CM Black Sea – BETA Battle Report - Russian Side

The T-34/85 was a much better tank and thé optics problem was resolved when the industries that had to move east finished resettling and stabilizing. You'll try to produce quality optics or quality anything else when you are moving most of your industrial base in a hurry a few thousand km away to the east. It was a miracle. But the t-34 turret was a very badly thought out design and stupid. They probably didnt consult the military when designing it. The hull and chassis was very good with angled armor and Christie's suspension. That's why they kept it on the T-34/85.

Edited by antaress73

Can wind direction suddenly become very important?  How many rounds of smoke are the main vehicles carrying?  And while I am reeling off random questions, how injurious is it to infantry.

I can envision all sorts of maneuvers involving popping in, out, and around out of smoke screens......

Sorry Dan I missed this question, and am not sure anybody else answered it... normally armored vehicles carry two smoke launchers... I don't think that normally those can be reloaded from within the vehicle, so once both launchers fire off you are done.  Someone more tech savvy please correct me if I am wrong here.  I've never seen infantry suffer casualties from vehicle smoke grenades.

By the way, wind direction and strength has always been important when using smoke, or when waiting for dust to clear.  Smoke should be used like a temporary terrain obstruction.

Note: on the real M1 smoke grenades can be fired in salvos of 6 (3 from each launcher), or all 12 at once... I don't think they ever fire all 12 at once in the game.

Edited by Bil Hardenberger

Yes, it does, it was pretty much blind. In combat, the gunner/commander was usually on the gun sight, with the overhead hatch closed. This meant he had no ability at all to scan around for targets. There are plenty of German accounts describing how the early T-34s were just driving straight ahead, completly unaware of what was going on around them.

There were rotating 360 degrees periscopic sight. And MK-IV on later models with cupola. German TCs didn't have it and had too look through holes in the armor, by the way.

I should clarify. Problem is not that T-34 spots slower than T-IV, problem that it doesn't spot at all. Even if crew knows, that there is an enemy. (there is a question mark)

Playing computer simulator is a bad argument, I know. I played "Steel fury" simulator, with view only from inside the tank, through periscopic sight. It is hard, but tank is far not blind. And if you know where is an enemy - no problems at all.

There were rotating 360 degrees periscopic sight. And MK-IV on later models with cupola. German TCs didn't have it and had too look through holes in the armor, by the way.

I should clarify. Problem is not that T-34 spots slower than T-IV, problem that it doesn't spot at all. Even if crew knows, that there is an enemy. (there is a question mark)

Playing computer simulator is a bad argument, I know. I played "Steel fury" simulator, with view only from inside the tank, through periscopic sight. It is hard, but tank is far not blind. And if you know where is an enemy - no problems at all.

Please respect the AAR and move this discussion to the RT forum.

Bil,

He doesn't list the actual turn, which makes comparison difficult. Simply put, a Bradley and a T-90AM went at it, with Bradley firing first. Didn't help. Thanks to your list, though, I can now say it was the Eleventh Minute-Part 1. Did he do anything more than detonate a few ERA blocks before you blasted him? You don't show the T-90AM's post engagement vehicle status panel. Was wondering if he broke any sensors, franged your CROWS or damaged anything on the tank of military consequence? On a separate note, the link you explicitly gave in your No. 279 works great, while the one below the rule called CMBS BETA AAR-Contents doesn't. Instead, it takes you to a page with your battle drills and such but says that what's being sought isn't there.

Update

He just posted what I believe to be Eleventh Minute-Part 2. Tigr lost to Tunguska. I think I've had too much upheaval on my end, for I'd swear I read your posts religiously, yet all these things happen, but somehow they're not registering. Looks as though I'm going to have to back there and read forward until I get caught up.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

Thanks John, sounds like he is still four turns behind then... yikes.

Re: the T-90.. it took minor sensor damage. nothing to be too concerned about.  It is on its way to join the force attacking the Ukrainian force in the pocket.. I do not want a T90 with even minor damage going up against M1s... recipe for disaster.

Just got the next turn... sigh... I was definitely set up to fail in this scenario, I am now convinced of that.  

I count at least 10 M1A2s and better than 2 companies of Americans as Scott's reinforcements...  I will get in to the specifics on this one later, but suffice it to say that it is not pretty... and this game is all but over.  I cannot stop Scott from doing whatever he wants with this concentration of force.  

I need to recover a bit before I post on this turn.

Don't lose heart, Bil. You are better than that. Look for the unexpected and play it for all it's worth. Scott could yet miss a beat that would leave him open to a riposte. Make something happen that will throw him off balance and exploit the heck out of it. Your situation is not ideal, and to a perfectionist like you, that can be depressing. I know for I am one too. But you don't have to be perfect to win, just better than your opponent.

Michael

Just got the next turn... sigh... I was definitely set up to fail in this scenario, I am now convinced of that.  

I count at least 10 M1A2s and better than 2 companies of Americans as Scott's reinforcements...  

Totally get where you are coming from. Hopefully scenario will be rebalanced before release and play through's like this are essential.

The catch with this one is you have the whole world (CMers) watching.

Your AAR is excellent and even if you end game soon it has given a great insight to the game. Hope you will fight on for a bit to allow us to see some action in the buildings? Maybe if you force the Americans to fight urban you can squeeze a draw?

Bah! A defeatist attitude will lose the battle more assuredly than any casualties! You are the commander: expend your men's lives as you would use your money to buy a cup of coffee.

Besides, Abrams consume a lot of fuel. Run his tanks dry, then plunge in!

;)

That's a pretty massive force, coming all of it into play simultaneously. Which probably is going to start acquiring and firing at enemy targets right away... spectacular fireworks, indeed. You might get lucky with all that chaos ensuing: your force is deployed for combat, and Scott's isn't.

What are the chances of friendly fire being a concern for Scott? His air support could be well be fragging friendlies, if they start using fragmentation bombs and other nasty stuff. I am not sure what are the ranges, but they do seem very close.

Last, what's the VP situation like? You might not win by KO, but you could still win on points :)

Edited by BletchleyGeek