High calibre sniper rifles

GAZ NZ

There are five different types of US sniper rifle in the game (I think) up to an including the big Barrett .50 cal M107A1. Russia and Ukraine have one marksman type, the ubiquitous Russian SVD. That's the current state-of-play. things can change rapidly at this stage of the game.

I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of a well trained marksman/sniper with an SVD.

I'm no expert, but the Russian small arms stuff, while not as sexy and high speed as the Western stuff is very effective and functional IMO.

I own and shoot a Daniels Defense M4V7 and used the M&P 15 and Colt AR15. I also have a AK47 and Saiga 7.62x39.

If I had to pick just one I would go with the AK47. Not saying it better and compared to the AR it has some shortcomings -not as many accessories and the magazine release is not as smooth, but the other strengths make it a fine weapon system to this day.

Until we get the game we won't know, but I would venture to guess that unless you have a situation where you're taking a 1000+ yard shot the SVD will be just as effective as the sexy Western stuff in game terms.

I haven't really kept track, but I'm guessing most infantry engagements will take place under 800 yards, but I could be off as I don't play Shock Force nearly as much as I do the WW2 stuff.

I was going on the list provided of equipment to be in game. I thought russian eqiupment was limited.

I shot F Class in New Zealand shooting out 1000 yards

in our nationals placing 3rd a few years back.

That was .308.

.338 is very dominating but expensive to use unless you are reloading.

The US sniper rifles would dominate range and acvuracy wise.

Im unsure if Russian rifles would use match loads or better loaded rounds (unlikely). So there accuracy would likely suffer out past 400 yards.

But In a long protracted war logistics and supply would be important. Russia has guns all firing similar rounds so makes supply easier.

Long range sniper domination may also be restricted to open areas with more dense fighting areas ( cities and urban areas ) making the superior range obsolute. So SVDs could be designed with this in mind - being used in russia.

I recommend watching on u tube NutnFancys Ar15 vs ak47 vids and comparison vid.

Both have there pros and cons.

I shoot an AR 15 myself as well.

And have owned an Ak and SKS.

General comments ive heard from overseas vets is

.308 recommended for fighting due to range and general capability. This was coming from fighting in Middle east.

Russia is a whole new terrain and ive only read european ww2 sniper memoirs and modern mid east stuff.

Not sure how it would all pan out.

I got an SKS-Yugo. Great gun. Can't beat the price, ammo is cheap and its not picky about what you feed it.

To me the ultimate assault rifle would be a gun that takes the best features of an AK47 with modern modular furniture and used the 300 AAC Blackout round.

I did look at the SIG AR15 and was intrigued by its gas piston system, but decided on the Daniel Defense. You know what they say-once you buy one AR15, you'll eventually end up with 2 or 3 more so the SIG may be in my future. There is a master armorer who was in the military and Secret Service who teaches you how to build an AR15 near me so I may get some instruction from him. I can field strip all my guns, but in the end you don't know what you don't know and the AR is a platform where it pays to learn it well.

AK's and other Russian stuff you can abuse and it will still function.

I got an SKS-Yugo. Great gun. Can't beat the price, ammo is cheap and its not picky about what you feed it.

To me the ultimate assault rifle would be a gun that takes the best features of an AK47 with modern modular furniture and used the 300 AAC Blackout round.

I did look at the SIG AR15 and was intrigued by its gas piston system, but decided on the Daniel Defense. You know what they say-once you buy one AR15, you'll eventually end up with 2 or 3 more so the SIG may be in my future. There is a master armorer who was in the military and Secret Service who teaches you how to build an AR15 near me so I may get some instruction from him. I can field strip all my guns, but in the end you don't know what you don't know and the AR is a platform where it pays to learn it well.

AK's and other Russian stuff you can abuse and it will still function.

i have a mosin

Im unsure if Russian rifles would use match loads or better loaded rounds (unlikely). So there accuracy would likely suffer out past 400 yards.

Russia does produce match-grade 7.62x54r, so it is certainly plausible it would be/is issued to SVD-equipped units. Ukrainians - maybe, more likely not.

Piston AR pretty much fills that role. Very nicely.

I've seen varying feedback on the SIG AR. Some love it, while others have commented the quality has gone down recently. I would have no issue buying a SIG AR.

I kinda think its a crap shoot-you sometimes get a lemon and you can't always believe what you see or hear. I have guns that others hate and have bad experiences with, but personally I've had no issues.

I like the .223/5.56, but I like the 7.62x32 more and the 300 AAC even more.

The SOCOM .308 is another fine rifle.

Getting back into topic lol

Me bad

My comment re different calibres also relates to the penetration of small arms rounds through terrain and buildings.

So at closer ranges AK rounds would dominate going thru walls and stuff. US 5.56 rounds penetrate less have less kinetic damage but they can carry more rounds.

Any one know how the damage model for buildings works or will work?

So at closer ranges AK rounds would dominate going thru walls and stuff. US 5.56 rounds penetrate less have less kinetic damage but they can carry more rounds.

Nowadays, "AK rounds" in Russian use means 5.45x39, which has similar weight and size, as well as raw kinetic energy, to the NATO 5.56x45 rounds. Penetration (against walls or body armor) and terminal effects would depend on the exacts rounds used though (there are specific armor-piercing rounds for both calibers, but I don't know how widespread they are).

Ive seen news footage with Ukraine soldiers holding .50 cal given by US

It's not just US guns the rebels are also using a lot of PTRD's .

http://www.forgottenweapons.com/ptrd-in-ukraine/

Would be easy to introduce into the game just lift them from CMRT.

If you believe the rebels (footage) they have been having quite good success with them on the Uke BMPs.

Special weapons are special.

But they're really not that special any more.

Russia has been beefing up their troops alot lately and one place they've focused on in particular is the snipers.

They even imported a couple of sniper rifles (Steyrs IIRC) to fill up the ranks.

Sure, the vintores and the like are special.

But there are plenty of "plain old" sniper rifles in service other than the SVD.