A look at the new US soldiers in Black Sea

ChrisND

Time for a quick comparison between soldiers from Shock Force and Black Sea!

Just showing US soldiers for now. Everyone thank Vein for the excellent US soldier textures, and Webwing for models/animations!

Note that artwork is in progress. Also I apologize for big images in advance.

Recap:

Shock Force soldiers were often a bit... stiff. Although one heck of an upgrade since the three stooges of CMx1 days, there was a lot of improvement to be made. For one thing, all of the soldier gear was identical regardless of what the soldier was carrying. Clone Wars!

FKDdTD6.jpg

vTlFcyq.jpg

MVZ29OP.jpg

3vLJ8rH.jpg

w2c1Ssf.jpg

Here's the new US soldier look:

(NOTE: some uniform and weapon textures are still a work in progress. You'll see black textures and placeholders. Don't freak.)

Gear changes dynamically based on what weapon the soldier is carrying. Soldiers using a M4 Carbine have magazines inserted into their TAP harness. M-25 CDTE gunners have magazine pouches for the M-25 CDTE, guys with 7.62 rifles have 7.62 pouches, rifle grenadiers have rifle grenade pouches and a grenade bandolier, RTOs have a radio backpack etc.

Jq3GniF.jpg

bHUO1Yr.jpg

qQ6dtfY.jpg

auFeFy5.jpg

And of course, in night conditions they'll don NVGs:

Xs3IMQD.jpg

ChrisND,

Thanks for these. I see many interesting things as far as weapons and gear, together with an anatomical problem urgently in need of addressing. Please look at the left hand of the man with the SAW. He seems to have achieved the impossible, and I say this as a leftie.

While we're on infantry, has there been any code change you can discuss so that infantry has the good sense to observe and shoot, where possible, from in the room, rather than at the windows and doorways?

Regards,

John Kettler

Looks great.

While we're on infantry, has there been any code change you can discuss so that infantry has the good sense to observe and shoot, where possible, from in the room, rather than at the windows and doorways?

I would like to see soldiers shooting aroung the corner in the cities, changing squad mates when they emptied magazine.

I don't know squat about the modern uniforms, but some of those close up shots are really highlighting the funky sternocleidomastoid muscle in the neck. It should angle from behind the ear to the inner part of the collar bone (rather than going straight down the neck from the back of the jaw). I think it is like this in the WW2 games too, but if you are revisiting the textures and have time, it might be something you could look at.

I agree. The textures look awful. I really hope they get sorted out.

Keep in mind you are looking at a screenshot from someone else's machine. Your mileage may vary. I have the good fortune to look at them on my machine. I like em.

Regardless I am sure the modders will have a field day anyway. Variety of choices is a good thing.