ChrisND Stream Footage

Has anyone posted the link for 2 of 2 yet? Here it is. I had to laugh, I've never heard the stress level in Chris's voice spike quite so high before.  :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0Am7IERlhk

Learn to embed your videos, maaaaan!!! (copy-paste the URL under Share in YouTube, it will then automatically translate into an in-forum video)

like so:

:)

Edited by Sergei

Chris

Thanks so much for doing these videos - they have given such a great view of CM:BS. Hope this will be a tradition for all upcoming BFC CM titles.

Sundays I am at church/with family and so forth, so I cant watch your streams live, but watch them later on Twitch and/or Youtube. You asked at the end of the last stream if anyone wanted to see something from the editor, and no one asked so you ended the stream.

If you have the time, can I make a request ahead of time?

I am interested in seeing more of the options for the major US formations and their layout in general.

We know you have an option for the grenadier and sniper in the rifle squads, but what other options are there? Specifically, with the scout platoon, what is its normal formation size? Do you have an option of Humvee's or Bradleys? Or is the number of these fixed (ie. the scout platoon always has two Humvee's and one Bradley)? In your stream it was two Hunvee's and the one Bradley - is that how big the platoon normally is, or was that cut down from normal size?

I noticed in one of your streams that (IIRC) the Infantry Battalion has two Javelin teams attached to each rifle platoon. Is that only the Infantry Bn's? Or the Stryker and Bradley ones too? Are there MG teams in the rifle platoons or are those assets attached elsewhere?

Really, just a quick rundown of whats in each of the three Bn's, and the difference between normal and combined arms, would be great. Even just expanding the trees so we can see in the video would be fine.

Obviously all of this is if you have the time to do so. No worries if you don't have the time - well have the game soon enough!

Thanks again for all the hard work

Chad

Chris

Thanks so much for doing these videos - they have given such a great view of CM:BS. Hope this will be a tradition for all upcoming BFC CM titles.

Sundays I am at church/with family and so forth, so I cant watch your streams live, but watch them later on Twitch and/or Youtube. You asked at the end of the last stream if anyone wanted to see something from the editor, and no one asked so you ended the stream.

If you have the time, can I make a request ahead of time?

I am interested in seeing more of the options for the major US formations and their layout in general.

We know you have an option for the grenadier and sniper in the rifle squads, but what other options are there? Specifically, with the scout platoon, what is its normal formation size? Do you have an option of Humvee's or Bradleys? Or is the number of these fixed (ie. the scout platoon always has two Humvee's and one Bradley)? In your stream it was two Hunvee's and the one Bradley - is that how big the platoon normally is, or was that cut down from normal size?

I noticed in one of your streams that (IIRC) the Infantry Battalion has two Javelin teams attached to each rifle platoon. Is that only the Infantry Bn's? Or the Stryker and Bradley ones too? Are there MG teams in the rifle platoons or are those assets attached elsewhere?

Really, just a quick rundown of whats in each of the three Bn's, and the difference between normal and combined arms, would be great. Even just expanding the trees so we can see in the video would be fine.

Obviously all of this is if you have the time to do so. No worries if you don't have the time - well have the game soon enough!

Thanks again for all the hard work

Chad

US rifle squad options:

1. B Team Grenadier: M4A1 Carbine w/ M320A1 grenade launcher or M25 CDTE grenade launcher.

2. Squad marksman: M4A1 Carbine w/ ACOG or M110 CSASS.

Those are the two options.

Javelin distribution works as such:

Light infantry rifle platoons have two Javelin teams, two men each. To accommodate this setup two men have been cut from the M240 teams to man the second Javelin.

For Stryker and Bradley infantry platoons, every vehicle that carries a rifle squad also carries a Javelin with three missiles. Most recon and some engineer vehicles also carry a Javelin with missiles. This differs from Shock Force, where just about every vehicle carried a Javelin launcher and missiles. In effect you'll see a roughly 30% decrease in availability of Javelins, since you won't be able to equip all of your HQs with Javelins because their transport vehicles don't carry any.

The Javelin assignments in Black Sea are based entirely in the latest official US Army TO&E, and will prove to be less generous than Shock Force, although still enough to give AT teeth to any US infantry formation.

As an aside, just about every special dismounted weapon has extra reload ammo carried in it's transport vehicle. Russian/Ukrainian ATGMs, SPG-9s, automatic grenade launchers, RPGs, TOW missiles, mortars, you name it... the vehicle carrying that team also carries extra ammo for the weapon. For example any Russian or Ukrainian AT-4/AT-7/AT-13/AT-14/Corsar/Skif ATGM team has an extra eight missiles stowed in their transport vehicle, in addition to what the team carries for a battle load. And you can always set the vehicle to Dismounted in the editor, turning it into an ammo dump that you can place near the team.

Scout platoon:

For Combined Arms battalions, the scout platoon is a mix of recon humvees and M3 Bradleys. For Armored Cavalry squadrons, the scout platoons are purely M3 Bradleys. Information we have gotten is that the Army is moving to pure M3 Bradleys for scout platoons, but that by 2017 there won't be enough Bradleys to cover all platoons, so the compromise is that the cavalry units get pure Bradleys while infantry units use a mix.

Mixed armored scout platoon:

HQ + XO teams in two recon humvees

x3 Scout Sections w/ x2 scout teams riding in one recon humvee and one M3 Bradley

Cavalry scout platoon:

HQ + XO teams in two M3 Bradleys

x2 Scout Sections w/ x2 scout teams riding in two M3 Bradleys

Chris, I wanted to say thank you again on the forums since I am a new member although a long time CM fan.

Your weekly stream is excellent and I look forward to them each week. I also appreciate when you upload your streams to YouTube as Twitch can be an issue for me sometimes.

Thank you again and I am looking forward to the first mission of the Russian campaign tomorrow!

-Chris

US rifle squad options:

1. B Team Grenadier: M4A1 Carbine w/ M320A1 grenade launcher or M25 CDTE grenade launcher.

2. Squad marksman: M4A1 Carbine w/ ACOG or M110 CSASS.

Those are the two options.

Javelin distribution works as such:

Light infantry rifle platoons have two Javelin teams, two men each. To accommodate this setup two men have been cut from the M240 teams to man the second Javelin.

For Stryker and Bradley infantry platoons, every vehicle that carries a rifle squad also carries a Javelin with three missiles. Most recon and some engineer vehicles also carry a Javelin with missiles. This differs from Shock Force, where just about every vehicle carried a Javelin launcher and missiles. In effect you'll see a roughly 30% decrease in availability of Javelins, since you won't be able to equip all of your HQs with Javelins because their transport vehicles don't carry any.

The Javelin assignments in Black Sea are based entirely in the latest official US Army TO&E, and will prove to be less generous than Shock Force, although still enough to give AT teeth to any US infantry formation.

As an aside, just about every special dismounted weapon has extra reload ammo carried in it's transport vehicle. Russian/Ukrainian ATGMs, SPG-9s, automatic grenade launchers, RPGs, TOW missiles, mortars, you name it... the vehicle carrying that team also carries extra ammo for the weapon. For example any Russian or Ukrainian AT-4/AT-7/AT-13/AT-14/Corsar/Skif ATGM team has an extra eight missiles stowed in their transport vehicle, in addition to what the team carries for a battle load. And you can always set the vehicle to Dismounted in the editor, turning it into an ammo dump that you can place near the team.

Scout platoon:

For Combined Arms battalions, the scout platoon is a mix of recon humvees and M3 Bradleys. For Armored Cavalry squadrons, the scout platoons are purely M3 Bradleys. Information we have gotten is that the Army is moving to pure M3 Bradleys for scout platoons, but that by 2017 there won't be enough Bradleys to cover all platoons, so the compromise is that the cavalry units get pure Bradleys while infantry units use a mix.

Mixed armored scout platoon:

HQ + XO teams in two recon humvees

x3 Scout Sections w/ x2 scout teams riding in one recon humvee and one M3 Bradley

Cavalry scout platoon:

HQ + XO teams in two M3 Bradleys

x2 Scout Sections w/ x2 scout teams riding in two M3 Bradleys

Chris

Thanks for the response, didn't even have to wait for the stream! Glad to hear we will see a more realistic spread of Javelins this time around. I love them, don't get me wrong, but will be nice to have a correct number of them.

Speaking of Javelins, I noticed in your videos that the Soviet vehicles were being las'd by Javelins and not popping smoke or evading like the US vehicles were. The Javelin uses a laser right? Or do the Soviet vehicles not have the same warnings as the US vehicles do? I honestly have no idea on both.

Just to be clear, in your US campaign video, the starting forces were a single *section* of the platoon (one Humvee, one Bradley, one scout team in each) along with the Platoon HQ in a Humvee. I re-checked the video and that seemed to be the case.

Thanks again for the response! Look forward to seeing tomorrows video.

Chad

Speaking of Javelins, I noticed in your videos that the Soviet vehicles were being las'd by Javelins and not popping smoke or evading like the US vehicles were. The Javelin uses a laser right? Or do the Soviet vehicles not have the same warnings as the US vehicles do? I honestly have no idea on both.

Javelin is totally passive infra red, plus maybe a bit of inertial guidance to get it started.  It literally takes a picture of the target and tries to keep it in the cross hairs.  Thats why it is so utterly nasty, there is no electronic/laser signal of any kind its on the way. It is not even flying directly at the target for most of its flight.  The fact that they haven't done a longer range version for vehicle use is sort of incomprehensible to me.  

Commenting on this post from far back:

...resource usage is almost certainly not the reason for a lack of eye candy

There's more 'eye candy' in the game than can be discerned playing 20 feet up and 20 feet back. The bolts on the vehicle wheels have bump map artwork applied so the edges catch the light 3-D-style as the vehicle turns. The trees and bushes have individual leaves. There are pebbles in the road and pot holes at the intersections. Look at the independent buildings, each window has a different reflection than the next. Something you can't spot when playing from 'eye of God' camera level. I've often joked that people raise their camera up until they lose all the game detail - then that's where they keep it, and then complain about the lack of detail!  ;)

Edited by MikeyD

I only today managed to catch up on all of last week's videos. Great fun. And I admire Chris' ability to refrain from swearing like a pirate as his tanks unexpectedly blow up in from of him!  :D  Tonight's show is definitely on my 'to do' list at some point during the week.