After Black Sea I will be at a loss for Battlefront's next step

Sequoia

I'm not a programming wizard but I don't think that's true. I mean, there are Mac versions of games which use DirectX on PC so this is very doable I think. And if that's true, it doesn't mean losing that part of the playerbase.

And yes, the engine upgrade would be a great thing, it could help performance on newest hardware, get rid of zigzag roads you mentioned, perhaps change the way the environment works and add some more variety not only on per tile basis and many other things, not to mention the graphics upgrade.

But I guess we'll see quite a few more of the current engine games since switching to a new one is infinitely more work (and money) than creating more games in the current one. So we need to wait until Battlefront decide themselves that it is worth it to make the switch.

No, DirectX is Windows proprietary. You have to use OpenGL for anything other than a Windows platform. You can ofcourse do parallel development for DirectX and OpenGL.

Anyways, I've never understood why there is such a large customer base for the Mac versions appearently, that is pretty unusual I think.

Also, I am putting some expectations into GT's Mius Front game, maybe that will also set some new impulses to the CM series.

I hope they develop CMx3 and stop milking the CMx2 engine over and over again.

I'm beginning to wonder if that might not be a good idea. I could be mistaken, but from where I sit it looks as if CMx2 may already be starting to show its years. It may be that some of the problems that have appeared recently might be the result of too many features being loaded onto a base code no longer robust enough to bear them, and they are not working well together. Or I could be completely mistaken. Time will tell.

Michael

Maybe rhe next thing is the poor house. I just added up all of my CMx2 purchase costs, $562.00 including shipping. I do own them all but it builds up quickly. It's just a hobby, dear. Honest.

Bah that's not even a season's green fees. Which is why I don't golf, or surf. There are more expensive hobbies.

I say bring on CM:TTT as in Twilight 2020. Make the T-90's you have now more dented, rusted and battleworn, have the squadies in torn jeans and mixed military garb, the terrain arid and broken. We are good to go.

Maybe rhe next thing is the poor house. I just added up all of my CMx2 purchase costs, $562.00 including shipping. I do own them all but it builds up quickly. It's just a hobby, dear. Honest.

And over how many years and game hours are those cost acumulated? Seriously, I buy food for some 500$ a month. I pay 150$ a month for cable/streaming tv services. Over the years CM costs are peanuts compared to what you get out of it.

Er, are you sure about that? Please explain your reasoning as all I know is that all the games beginning with SF have been in CMx2.

Michael

Note: Black Sea uses Version 3 of the Combat Mission game engine. Consequently new features are focused on bringing our modern equipment up to date as opposed to general engine changes.

(http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=334&Itemid=576)

Stalingrad -> Uranus -> Winter Storm .... need more CMx3 Snow !

Too much greenery and flowers about atm ....

Need gritty rubble, assault guns crunching over bodies in the street, Molotov Cocktails thrown from buildings .... Tanks rumbling out of factories into battle ... strafing of Soviet conscripts as they take the ferry ....

Ok - off to watch Enemy At the Gates .... just to get my fix on the visuals ;)

I am switching to a mac and am in the process of rebuying everything (except for CMSF). But with bundles and download only, it's only about $275.

Not counting Black Sea, which I haven't ordered yet.

On topic: I'd like a France 1940 vehicle pack. And maybe some scenarios. And some maps. And maybe special Maginot line/ Eben Emael fortification rules. And of course French and BEF troops. And Dutch and Danish troops, too.

I thought that meant version 3.0 of the CMx2 engine.

Thats what it means.

Its the same old CMx2 engine with some new features.

The foundation of Black Sea game is a over 7 year old engine that has its expiry date long exceeded.

But (and for a commercial company thats fine) it looks like Battlefront thinks they can make much more money creating module after module and charge money for feature updates to existing games (some call them patches).

In the end, the customer decides if and when they will develop a real CMx3 engine.

It will be the day that they notice that the CMx2 modules and games no longer sell that well...

I skipped every game since the Normandy game and will not buy Black Sea either.

Paying 60$ for a 7 year old game with some new content is clearly not for everyone.

Thats what it means.

Its the same old CMx2 engine with some new features.

The foundation of Black Sea game is a over 7 year old engine that has its expiry date long exceeded.

But (and for a commercial company thats fine) it looks like Battlefront thinks they can make much more money creating module after module and charge money for feature updates to existing games (some call them patches).

In the end, the customer decides if and when they will develop a real CMx3 engine.

It will be the day that they notice that the CMx2 modules and games no longer sell that well...

I skipped every game since the Normandy game and will not buy Black Sea either.

Paying 60$ for a 7 year old game with some new content is clearly not for everyone.

The issues with the game have more to do with the OS and drivers we run on than the engine. Most users could not support a heftier game, they barely run in it now whereas my machine runs it fine. You might want to reorient your thinking because you are to put it in a word - wrong.

The issues with the game have more to do with the OS and drivers we run on than the engine. Most users could not support a heftier game, they barely run in it now whereas my machine runs it fine. You might want to reorient your thinking because you are to put it in a word - wrong.

They barely run it now due to faults in the engine. The game could definitely use a better engine, just for the performance improvements alone. As fun as the game is, it does run like crap, even on very high end modern systems.

They barely run it now due to faults in the engine. The game could definitely use a better engine, just for the performance improvements alone. As fun as the game is, it does run like crap, even on very high end modern systems.

Exactly, a better optimized and well adapted engine could do both...look better and run better.

But anyway its not about graphics, its about gameplay and features.

I have no idea what you are running it on, but it doesn't run like crap on mine. And no it usually isn't faults in the engine, it is usually the fault of OS, driver issues and hardware that BF has to tweak for.

And just to be clear, I wouldn't mind a newer engine especially if it was able to handle AS spotting calculations differently to decrease the oomph required. I'd also like to see different capabilities like firing a bazooka around the corner of a building etc, but the engine as it is is not running like some broken down 200,000 mile car.