After Black Sea I will be at a loss for Battlefront's next step

Sequoia

I mean they surprised us with the CMBN Vehicle Pack. The Red Thunder patch is out. After Black Sea I have no idea what Battlefront will do next. Yeah we know they want to do a Bulge Family but there's been no talk of that or anything else that might be a clue of which direction they want to go first after Black Sea. Maybe they'll just do a cruise on the BFC Yacht. I'm wouldn't doubt this starts a thread of wild wishes but have I missed some real clues?

Combat Mission Black Sea : NATO Forces

Combat Mission Black Sea : VDV vs Marines

Combat Mission Black Sea : Poland Ball

Combat Mission Bulge : Barrel Rolling Simulator

Combat Mission Red Thunder : Berlin Party

Just off the top of my head, 5 obvious module choices going forward. Of course, I have my fingers crossed for Combat Mission : Fulda Gap 1989

Steve has talked about revisiting CMSF for a modern desert conflict again.

I am looking forward to that a lot. Between CMBS and an updated CMSF modern war will be a ton of fun. I think Black Sea will give us a nice idea of how much cooler Shock Force will be with all the new additions.

Combat Mission 3

As much as I want to see that, I REALLY don't want to have to start the whole process over again. I hope that they could come up with a way that it's a giant upgrade or something for each title/module.

Mord.

Im in the camp of whatever they feed me Ill eat. There are some games you just buy for whatever reason and Combat Mission is one of them. Fortunately I play them a lot some every day.

Some other titles I buy simply because I have such respect and played in the past. Gary Grigsby games Ill buy even if I don't play them as much as I like.

BF and Combat Mission to me is in that rarified space. The cult classic that you keep coming back to.

Wiggum, we're already in game engine 3.

No we're not. We're in version 3 of the second game engine. CMx2 v3.

He didn't ask for another version of the same engine. He asked for a step change of the same magnitude as the progress from CMx1 to CMx2. You know, the difference between CMBO/BB/AK and CMBN/FI/RT. CMx3 Back to Normandy, but with a new engine that has a new architecture.

Maybe the change from OpenGL to whatever replaces that (DirectX) would constitute a new engine. Maybe that would remove some of the limitations that current architecture choices impose.

No we're not. We're in version 3 of the second game engine. CMx2 v3.

He didn't ask for another version of the same engine. He asked for a step change of the same magnitude as the progress from CMx1 to CMx2. You know, the difference between CMBO/BB/AK and CMBN/FI/RT. CMx3 Back to Normandy, but with a new engine that has a new architecture.

Maybe the change from OpenGL to whatever replaces that (DirectX) would constitute a new engine. Maybe that would remove some of the limitations that current architecture choices impose.

I doubt that will happen anytime soon. Not before at least the entire Eastern Front family is done. Also, switching to DirectX would kill any Mac version, and while I don't understand why, there seems to be a lot of people buying these versions.

But I hear you, would love to see some visual upgrade in form of a new engine, too. Done away with the zigzag roads.

Also, switching to DirectX would kill any Mac version, and while I don't understand why, there seems to be a lot of people buying these versions.

I'm not a programming wizard but I don't think that's true. I mean, there are Mac versions of games which use DirectX on PC so this is very doable I think. And if that's true, it doesn't mean losing that part of the playerbase.

And yes, the engine upgrade would be a great thing, it could help performance on newest hardware, get rid of zigzag roads you mentioned, perhaps change the way the environment works and add some more variety not only on per tile basis and many other things, not to mention the graphics upgrade.

But I guess we'll see quite a few more of the current engine games since switching to a new one is infinitely more work (and money) than creating more games in the current one. So we need to wait until Battlefront decide themselves that it is worth it to make the switch.