A digital only version

BlackAlpha

The mail version requires 27 dollars for the shipping fees, which brings the total cost to 82 dollars. That's quite a lot. So will there be a digital only version or do we need to wait until release?

Also, how much will the digital only version cost?

Theres never a pre-order digital only. Have to wait for release for that.

The reason why there's no download only pre-order option is that they need to print enough discs and manuals and boxes and arrange their shipping. Digital version is easier on logistics, for some reason. I think they still could have a download only pre-order option if only to secure early sales, but what do I know about marketing games!

Pre-orders help the developers plan and provide a more secure income stream than waiting for release forecasts to come to fruition. For that reason alone I don't mind paying ahead for a product I have high quality confidence in prior to release.

More pre-orders also mean less incentive to release earlier than developers are comfortable with, though I imagine BF doesn't have quite the same pressures as bigger publishers.

I gave up on the physical copies when I realised they were shipping from the US and not from Europe (where I thought they were based). I have been caught twice having to pay additional import taxes on their computer games, so I will always get the digital-only version.

Pre-orders seem to be a relic of the past, back when the only way to get goods into people's hands was by shipping it. I don't think there were any pre-orders on the recent CMBN vehicle-pack, were there? It just appeared and people started downloading. But as long as they're printing manuals and burning disks they're going to need a method to gauge the public's level of interest ahead of time.