CM Black Sea – BETA Battle Report - Russian Side

Troops seem remarkably resilient to 100mm airbursts directly overhead, especially that one in the beginning that still successfully guided a missile as shrapnel was still falling. Everything OK with the modeling of airbursts? Are we better off using point detonation with the modern protective gear soldiers wear these days?

Troops seem remarkably resilient to 100mm airbursts directly overhead, especially that one in the beginning that still successfully guided a missile as shrapnel was still falling. Everything OK with the modeling of airbursts? Are we better off using point detonation with the modern protective gear soldiers wear these days?

There was a bug in the modelling of Black Sea HE explosions (which manifested the most in airbursts) which was just fixed today.

FYI, Scott was at Ft. Benning this week doing some Army stuff, or so he says ;) so the next turn has been delayed. Should get back on track in the next day or so.

Sounds like a good excuse ;) I am sure Scott will be refreshed from his time away and ... Attack upon his return :)

The Sixth Minute

First off, the Tunguska killed one of the GL Platoon BMP 3s.. I really need to do something about that thing.

1st MRC - The T-90s took up their SBF positions, spotted two BMP 2s on the center hill and knocked them out.

006-T90%2Bv%2BBMP.gif

Dead%2BBmp2s.JPG

One of 2nd MRC's BMPs took out the third enemy BMP 2 on this side of the hill. Devastating Scott's right flank climbing center hill.

1st MRC is now positioned to drive into the flank of Scott's Ukrainian Company Team. By the way, I have now spotted elements of three platoons plus a few extra BMP 2s which must be the command element. There is one platoon on each flank of center hill, another in the trees opposite the GL platoon between my two MRCs. A total of 5 BMP 2s have been killed in these two enemy platoons with what looks to be 3 surviving (2 of which are probably the Company HQ element), and I know where those are located.

1st%2BMRC.JPG

2nd MRC - Pushing over the crest and down the other side 2nd MRC killed at least two BMP 2s (the one mentioned above) and one of the BMP 2s on the right flank of center hill. The second BMP 2 that was fired on and penetrated last turn was fired on again this turn, then disappeared from view without being able to discern its fate.

006-BMP.gif

I identified a third BMP 2 towards the end of the turn in this area, and watched as it killed an MTLB (sniper platoon HQ). Note the US Scout team and HMMWV towards the rear of this Ukrainian MR Platoon. While the Ukrainians run back down the hill, the US Scout was advancing towards the hill.. perhaps towards the HMMWV?

2nd%2BMRC.JPG

Seeing the tree getting mowed down looked new to me, even if it's not; guess I'm only used to seeing really big HE eliminate trees in one go.

Can we see an image of the MTLB on the field, either before or after its destruction?

Sorry I can't show the MTLB yet.. it is still waiting for its paint job. ;) I'll show it as soon as it's ready, like I did with the infantry.

Maybe slightly off topic, but here we see the reason why the US Air Force wants to retire the A-10. It is simply not survivable in the face of modern AA systems. It works great in places like Iraq and Afghanistan, dropping bombs on insurgents that can't shoot back, but the Air Force doesn't want to keep an aircraft that would be pretty much totally useless in a fight against a more modern opponent.

Some people clearly don't understand this though, as evidenced by the very vocal campaign to keep the A-10 in service.

*ahem* ... ;)

The T-90s took up their SBF positions, spotted two BMP 2s on the center hill and knocked them out.

One of 2nd MRC's BMPs took out the third enemy BMP 2 on this side of the hill. Devastating Scott's right flank climbing center hill.

Awesome. This is more like it! Spot, shoot, kill. No draggy no laundry. I'm really liking this modern setting.

Please sir do tell us about your plans against that pesky Tunguska.icon_twisted_zpsd31316aa.gif

AC-130

umm... the Hog's gun sure is a crowd pleaser, but it's primary weapon has always been the AGM-65 Maverick, and nowadays coupled with WCMDs, LGBs and JDAMs. They can provide a bit stand-off range/altitude clear of the lethal Shorads. (Yes you prolly know that so consider this a smartass plug)

The Seventh Minute

Keep the enemy under constant pressure and off balance. Do not allow him to react effectively.

Modern Operational and Tactical Principles

2nd MRC - 2nd MRC kept up the pressure and continued the pursuit... the Ukrainian infantry platoons on the slopes of center hill are routed and many enemy teams fall to my concentrated fire this turn. I think its safe to say that Scott's Relief Force is no longer a viable combat force.

On my left flank another BMP 2 falls to 2nd MRC 30mm...

007-BMP2.gif

On my right flank I can now confirm that the second BMP2 in that platoon was eliminated last turn (leaving one still alive).

On the left flank one of my T90s advanced, spotted the enemy Scout Team and eliminated the two survivors. I also now know that there were two of these teams on the hill (at least) as there is another body from a different team nearby.

When watching this gif, note the independant firing of the different weapon systems on this vehicle.

007-T90AM%2BFIring%2B2.gif

T90%2Bvs%2BUS%2BScouts.JPG

At the end of the turn I now have the following information:

- There are a total of three surviving BMP2s from the Ukrainian MRC (I now do not think it was a team containing tanks), their locations are shown by the blue boxes.

- All of the Ukrainian infantry is either dead or routing.

- I now have a good picture of the US elements in the relief force. It looks like a Scout Platoon containing three HMMWVs (at least) and perhaps an FO vehicle. I suspect this last is an observer or Scott would have it in the fight.

One of the HMMWVs came under fire at the end of the turn taking a penetrating shot from a 1st MRC BMP 3... still looks to be alive however.

Enemy%2BRelief%2BForce.JPG

1st MRC - The base of fire containing the three T90s and more and more BMP 3s (as they came on line) destroyed Scott's infantry on the left flank of center hill (blue outlined area).

Next turn the BMPs will pick up the pace and drive into Scott's remnants in the treeline between the two MRCs.

1st%2BMRC.JPG