Question about systems like Arena

db_zero

There are versions of the BMP-3M with and without ERA. US vehicles (Abrams/Bradley/Stryker) and Russian/Ukrainian tanks do not have no-ERA versions.

APS is optional on all vehicles except BM Oplot (but there is a request in to have it optional on that, as well).

I'm pretty sure at least one Israeli soldier was killed or seriously wounded by Trophy in the recent Gaza war.

It's like standing close to a big shotgun blast, so obviously dangerous. But I guess the risks, and resultant casualties, are less than you would get without said protection.

Trophy fires a focused "beam" of EFP projectiles rather than a "shotgun blast". My understanding of this particular incident is that the soldier likely would have been killed by the ATGM impact anyways, so my guess is he was standing right next to the tank, or possibly on it.

I like the RPG-28. 1000mm + after reactive armor penetration and 125mm warhead. Adopted for service by the Russian federation in 2011. Against the M1A2 side armor it would be deadly and would make russian infantry more dangerous to it.

Here it says its the most modern in service in the RUssian army

http://world.guns.ru/grenade/rus/rpg-28-e.html

Russians in Black Sea have the PG-7VR tandem HEAT as the standard warhead for their RPG-7s (in addition to the usual thermobaric and frag warheads). It's an extremely capable grenade and a threat to armored vehicles (and the Abrams to the side/rear) without the bulk of the RPG-29. Plus they all the troops have it!

If a HEAT warhead is bearing down on an APC or IFV, having APS or ERA activate isn't going to make things any worse than they already will be if the missile hits and makes the vehicle go explodey... especially those stowed ATGMs all start detonating.

Good point. So, a good thing to do is to keep the crunchies outside a reasonable blast radius of the machinery but close enough to do the job of protecting them from opposing crunchies. Might get tricky, but that's the way war has always been.

Michael