CM Black Sea – BETA Battle Report - Russian Side

It is an interesting plan. But I do always cringe a little when so much artillery is used and it is not followed up with an assault.

Great point.

Arty=suppression. It's best followed by immediate advance and taking of ground. However, that's kind of what Bil's doing. He's suppressing the town (where that atgm came from) while he takes the dominating ground.

It will be interesting to see what happens when that artillery stops landing in the town.

"It's gonna be a hot one, Buzz."

:)

Great point.

Arty=suppression. It's best followed by immediate advance and taking of ground. However, that's kind of what Bil's doing. He's suppressing the town (where that atgm came from) while he takes the dominating ground.

It will be interesting to see what happens when that artillery stops landing in the town.

"It's gonna be a hot one, Buzz."

:)

As soon as the mortar fires stops or gets close to stopping on the Power Plant I am most definitely going to attack it with the dismounted 3rd MRC. As for the rest, Scott has shown that they have enough teeth to really hurt me so I will need to do something about them as well. But that is for a later time. I am thinking 3rd MRC and the Recon company will have to deal with them and keep them busy.

c3k, "...immediate advance and taking of ground....." Sounds like Attack :)

Bil, "As soon as the mortar fires stops or gets close to stopping on the Power Plant I am most definitely going to attack it with the dismounted 3rd MRC. ..."

And that Gentlemen is how Bil rolls ;)

Gonna be fun. Light em Up!

Isn't Modern just so freaking cool!

The Fourth Minute

War in the modern environment is simply brutal. For example in the fourth minute the 2nd MRC has come under fire from Scott's Tunguska, this time it did indeed have an effect. The rear most T90AM was its first victim...

The fire caused a lot of damage as can be seen by the following image. It can still drive and more importantly fire, though I will keep this tank as a reserve as it is seriously degraded.

T90AM-Damage.JPG

The T90 was able to get a few area fire rounds off and the Tunguska backed off... at first I thought this movement was in answer to this tank fire, but shortly afterwards it opened fire again this time hitting my dismounts on the hill top... I suffered about four casualties across three teams, it could have been much worse. Unfortunately, I have nothing in a position to return fire on this vehicle.

Note: I apologize, but I cannot get too close to my infantry yet, still waiting on textures.

The following images show the situation in front of 1st and 2nd MRCs... 1st MRC seems unopposed right now, though I do indeed expect that Scott has something in front of them. While the infantry continues to scout the front some of 1st MRC's vehicles will be taking up a Support by Fire (SBF) position enfilade on the spotted enemy units facing 2nd MRC. They are emplacing behind a smoke screen, when that clears, they hopefully should be able to really cause some hurt on the enemy Ukrainian Platoon (+) so far spotted.

As can be seen, it appears there may be as many four BMP-2s now in the area. A new, probably US unknown vehicle (truck?) has also appeared. It looks like Scott is focused mainly on the 2nd MRC.

1st%2B%26%2B2nd%2BMRCs.JPG

The Pocket

A bit of news in the pocket this turn, the first ATGM team was eliminated by BMP-3 air burst and the second (the one that killed one of my BMP 3s last turn) pulled out of position into one of the buildings on the edge of town, chased by recon team fire the whole way.

A new BMP2 was spotted moving and was last seen (by a BMP3) turning towards my recon screen (the BMP2 and BMP3 are both highlighted in this image).

The following image shows the situation, and all of the identified enemy units labeled. Note the arrows that show how I plan on assaulting the Power Station in a few turns.

Pocket.JPG

Bil,

Your unfortunate tank neatly illustrates a point I've been meaning to make: the fragility of modern tanks which are covered with important systems which are vulnerable to high ROF weapons of sufficient size and/or frag munitions. We're way past replacing a radio aerial here. Though your tank is still fightable, the Tunguska bursts have created a repair problem equal to a sizable chunk of the entire cost of the tank, one which hits the Russians where it hurts: the high tech end. Had you been in the impact zone for, say, DPICM, I'd imagine you'd have a lot of red where you already do, but also other hits, such as engine type ones. A real attention getter of a turn. The nasty, brutish and short nature of warfare with those precision ranged airburst weapons also falls under the same rubric. Finally, your vid indicates a collision detection problem, as seen by the gun barrel's ignoring the external fuel drum and traversing right through it.

Regards,

John Kettler

People who bought/played the CMSF NATO module will recognize the havoc those Russian AA vehicles can inflict. In CMSF's case it was Shilka doing the damage, scouring the optics right off the top of any Abrams unlucky enough to stumble into their path. According to Wikipedia NATO considered the Shilka to be so dangerous that standing orders required NATO pilots to destroy any Shilka observed, even if doing so required the pilot to abandon his mission. One would suppose that would go double for Tunguska.

Great threat to low flying aircraft these Shorads, gone are gun runs and dump bomb drops...

Maybe slightly off topic, but here we see the reason why the US Air Force wants to retire the A-10. It is simply not survivable in the face of modern AA systems. It works great in places like Iraq and Afghanistan, dropping bombs on insurgents that can't shoot back, but the Air Force doesn't want to keep an aircraft that would be pretty much totally useless in a fight against a more modern opponent.

Some people clearly don't understand this though, as evidenced by the very vocal campaign to keep the A-10 in service.

Swings and roundabouts..at some points defense systems have the upper hand and at other periods offensive systems have the upper hand. The death of the tank has been spoken about often over the years but it will then get it's bite back..until they can combat that. This is what drives arms development.

J

Bil,

Your unfortunate tank neatly illustrates a point I've been meaning to make: the fragility of modern tanks which are covered with important systems which are vulnerable to high ROF weapons of sufficient size and/or frag munitions. We're way past replacing a radio aerial here. Though your tank is still fightable, the Tunguska bursts have created a repair problem equal to a sizable chunk of the entire cost of the tank, one which hits the Russians where it hurts: the high tech end. Had you been in the impact zone for, say, DPICM, I'd imagine you'd have a lot of red where you already do, but also other hits, such as engine type ones. A real attention getter of a turn. The nasty, brutish and short nature of warfare with those precision ranged airburst weapons also falls under the same rubric. Finally, your vid indicates a collision detection problem, as seen by the gun barrel's ignoring the external fuel drum and traversing right through it.

Regards,

John Kettler

JSj,

Do you realize the A-10 was specifically designed to fight in high threat environments? The pilot's cockpit armor protection is designed to survive 57 mm hits and is a titanium bathtub. The windshield is proof against direct 23 mm fire, and the plane has repeatedly flown in a 12.7/14.5/23/37/57 mm MG and AAG environment. The engines on an A-10 are widely separated, independently controlled and armored, too. Flight controls are multiply redundant and have separate linkages.

Some examples of A-10 ability to take terrible punishment and still come home.

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Stories1/001-100/0016_A-10-battle-damage/story0016.htm

Hers looks light compared to this one. Practically blew the engine right off its mount.

http://warthognews.blogspot.com/2011/06/from-archives-10-80-0258-from-172nd.html

Got back despite this!

http://www.jetav8r.com/A10Gallery1/0420.jpg

The plane carries more than its own weight in ordnance, can stay over the battlefield for long periods and is highly maneuverable. I think it would be somewhere one the continuum of extremely ill advised-criminal-criminally insane to do away with the A-10. If the high tech sensors and weapons fail, the F-16s and such are going to be hugely affected, whereas the A-10 can always brute force the kill and work below cloud ceilings the high speed birds wouldn't. When a battlefield target needs killing, the A-10's got it covered. It may not be glamorous or effective, but the troops swear by it.

GIFs

Gun run

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view4/2966826/a10-thunderbolt-o.gif

Bomb run

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view3/1803082/a-10-warthog-o.gif

Frankly, I think we need to build new ones!

Regards,

John Kettler

Someone was once quoted as saying the A-10 is nothing more than a modern day version of a Stuka.

So long as it operates where we have air dominance it will do fine. If that goes away it could become very challenging for the A-10.

I think its not going away anytime soon, regardless of what the Air Force wants.