Couple of questions

7thGalaxy

Hi

I know these 'lumped together' question threads can be a bit cumbersome, but I've been searching the forums and can't find answers to them easily! So here goes:

I was surprised to find that HQ units with no coms to higher units (say a scout platoon a couple of km into the map) were still able to communicate with mortars. This seems odd - unless they had some very very fast runners! Is this WAD? I was under the impression that you'd have to have some sort of c2 to call in a fire support mission.

Playing through the Russian campaign, currently on the mission where you have to defend the river crossing until the heavy tank company turned up. Well, they turned up... directly under fire from the stugs, and with the tank descent company still perched on top. Now this is fine - although you'd have thought they might have scouted and not just driven up as if on parade. What's tricky is this - I want to dismount the company, there's no point them sitting on top in a tank battle, but I can't seem to work out how to order them off before the tanks move -if both units have movement orders, the vehicle executes its ones first - even if I pop a pause in. This means the tanks sit there and get pelted by 75mm AT rounds, which mostly bounce, but every time I've tried to get the 'meta order' (order of orders) correct, I've lost at least one to a lucky penetration. Or should I just be engaging with my troops perched like lemmings?

Third question - would anyone like a PBEM QB? ;)

Thanks in advance

I was surprised to find that HQ units with no coms to higher units (say a scout platoon a couple of cm into the map) were still able to communicate with mortars. This seems odd - unless they had some very very fast runners! Is this WAD? I was under the impression that you'd have to have some sort of c2 to call in a fire support mission.

Nope, no sort of C2 link is required to call in artillery. The "privilege" of being able to call support missions is linked to the Leader or Commander in the element. It can sometimes be passed to a replacement, if the Leader is made a casualty, and there's an "Executive Officer" (or the national equivalent, if it exists) available. You will find that there are some units (US XO teams are the example that I can easily bring to mind; don't have RT, so there may not be any equivalent units in that product, though I think some German PltHQs) which don't have radios at all can call in support fires. This has been explained as representing the (necessarily abstracted) presence of wire telephony.

Edit: Where a C2 link is required is the other end of the equation: on-board mortars need to be in C2 to receive the support request. Presumably, the abstracted field telephone network doesn't extend forward with the shooters, and they need to have a radio link with the exchange in the rear areas that the FT-using observing element is honking at.

... What's tricky is this - I want to dismount the company, there's no point them sitting on top in a tank battle, but I can't seem to work out how to order them off before the tanks move -if both units have movement orders, the vehicle executes its ones first - even if I pop a pause in. ...

The trick to this is the DISMOUNT command.

Troops you want to dismount before the vehicle moves must be given a DISMOUNT command, then a movement order. The vehicle can then be given its own orders which it will carry out after the troops have disembarked. ( it doesn't even need a Pause as it will simply wait "long enough" ).

Note : Both vehicle and passengers must not already have any orders - if they do, the Dismount button will probably be greyed out. Simply delete all orders for both, start with the Dismount button and go from there.

Note 2 : The Dismount ( like Bail Out ) is one of those "can't take it back" buttons. If you click it, it's a done deal.

Hope it helps.

I'd help you out with #3, but I'm a bit fully committed at the moment. PM me in a month or so if you're still looking :)