger in the actual game. I really don't like the "teleporting into view" reinforcements, although in this case it seems to have worked in pnzrldr's favour. 

While I still think Bil has no realistic chance in hell of winning, I wouldn't discount his capacity to continue the fight effectively just yet. Its definitely a testament to Bil that he's attacking a pocket while defending against an armored attack at once, turn based or not, that takes a lot of skill to mentally compartmentalize. Pnzr's latest turn shows that Bill has the stomach to try and blunt or slow the American offensive. Pnzr was lucky to get away with only a FIST and a damaged Abrams from that little dust up in the gullies, in my opinion, and a few more ambushes like that, and that drive might lose much of its initial impetus. 

How long can Bil last If Pnzrldr can in fact turn the flank on 347 and has LOF all the way to the Power Station?  He just proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that the Abrams can kill things the entire length of the map.

Not long at all.

Bill just lost his command and control on the highway, and Pnzr is gunning for high ground - step one in setting up for an armored drive. Bil doesn't have the firepower to do much more than harass any drive towards H347. Maybe Bil wants to get into Kricheck, clear it out, and try to take the Americans in close? It certainly seems like that is what he's doing.

Edited by Rinaldi

I don't see Bil lasting too much longer. The Abrams is a beast. Sure, Scott will lose about 2-3 more Abrams, but as long as he keeps them paired, with one pair in overwatch and the other one bounding (one at a time), whatever hits one Abrams will be destroyed by the others. It will come down to Bil setting up a flank shot (or 2) with his T-90's to blunt the drive. He should retask the T-90's away from reducing infantry pockets and towards that (phantom) flank shot. The BMP-3's are great for pulping up the crunchies, especially in built up zones.

I don't see Bil lasting too much longer. The Abrams is a beast. Sure, Scott will lose about 2-3 more Abrams, but as long as he keeps them paired, with one pair in overwatch and the other one bounding (one at a time), whatever hits one Abrams will be destroyed by the others. It will come down to Bil setting up a flank shot (or 2) with his T-90's to blunt the drive. He should retask the T-90's away from reducing infantry pockets and towards that (phantom) flank shot. The BMP-3's are great for pulping up the crunchies, especially in built up zones.

I think a lot is going to be decided whether Bil can reduce the pocket before he runs out of men or has his rear handed to him (overrun). Holding the city is, in hindsight, much more dangerous for Scott than Bil's forces on hill 347 can be. Had Bil had some dismounted ATGM teams, hill 347 could be much more threatening for Scott. Does Bil get any reinforcements still?

The first reverse slope/terrain obstructed ambush Scott faced cost him 2 Abrams main guns. Given he has ~15 Abrams Bil still faces very challenging odds, but if the air support can take out a number of vehicles and he is able to use his T-90's to full effect it might become a bloody fight for both. Especially if Scott needs to clear (parts of) Kricheck of Russian troops.

Not sure what are the victory conditions but I would count myself as victor, where I Bil, if I could hurt the USA forces significantly. 

• 3 weeks later...

The Abrams is a fearsome beast. In reality, and in-game. Bil will need to think about how to defeat them. (Both have already played this battle, based on previous comments, so both know what the other has.)

I'd expect Bil to try to get positions to fire on sides/rear and with multiple shooters. His front-rush will help with that. Scott will have to pry open a safe entry zone in order to use his Abrams.

Just started reading this thread.. but I wanted to pause and correct this misconception.. not sure where it came from.. but neither Scott nor I had played this battle before starting this AAR game.  We were in the dark except for what the briefing and Scott's intelligence advantage told us.