Scenario design tutorial?

You can check out this thread that covers the subject in some depth.

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=110294

While the tutorial is for the WWII version of the CMx2 engine, for the most part, the screenshots and procedures are similar.

I don't know who is still active on this particular forum that still routinely creates scenarios still other than Combatintman but he is a wealth of information. He might pop into this thread or you can trying giving him a shout out if you need help with some concept. At the very minimum, he can point you to other resources or other scenario designers.

GeorgeMC also does wonderful scenario work but I haven't seen him post much in the last several months but he is still around so and can likewise help or point you to other resources.

There are others, but as I said, I haven't seen them post in a while - they most likely are on the Black Sea subforum these days.

Hi, is there a tutorial on designing map/scenario available somewhere? Sorry I'm new

I did one for CMSF a while back (link in my sig below). It's a quick and dirty version but it will get you started. As BlackMoria mentioned JonS did one for the slightly newer version of the game engine but it does make reference to options that are not available in CMSF currently.Still it's worth checking as whilst mine deals with the basic mechanics of creating a map his deals a lot more with the philosophy if designing scenarios.

Mr Centipede feel free to ask on the forums - I am by no means the font of all knowledge but will do my best to answer your questions. If you want to discuss the individual concepts of a mission without revealing all on the forums then feel free to PM me.

Given that you are totally new, I'd start with the manual - it does cover most of the mechanics. If there is something in there that you don't understand, have a look at George's manual as this steps through the mechanics pretty well. Once you've got your head around all of that then have a look at JonS's thread mentioned in BlackMoria's post.

• 1 month later...

Ok, so I am seriously wrestling with making sense of the AI.  I can make the insurgents pretty much do what I want in terms of movements and actions...at least until initial contact, but the Syrians are a PITA.

Big first question...do you have to paint a SETUP objective area or does the regular setup zone fulfill that...I.E. do I have to give some sort of setup command? I may be messing things up from the get-go...I am using pre-designed QB maps for now...figure I should master the AI before trying the arts and crafts of mapmaking.

Second...what effect does an initial artillery bombardment have on your initial orders and HOW can I either suppress or delay that bombardment?  Every single scenario I am trying to design with Syrians starts with a huge 3-4 minute Syrian initial artillery barrage and I assume that no Syrian units move till that it done...big PITA, as my units don't appear to move at ALL when the artillery is done.

I think I have the basic mechanics down...but the subtitles of making the pieces all work together is enormously frustrating...never mind if my moves are tactically sound...that's another problem, of course.

I have read the Sheriff of Osterbeek tutorial and George MCs excellent tutorial, but I am clearly missing something....

Thanks.

Edited by grunt_GI

Ok, back again...sorry for the FNG type questions, but I would really like to get the hang of this AI..so many possibilities...

SO, now I think I have figured out one thing, but still have a question...i was loading a pre made QB map and I think the AI with it was messing me up...made a dirt simple map from scratch and Syrians behaved for my simple AI

However, would still like to know how to control Syrian indirect fire timing and location...is that the fire plan menu of the Red Plan?  I am not a good map maker (yet) so would like to reuse all the wonderful maps available.

Maybe a better question is how can I CLEAR the pre canned AI with a QB map so I can start over with my own?

Thanks much.

Maybe a better question is how can I CLEAR the pre canned AI with a QB map so I can start over with my own?

This is how I work with Quick Battle maps.  I open one in the editor and then save it with a different file name.  I generally save it in the scenario folder.  This keeps the original quick battle map "safe" and I am free to modify the copy.  (When you go to open it the map will be under battles on the main menu)  Then I open this copy with the editor.  Open AI plans and delete them.  You can also set some of them to never use however you will have to have at least one to fight against.  So at least this one I will delete and make my own AI plan in its place.  In the Red and Blue purchase screens I will change the forces fighting each other also.

It is difficult to get the AI arty to fire except in the first few minutes.  One thing you can try and I am struggling with this myself, is to set your mortars as reinforcements.  So if you want the mortars to fire at 40 minutes into the battle set the mortars to arrive as reinforcements at 35 minutes.  Then they might fire.  Below is a link to a thread where Combatintman explained the arty situation. 

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/116734-cmsf-editor-ai-artillery/?p=1557096 

Edited by MOS:96B2P

Thanks...I was able to get the AI to work on a couple of different QB maps....I was clearly trying to be overly complicated and not watching the map placement of objective areas...AND, apparently I just need to ensure I delete all the AI plans...still trying to figure this out...I don't mind the opening artillery...although on the receiving end it can be a bear...however, my concern is if this opening artillery messes with my unit movements and timing...after all, moving under the screen of an artillery bombardment is ideal.

Still learning...thanks for the help.

Was able to play my own scenario, and had a great battle...only a tactical victory...ran out of time...