CM Black Sea – BETA Battle Report - Russian Side

Update: Sorry guys, Scott decided to get a new computer and has been busy setting it up.. I don't know when I'll see the next turn, hopefully tonight, but it could be a day or two longer even.

I also wanted to mention a few things... while I've been waiting I rewatched the last few turns, and I now don't think Scott has three BMP 2s left in his Relief Force MRC, instead he only has two... I misidentified a UI icon from a destroyed BMP 2 as another vehicle. Also, it looks like he finally might have moved his Tunguska away from the ridge it had been sitting on. Must have run out of targets.

Anyway, I know he has reinforcements coming.. however I don't know when. I expect it'll be at either the 10, 15, or 20 minute marks... the first of those is three minutes away so I need to hurry up and kill this Relief Force and get ready for his A-team to arrive. I hope they aren't coming in until minute 20 or later. ;)

We have played seven minutes of I think an hour and a half battle. I seriously doubt it'll go that long.

Hmm.. think about this, Scott has practically lost his entire initial Relief Force in seven minutes (really in the last three minutes), a few more turns and I should have them all in the bag (I hope I have time to finish them off before his main US force arrives.

One email from him a turn ago or so simply said: "You are so dead when my Abrams show up."

;)

We have played seven minutes of I think an hour and a half battle. I seriously doubt it'll go that long.

Hmm.. think about this, Scott has practically lost his entire initial Relief Force in seven minutes (really in the last three minutes), a few more turns and I should have them all in the bag (I hope I have time to finish them off before his main US force arrives.

One email from him a turn ago or so simply said: "You are so dead when my Abrams show up."

;)

Well I'm not so sure. Those BMP3's are really scary. Great and exciting AAR by the way, I keep on checking for updates.

We have played seven minutes of I think an hour and a half battle. I seriously doubt it'll go that long. ;)

Wow...5-7 minutes of some pretty serious carnage.

Bil - Fantastic AAR, as always...I've really enjoyed this. As I'm a major noob in the area of modern warfare (the real modern warfare, not that console stuff!), CM opens up yet another area of research and discovery.

Well I'm not so sure. Those BMP3's are really scary. Great and exciting AAR by the way, I keep on checking for updates.

They are really scary until there is a smoking hole in both sides of them, with a bloody great ammo explosion in the middle. The Tugunska has already demonstrated that they are not exactly bullet proof. Bill has had a huge firepower margin until this point, and has used it ruthlessly and effectively. He has also used almost all of his artillery. I agreed with that decision, by the way. Still the U.S. support assets are supposed to come online at about the same time The Abrams show up. Its gonna get LOUD out there, on our thankfully imaginary battlefield.

Still the U.S. support assets are supposed to come online at about the same time The Abrams show.

Dan, I suspected this (as I have yet to see any support fire from Scott) but I did not know it for certain.

I know that was an inadvertent slip, just be careful of any cross pollination from Scott's thread. ;)

Well.. Let's see what a few well placed krisanthema (supersonic atgm ) shots (before they die), mi-28 havoc , su-25 strikes and flanking shots from T-90s in ambush positions will do to his supposedly unbeatable Abrams ubertanks. Also, the BMP-3s will die a lot for sure but they can seriously ruin his M1's day, setting them up for other assets. Combined arms !

Destroy that Tunguska before it can hamper your air power !

Well.. Let's see what a few well placed krisanthema (supersonic atgm ) shots (before they die), mi-28 havoc , su-25 strikes and flanking shots from T-90s in ambush positions will do to his supposedly unbeatable Abrams ubertanks. Also, the BMP-3s will die a lot for sure but they can seriously ruin his M1's day, setting them up for other assets. Combined arms !

Destroy that Tunguska before it can hamper your air power !

The M1A2 SEP is as close to an uber tank as we are going to see in this game.

I have not taken T-90AMs against an M1A2 SEP yet so this will be interesting... the T-90AM does have active and passive protection against ATGM threats, plus ERA so should be able to handle fire from Bradleys just fine, but the Abrams will be a different matter. My goal will be to provide too many threats from too many directions for him to cope with... whether that will be possible in this terrain remains to be seen.

The BMP-3s in my hands will not be going after M1s unless I can get some rear aspect shots... rather I will focus them on any IFV threats I can identify. BMP-3M (Arena) should be on fairly equal terms with the Bradley... but this will be the first time I have fought this force against a US force... I am confident, but also realistic. I know the US force is going to be a bitch to deal with... which is why I am trying to kill the Ukrainian MRC and the US Recon elements as quickly as possible.. to:

1. Remove that threat from the board

2. Give me freedom of maneuver for setting up to deal with the US reinforcements coming on line shortly

3. To hopefully effect Scott's psyche and make him second guess his decisions, maybe make him rash and impulsive

4. To keep Scott in a reactive posture and maintain the initiative

Regardless of how this develops I am satisfied with my performance to this point and I have high confidence moving forward into the next stage of the battle. Saying that, I am supposed to be on the defensive in this battle.. I know it doesn't look like it at this point, but I suspect Scott will be bringing at least equal or perhaps superior numbers of US forces to the fight and that will require me to use far different tactics.

Regarding the Tunguska, I have four tanks moving on that piece of equipment in two tank sections on two separate avenues of approach... I'm sure he will see/hear them coming and will at least be forced to keep that thing off the line to keep it alive.

Regarding the Tunguska, I have four tanks moving on that piece of equipment in two tank sections on two separate avenues of approach...

That Tunguska has been a little glimmer of hope and success for your opponent thus far - certainly the mission kill on the T-90 would've given me hope if I were in his shoes. Should be satisfying for you to finally take it out or force it to displace.

Everywhere else though the battle has been going largely your way; any ballpark ideas of how many enemy infantry you've killed or wounded?

...any ballpark ideas of how many enemy infantry you've killed or wounded?

I don't have an exact count, but I saw a lot of UI icons wink out last turn on the left flank of center hill and a few more on the right. I suspect I have totally routed two complete platoons, and killed a good portion of those. The third platoon is more of a question mark... the BMPs for it were in the treeline between my two MRCs, but that doesn't mean that's where its infantry were. I'll find out shortly though. ;)

I'll get a better battle damage assessment on his infantry casualties as I walk through the engagement area.

I'll get a better battle damage assessment on his infantry casualties as I walk through the engagement area.

So you remain confident that 1st MRC will be able to (1) drive into the flank of and mop up Scott's remnant forces in the center of the map, AND (2) deploy those same units in the appropriate defensive posture to meet the approaching US forces?

This will be very interesting to watch!

So you remain confident that 1st MRC will be able to (1) drive into the flank of and mop up Scott's remnant forces in the center of the map, AND (2) deploy those same units in the appropriate defensive posture to meet the approaching US forces?

This will be very interesting to watch!

Good question... it all depends on how much time I have until those forces arrive in the AO. ;)

Also, I have more than just 1st MRC.. sure 1st MRC is indeed attacking into what I hope is the flank of the Ukrainian MRC, but 2nd MRC will go over into preparation mode and get in to the best positions possible to meet the US force... I do not know where these forces will appear.. other than along the back edge of the map somewhere but I want to control the key ground and make him fight me through the close terrain... I do not want to get in to a slugging match in the open... I think I would come off poorly in that kind of fight.

Agreed, Bil -- I can see where 2nd MRC will be well-positioned when the US forces hit the map. I can also see how your flanking 1st MRC forces, if caught at the wrong time, can be flanked themselves if the US comes in at the "wrong" time and in the "wrong" part of the map.

But I have total faith in your ability to foresee such events!

Air Support Plan

While we are waiting for Scott to get his new computer online I thought I'd share my Air Support Plan. Basically I neglected to plan my air support during setup.. what that oversight did to me was keep me from plotting all of my air support at the same time. So a few turns ago I called in my SU-25s. In this game only an Air Controller can call in air support (other than UAVs which can be called in by any HQ unit), but what you can now do is link your support assets. This works the same for artillery and air support... by shift clicking you can select more than one support asset (in this case two SU-25s) and plot them on to the same target.

As can be seen I plotted the aircraft to an area right in front of 2nd MRC.. I plotted this a few turns ago so didn't really have much good intelligence on where the enemy units were located, or where the reinforcements will come in.. so I plotted this area in the middle of where his setup zone was and crossed my fingers. They will come in on turn 15 or 16.

Obviously, and as can be seen I cannot plot my helo support until this support is finished. That sucks, but it's also realistic... going to make it VERY tough to use them effectively.

SU-25s.JPG

UAVs

Any HQ unit can plot a UAV.. again I wish I had done this during setup, but I didn't so am stuck with these outrageous delivery times:

UAV%2B-%2B1st%2BMRC.JPG

This one was stupid, I think I'll adjust this one:

UAV%2B-%2B2nd%2BMRC.JPG

UAV%2B-%2BPocket.jpg