For those that reserve the special place in their heart for the infantry..

PeterH

What I dearly want is more detail in terms of additional objects and terrain based cover combined with a more intelligent unit-based AI when it comes to quickly ducking behind doorways and in/out of cover. Small unit action!!!!!

Maybe for Combat Mission 6..

I really think a lot of the solution is already in the game. People just need to spend enough time on map details.

The other part of the solution is that players need to stop issuing suicidal orders and/or the pixeltruppen need to stop following them. Improving the pixeltruppen is a massive AI challenge. Steve has also repeatedly stated that the average player hates it when units refuse orders. Player improvement......

Well you will for the most part never really improve us players, we suck. All develoeprs can try to do is make it ridiculously clear, IE why are your men running away? Oh they are being horribly whittled down by HMG fire and way too far away from their unit commander? I had no idea!

I would love to see some more animations though, and quicker transitions between them. I do realize how much work this is though, and if it is realized will not happen for a very long time.

I would love to see some more animations though, and quicker transitions between them. I do realize how much work this is though, and if it is realized will not happen for a very long time.

We've actually improved many of the infantry animations for Black Sea. Not all of the animations have been replaced, but many have been improved with more realistic poses. Plus, the most common weapons have much better hand placement. It was a ton of work for our animator Webwing (doing infantry animations, even things that you would think are very simple, is very time consuming), but I think it was worth it. I'm looking forward to showing them when we've gotten a bit further with the infantry art.

You have it all wrong. They do not refuse me: I must restrain them from their impetuous desires to prove themselves to me. They seek my approval. I allow some of them to do so, always in a glorious manner. Their lives are otherwise small, drab, and meaningless. They and I both l know this.

I really think a lot of the solution is already in the game. People just need to spend enough time on map details.

The other part of the solution is that players need to stop issuing suicidal orders and/or the pixeltruppen need to stop following them. Improving the pixeltruppen is a massive AI challenge. Steve has also repeatedly stated that the average player hates it when units refuse orders. Player improvement......

This is a cop out, IMHO. Pixeltruppen have been refusing orders since Close Combat in the late 90s - the market for realistic wargames expects to have less than full control of their troops. What really galls, is when the AI opponent merrily sends wave after wave of squads down the same street to their deaths. At some point, there is going to have to be a more dynamic path costing algorithm for the AI that takes account of what has happened on the battlefield previously.

We've actually improved many of the infantry animations for Black Sea. Not all of the animations have been replaced, but many have been improved with more realistic poses. Plus, the most common weapons have much better hand placement. It was a ton of work for our animator Webwing (doing infantry animations, even things that you would think are very simple, is very time consuming), but I think it was worth it. I'm looking forward to showing them when we've gotten a bit further with the infantry art.

Cool :) . Will this be backported later (CMx2 ww2)?

What really galls, is when the AI opponent merrily sends wave after wave of squads down the same street to their deaths. At some point, there is going to have to be a more dynamic path costing algorithm for the AI that takes account of what has happened on the battlefield previously.

I would love to see this type of "situational learning" to be coded.

This is a cop out, IMHO. Pixeltruppen have been refusing orders since Close Combat in the late 90s - the market for realistic wargames expects to have less than full control of their troops. What really galls, is when the AI opponent merrily sends wave after wave of squads down the same street to their deaths. At some point, there is going to have to be a more dynamic path costing algorithm for the AI that takes account of what has happened on the battlefield previously.

I was referring strictly to units under player control. They will attempt things that real troops would just not. Things that are immediately, obviously suicidal

The only way to play a fully competent opponent is to play another person. I don't see that changing anytime soon. Though it must be said that both sides spent the entire first world war doing pretty much the same thing your talking about.

Splendid! Just what the doctor ordered. Jolly good.

i know in shockforce infantry could attack armor from a couple hundred meters away will infantry be able to attack armor from greater ranges now

Let's put it this way. In CMBS you can never know for sure if you are about to get hit no matter where your tank is hiding. And the shot can come with absolutely no warning. Drones are changing everything. In terms of handheld AT capability, yeah infantry are totally lethal, but beware getting spotted. Life can be brutal and short on the modern battlefield.

That sounds very promising indeed! Its one of those things that can be a real nasty time consumer but in the end gives such a nice result. I look forward to seeing it!