Air Support NATO

GAZ NZ

Air Force has decided to retire A-10.

For what, the fourth or fifth time? Well, it looks like it might stick this time, which is a pity as I suspect that the F-35 is not going to pan out as a satisfactory replacement. The Air Force needs to learn that multi-role aircraft are dangerously unlikely to fulfill all roles really well. This is okay as long as they don't have to go up against an air force with lots of mission specific planes. But against the Russian air force...?

Michael

Unless for some reason the Navy finds itself supporting the Army. But I don't see it eager to commit carriers in the narrow seas abutting this theater of operations.

Michael

The Navy has a long history of operating Carrier Air Wings from land bases when and where tactically advisable. Further, what it aerial refueling and all, Navy carriers could easily operate from the Med in support of operations in the Ukraine.

This said, it's quite understandable why Hornets have been left out of the initial release. Gotta save something for the modules.

And ultimately, at the CM scale, all of the high altitude fast movers are just bombs from heaven...

For what, the fourth or fifth time? Well, it looks like it might stick this time, which is a pity as I suspect that the F-35 is not going to pan out as a satisfactory replacement. The Air Force needs to learn that multi-role aircraft are dangerously unlikely to fulfill all roles really well. This is okay as long as they don't have to go up against an air force with lots of mission specific planes. But against the Russian air force...?

Michael

The CAS mission is going to be done by a variety of assets.

The VVS's missions specific planes are still going to get OCAed regardless.

The A-10 and why USAF is wrong. Again. Yet. Still.

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/the-usafs-rationale-for-retiring-the-a-10-warthog-is-bu-1562789528

Navy F-35 has made its first trap. A-6 Intruder and EA-6B Prowler are back in service and operating from aboard USS George H.W. Bush in the Red Sea, but I have no idea how many more squadrons may be available for similar deployments. Marine F-35B STOVL squadron expected to meet IOC in 2015, beating out USAF and Navy to IOC.

Regards,

John Kettler

A-6 Intruder and EA-6B Prowler are back in service and operating from aboard USS George H.W. Bush in the Red Sea, but I have no idea how many more squadrons may be available for similar deployments.

Huh? Are you sure about that, John? I live just a few miles from Whidbey NAS (also known as Ault Field), which was one of the main operating bases for both types. Without looking it up, I think the A-6 left the service nigh on 20 years ago and the EA-6 maybe two or three.

Michael

The Navy has a long history of operating Carrier Air Wings from land bases when and where tactically advisable. Further, what it aerial refueling and all, Navy carriers could easily operate from the Med in support of operations in the Ukraine.

This said, it's quite understandable why Hornets have been left out of the initial release. Gotta save something for the modules.

And ultimately, at the CM scale, all of the high altitude fast movers are just bombs from heaven...

There could well be amphibious operations against the Crimea in this scenario. If NATO decided to march on Moscow and St Petersburg (this is a war-game so we could say this happens) we might see amphibious operations on the Northern flank.

Someody mentioned Asia on another thread. This scenario theoretically may result in the ?US sending Marines into Siberia as well.

There could well be amphibious operations against the Crimea in this scenario. If NATO decided to march on Moscow and St Petersburg (this is a war-game so we could say this happens) we might see amphibious operations on the Northern flank.

Someody mentioned Asia on another thread. This scenario theoretically may result in the ?US sending Marines into Siberia as well.

I don't think anyone is stupid enough to think invading a country the size and military competence of Russia with the intent of making a land attack on population/administration centres is going to be a practicable idea. "Not enough manpower" doesn't even begin to address the problems. And any General that thought it would be a good plan should be noisily and expeditiously retired and compassionately weaned off whatever narcotics rotted his brain in the first place. Limited incursions across the border to achieve operational objectives, sure, but taking and holding a land corridor from the coast to Moscow?

Interesting.

I thought the strike eagles were retired?

The Russians have been recently upgrading there siberian and other remote bases recently.

While there may be a strike on these in a war they would be limited and no ground assault in these areas.

Future wars are all going to based over water or other resources. So any scenario is possible.

Full invasion of russia though might be pushing it lol.

Interesting.

I thought the strike eagles were retired?

Not even close. 219 were still in USAF service in 2012, to say nothing of the other nations still using it. Not to mention, at least one has been used in the recent airstrikes against ISIS.

http://www.janes.com/article/42852/us-heavy-bombers-carry-out-more-strikes-in-iraq