For those that reserve the special place in their heart for the infantry..

PeterH

Any chance of some footage and/or pics? I know Chris mentioned in the stream that a large portion of the textures were still unfinished but one can always hope!

As pretty as the vehicles are, I've always preferred infantry fighting and scenarios.

EDIT: Also I forgot to ask, how much a role will the infantry play? Obviously mobile AT and manpads will be present but will the infantry have any real impact what so ever?

Sorry raptor!

All I can say is that even I have underestimated the number of casualties caused/inflicted in a firefight.

Suppression, autocannon, explosives, RPG's, Punishers, it just chews up everyone. There aren't too many squads which don't have some sort of mechanized overwatch. Spotting means death.

Glorious death. For mine enemies. I hope.

Infantry are ridiculously lethal. One of my test scenarios is a night assault in the rain by an ad hoc Russian infantry company, against a small mixed Blue armor force bivouacking in a village. Even relatively lightly-armed modern infantry units can definitely tackle armor.

Basically infantrymen in CMBS are as versatile and useful as they've ever been, just better-armed, equipped, and protected. They're really fun to play with.

You don't need to wait for CMBS to find the answer for the other question. CMSF already made it clear enough: in the open (desert, steppe) unsupported infantry is toast unless they can lure AFVs into an ambush. But in close terrain, cities in particular, AFVs lose any range advantages and their movements become channeled. Drones don't peek through windows and ERA and APS does precious little against a big lump of C4 placed on the vehicle's deck.

At the same time, vehicles without artillery and/or air support have few advantages beside their speed. A proper combined arms force is superior to a lopsided one, unless the lopsided force consists of tactical nukes ;)

What I learned in CMSF is that if the infantry had Javelin then the vehicles were toast - otherwise the infantry were toast.

Nah, up close they can still do some damage. It's all about positioning the infantry in the right manner. Basically, if you are in the right position, you will kill the enemy vehicle. If you are not in the right position, your infantry will get steamrolled.

Basically, you want to hit IFVs/APCs from close range. Tanks you want to hit from the side at close range, so that's a bit more tricky to pull off.

Problem in Shock Force is that it's set in a Middle Eastern setting, meaning that a lot of the terrain is very open and that makes it harder, but not un-doable, to position the infantry in the correct places. It definitely limited the useful of infantry in some maps, though. However, in cities/villages it was still quite easy to engage enemy vehicles.

The main issue I found, however, is that the squads/sections could only really fire one good AT salvo. If you were lucky, some of them would still have some spare launchers/rockets left for a second, less powerful salvo. So this means the infantry squads/sections with short range AT can only kill 1 enemy vehicle, and if you are lucky two vehicles. And then you need to pull out your infantry if still more armor is coming in.

Basically, you want to hit IFVs/APCs from close range. Tanks you want to hit from the side at close range, so that's a bit more tricky to pull off.

You maybe want to do that with unguided rocket propelled grenades, but when you have something like a Javelin at your hands, it is better to be as far away as possible. At 2000 meters a Syrian T-72 will never spot a Javelin team first, so your guys are going to get the first shot, and even if the T-72 gets a chance to take a shot at the Javelin team while the missile is in the air, it is likely that the tank misses its first shot at that range and it wont get the chance to take a second one. Moreover, the Javelin is a fire and forget weapon, which means that when you are playing real time you can retreat you guys right after the shot so the T-72 doesnt even get a chance at retaliating. The Javelin is really great vs. anything - tanks, IFVs, bunkers, infantry... it is almost like some type of HE/HEAT-super-long-range-sniper rifle.

Moreover, the Javelin is a fire and forget weapon, which means that when you are playing real time you can retreat you guys right after the shot so the T-72 doesnt even get a chance at retaliating. The Javelin is really great vs. anything - tanks, IFVs, bunkers, infantry... it is almost like some type of HE/HEAT-super-long-range-sniper rifle.

I love watching those things fly. The time while the team is aiming is agonizing but once the rockets fire up it is a thing of beauty.

You maybe want to do that with unguided rocket propelled grenades, but when you have something like a Javelin at your hands, it is better to be as far away as possible. At 2000 meters a Syrian T-72 will never spot a Javelin team first, so your guys are going to get the first shot, and even if the T-72 gets a chance to take a shot at the Javelin team while the missile is in the air, it is likely that the tank misses its first shot at that range and it wont get the chance to take a second one. Moreover, the Javelin is a fire and forget weapon, which means that when you are playing real time you can retreat you guys right after the shot so the T-72 doesnt even get a chance at retaliating. The Javelin is really great vs. anything - tanks, IFVs, bunkers, infantry... it is almost like some type of HE/HEAT-super-long-range-sniper rifle.

Just made me think of an order I would LOVE to see added to CM, fire and bug out! Especially useful for missile launcher troops.

You can duplicate that now by giving a targeting order and a pause, then a movement order. Just be sure the pause is long enough to give them a chance to fire.

Michael

This workaround is no substitute for a real "shoot and scoot" order. You have no control over the timing, and you are forced to guess how long the unit will take to fire. If your guess is not extremely accurate, the unit is either going to move before firing, or stay in place for several seconds after the shot, with the increased risk of being killed.