ChrisND Stream Footage

Hi,

That was tremendous.. !

Being such an unhinged WWII fan I was a little sceptical of this one, but that is all gone now. The variety possible will be huge. With systems going on and off, ECM firing up to different levels and more. More variety than in a WWII setting :).

Also.. very curious to see how things might work in a fully contemporary setting.

Mikey,

That was fun! Though I was screaming at the monitor "Your Bradley's got new NATO camou textures! ZOOM IN ZOOM IN!"

That made me laugh.. ;)... Yes the graphics do look fantastic.. :).

Great looking forward to this..

All the best,

Kip.

PS.Raptorx7.. thanks for posting it...

Hi,

Question for those involved in testing/development..

I had anticipated that the battlefield would rapidly fill with “warm smoke...” or smoke of some kind that also blocks thermal imaging.

So my question is will all smoke be assumed to be of the kind that blocks thermal imaging and do the players use it a lot in games? Do supporting artillery and rockets do “shoot and scoot..” barrages of smoke all over the place before running/moving to avoid counter battery?

All the best,

Kip.

PS. One of my pet theories.. no idea if it would be workout that way ;), is that artillery support may in some ways have hit its is maximum in WWII. Why.. because in any contemporary, high intensity war between rivals even close to being in the same ball park in tech terms there would be so much counter battery fire artillery would spend most of its time “fighting each other over the heads of frontline infantry, armour units.. ..” and moving and such..

Thanks for the youtube link - the game is looking like it'll be a lot of fun to play (especially if you define fun as watching all your shiny toys being blown up in new, interesting and unexpected ways!)

I really loved the river crossing map Chris used to demonstrate the amphibious craft - the attention to detail and clever use of the railway bridges really brought it to life - well done to the map designer!

Hi,

Question for those involved in testing/development..

I had anticipated that the battlefield would rapidly fill with “warm smoke...” or smoke of some kind that also blocks thermal imaging.

So my question is will all smoke be assumed to be of the kind that blocks thermal imaging and do the players use it a lot in games? Do supporting artillery and rockets do “shoot and scoot..” barrages of smoke all over the place before running/moving to avoid counter battery?

All the best,

Kip.

PS. One of my pet theories.. no idea if it would be workout that way ;), is that artillery support may in some ways have hit its is maximum in WWII. Why.. because in any contemporary, high intensity war between rivals even close to being in the same ball park in tech terms there would be so much counter battery fire artillery would spend most of its time “fighting each other over the heads of frontline infantry, armour units.. ..” and moving and such..

I would assume most modern MBT's are carrying that kind of thermal imaging blocking smoke, as for the artillery very good question!

Most of the big combat vehicles are using IR-blocking smoke in the game... but I don't think all of them. They are typically smart enough that you don't need to tell them to use it. If they have laser warning receivers and they detect any enemy lasing them (which means that they are most likely about to be engaged), they'll deploy the smoke themselves unless they are immediately occupied with something else, like engaging an enemy vehicle or moving quickly to somewhere else.

No counter-battery fire in the game. So far it's been left out as a little out of our scope, since it involves mechanics that are completely off of the map and involving only off-map entities, although the entry of on-map mortars does start to challenge that reasoning a bit.

By the way, I checked out that little bug where I couldn't call fire support on the area that the UAV was observing... turns out that the demo map I made was the ONLY scenario with that bug. All other maps/scenarios had it working properly. Go figure it has to affect the demo map, right?

Counter Battery decisions are based at brigade level or higher.

Shock Force puts you in the role principally of a company commander and for larger scenarios, a battlegroup /taskforce commander.

Therefore, Counter Battery decisions are beyond the scope of the role the player is put in. It would be a nice feature to have but I am not bummed out about not having it. I will just assume that the artillery that red has in a scenario is the stuff not being subject to counter battery fire and count my blessings that that the amount of artillery raining down on me could have been far worse.

Hi,

Modern counter battery isn't easy - talking strictly fire finder radar, it has to be turned on and looking in the right place to see the rounds. When the radar emits, it can be detected, no different then when a SAM site is painting an aircraft with their radar and the aircraft knows it. That makes the radar vulnerable to its own counter fire, if the opposition has the right radar finding equipment, and limits its time on to short pulses. That very well means that artillery could be firing, and the opposition's radar simply isn't on. In addition, counter fire radars are expensive and complex - meaning a modern US artillery battalion might have a total of 2 radars that have to support an entire brigade combat team. If they are taken out, there's no easy way to get them replaced. Plus, less modern radars can only track a very limited amount of rounds, or need several rounds to get an accurate fix. These are all limitations artillery battalions take advantage of to keep the counter fire threat to a minimum. Now, I'm not saying that counterfire is a negligible risk, and certainly will be more prevalent then in WW2, but it's really not the end of artillery support as we know. It just requires a different set of tactics to cope with it.

Now, UAVs... I do think we will see those utilized in similar roles as aerial observers were in WW2, and could be a significant threat to artillery units if not dealt with accordingly.

SeinfeldRules,

Thanks for that..

Interesting to know. That is one of the things about CM.. it attracts people like yourself who actually “know..” :).

I had acquired the idea that it would be far easier..

But this is why am so keen on Blacksea.. since the end of the Soviet Union have not bothered with following how contemporary, high intensity war may work. The Soviet Union was gone and the rest too poor. But not anymore on any count.

But now history is back, globally in fact, and only going to return even more... if I can put it that way, time to take a very close look again at this type of warfare.

All the best,

Kip.

One point is still disappointing me, the same "old" effects :(

I know near every one here will tell me to go mod my game, but i'm still sad to see such a great game needing community work to be perfect...

Thats one of the great things about the game if you ask me. And there are already a ton of great effects ready to go as soon as BS is released (thanks to Aris, Vein and others).

Thanks for video :eek:

I know near every one here will tell me to go mod my game, but i'm still sad to see such a great game needing community work to be perfect...

I am currently making a 2x8 km map for CMBN. One of my pbem opponents casually remarked that he was getting into modding the game. As one who as only used pinetree's base mod and ramblers trees and bocage mod I experimented with some of the more popular terrain mods.

The map I am making went from resembling the area I am modelling to looking nothing like it... so I uninstalled those mods (and the sound mod too). I kept the vehicle mods though, and yesterday while looking at units to include in the "CMx1 style operation" scenario I am making for the map I realized I didn't like the weathered look on the vehicles either. So I'm probably going to remove that mod too. I am still using an effects mod, but not because I thought the stock effects were horrible, the truth is they didn't bother me and I don't really notice how things go boom!

The point I'm getting at is, I know first hand there are those who like what BF has done over what the clearly talented community has put forth. It all boils down to personal taste.

Thanks for video :eek:

They really want to keep the computer specs reasonable. Most modders have no such compunctions.

Thats one of the great things about the game if you ask me. And there are already a ton of great effects ready to go as soon as BS is released (thanks to Aris, Vein and others).

True, but they only go so far, and some of the modded effects (especially the explosion ones) look cheesy as they suddenly appear and disappear again, kinda like a cartoon.

I'm sure better special effects are on the list for CMx3. :)