Does CMBS create a first for forum discussion?

Macisle

Hey, guys.

I just read ChrisND's post on political discussion. I thought it was a good time to post something I've been pondering. Once CMBS is out, it is possible that you will have people on both sides of the conflict, who are actually involved in the fighting, also playing CMBS and commenting on the forum. Heck, some actual fighters may use it for tactical training/planning/analysis!

I know that some of that possibility existed for CMSF, but I think that, given the location of the conflict and the parties involved, along with the advances in media technology (and CM!) since the release of CMSF, this stands to be a very unique situation and possibly a historical first.

Let's all do our best to keep the discussions civil and to keep open minds. I for one am looking forward to the opportunity to learn.

Video games have been used for military purposes for a long time now. Video games are often converted into more detailed/authentic simulations for training purposes. If your budget is low, then sure, you could use the vanilla versions of games like Black Sea.

Of course. I meant the opportunity for people actively involved in the conflict on both sides at the tactical level to discuss things in an open forum, while using the same "tactical simulation tool."

Oh I think the premise that people on both sides of the current conflict will be playing this game and possibly commenting on this forum is entirely valid. Highly likely in fact.

Even though you correctly point out that the back story and even the available units in the game do not look like they match up exactly, there will still be heated discussions here that skate on the edge of the line.

I wouldn't say it's a first, we had lots of CMSF players who were touring in Iraq and Afghanistan. I suppose we didn't have any Taliban members in these forums for some reason, but we did have one pro-Assad Syrian before the civil war started. That he hasn't posted here recently makes me think a) he's become a refugee B) he's serving in SAA and doesn't have the time or c) he's dead.

I wouldn't expect actual Russia-Ukraine combatants to post here, either (and I would be highly suspicious of anyone claiming to be one). If you are in the middle of it then you probably have other priorities during your free time, unless you really are such a massive wargame nerd that the most relaxing thing after getting a leave from being shelled and shot at is to go to a foreign wargame forum. Ardent cybernationalists who have nothing to do with the actual fighting being directed here from their own communities is a more likely scenario.

The real-world Ukraine conflict is pretty darned inconvenient for BFC. They had come up with the title long before any shooting began and I suspect they were hoping the conflict would be long over before the game released. But that wasn't what fate had in store. People have asked why no Vietnam war title. Partially, I suspect, because 40 years later the topic remains VERY touchy for some people - they'd need a 'no politics' rule for that forum too if they ever did the game.

Controversy has never hurt a game. If it comes to that, we all know the deal, and BFC has the posts to prove it wasn't taking advantage of the situation. But in the end any spotlight shined on BFC is gonna make them money.

Mord.

Hi,

I think most people are very restrained.

You can sense people are very tempted to say something then hold back. But I have seen some let fly. They “assume...” near all decent people would share their views. Which of course is not the case.

I would love to see a Yom Kippur War game... OK there is a limit to how many different scenarios one could build.. but it is by a huge margin the biggest post- war clash of “toy rich arms..” and almost weird they have not done it yet.

But strict no politics rules would be needed.

If we do more post-war settings, and goodness “not doing Yom Kippur..” would be very odd, I hope the powers that be are very strict on no politics in the sense of who is right and wrong.

A strictly enforced rule would make anything doable quite easily.

Lucky to have CM at all... just look at the competition.. ;)

All the best,

Kip.

The real-world Ukraine conflict is pretty darned inconvenient for BFC.

???

The conflict will surely not hurt sales. I expect that many new players will buy the game because of it. How can that be inconvenient for a company?

It is not like they started the conflict for marketing purposes.

I would love to see a Yom Kippur War game...

I have been advocating that for at least a decade. And not just the '73 war. There have been four major Arab-Israeli conflicts and several minor ones, and at a minimum '48, '56, '67, and '73 all offer interesting battles to look at. It is a fascinating era and theater to look at. The contrast between two different military systems but both using contemporary weapons technologies is very revealing.

Michael

The conflict in Ukraine will only bolster the sales. It is naive to think otherwise (no offense). It may be a niche game, but people people will still buy it and get into once the PC gaming media gets on it. And believe me, this game is ripe for clickbait once its released.

PC Gamer, RockPaperShotgun, GameSpot, IGN, etc. will all clickbait headlines that say something like "Ever think the recent conflict in Ukraine would make a good game? Well, These devs did..."

Many of my RT and CM opponents are german and russian players.

So the game is played in countries close to the conflict for sure.

Back in CMBB days i had heaps of russian pbm opponents i played against.

However if i was in a real conflict area as said i wouldnt be playing a game lol

id be out protecting my family and area i lived in.