Fury Movie Discussion.

They held onto him for a little while until he told two joes to take the POW back in the lines to a rear company and report back. After sometime the two joes come back and they are caught off guard when he asks if they linked up with the company. They just said that (paraphrasing here) "the sonofabitch tried running, you know Cap'n". He just nodded to the men and went on with his day.He knew they were frustrated and just shot the POW, but he just let it slide.

Sounds a completely plausible story. Years ago I was reading a British account of D-Day that had been written late-'40s/early-'50s and a British soldier quite openly admitting (to the point of being proud of it) that he'd not taken some Germans as prisoners (he threw a grenade at them) because "it was not what he was there for" (although, it has to be said, it was a heat-of-the-moment incident).

But the thing is, I still don't think that scene in Fury was credible. Just the whole way it was done and the reasons for doing it.

Sorry, we've stopped talking about Fury now, havent we...?

Are we to assume that's supposed to be a cutting retort? 16 films won Oscars last night, out of the thousands made last year. Not getting an Oscar is the expected result. But go you ... that could have been quite witty. Yay?

Boy, you guys. Be careful what you wish for - at this rate producers and directors are going to quite rationally conclude "A war movie? **** that. Those mongs wouldn't recognise a story if it bit them in the arse, and keep confusing movies with documentaries. I'm just gonna make Terminator Dies Hard In 60 Seconds Of Speed #14."

Are we to assume that's supposed to be a cutting retort?

No.

Not really. Don't know about you but I don't take the Oscars very seriously.

I could go into a very long list of why I don't take the very seriously including all the times the academy has got it wildly wrong but I fear I may be straying way off topic, It also involes a lot of Angela Lansbury related complaints (three nominations and no Oscar!) but I reckon this is hardly the place... :)

• 1 year later...

Since I'm not quite sure where to post this, I'll do it here. I strongly recommend "1939 Battle of Westerplatte" It's (a controversial in Poland) 2013 Polish film (with English subtitles) available on Daily Motion, certainly elsewhere, too. The film is controversial because it doesn't depict the defenders as all being stalwart kick butt heroes but human, especially since it includes, after a fashion, a secret which emerged after the war regarding who was handling the defense and from when.

That little footnote in the history books about the bombardment of Westerplatte by the old German battleship Schlesswig-Holstein was, in fact, something of an epic defense (and in the national psyche, on par with the Alamo) which wound up costing the Germans an unknown number of WIA and KIA. The film is quite the study of men in battle--from just before war breaks out to the oh so bitter end. From what I can tell, the film is a kind of historical pastiche of various aspects of the German attacks (variety of troops and an interesting support item) and how the Poles on their tiny peninsula held them off practically forever, given the Germans expected to win in ten minutes! Great and historically present Polish toys, but there are some real oddities (and worse) on the weaponry front and their use which will be clear to those who see the film. Anatolis's Game Room, a blog, savaged it, but I found it engrossing, not least because of the subject matter, where it was made and by whom. The characters were well-defined, as were the parameters of the military situation, which varied dramatically depending on the soldier depicted. Thought it was well worth two hours of my time. Have not seen the 1967 film depicting the same battle.

Here's the trailer from YT.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

• 1 year later...

I'm watching this now for the first time and I'm already put off by one of the scenes. They've just finished killing off the AT guns by the tree line and then want to execute the German soldier...oh wait...I meant Nazi...cause every German is an evil Nazi in these films. So not only do we have this ridiculousness, but I'm supposed to identify with American soldiers who want to illegally kill this unarmed prisoner. WTF? 

It's sick how the men who run the Hollywood studios try to get the public to believe these lies against the German people. Do you think that if this movie took place in the Pacific, they'd have our heroes executing a Japanese POW?  Doubtful.

You've not seen 'Pacific' then I take it?  ;)

My sympathy for the German people in the years 1914-1945 is pretty bloody limited TBH.  :mellow:

On ‎25‎/‎02‎/‎2015 at 1:21 AM, John1966 said:

Is that a proper MG42 at 4.53? You'd have thought it'd do better than that...

Nope that's an MG-34.  :P

On ‎22‎/‎02‎/‎2015 at 8:59 AM, Noltyboy said:

I was at Bovington Tank museum yesterday and got to see the Sherman and tiger 131 that where in the film. It amazing how big a Tiger actually is.

Bovvy is my home from home.....God I love that place, the smell!  B)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

2 hours ago, Col Deadmarsh said:

I'm watching this now for the first time and I'm already put off by one of the scenes. They've just finished killing off the AT guns by the tree line and then want to execute the German soldier...oh wait...I meant Nazi...cause every German is an evil Nazi in these films. So not only do we have this ridiculousness, but I'm supposed to identify with American soldiers who want to illegally kill this unarmed prisoner. WTF? 

It's sick how the men who run the Hollywood studios try to get the public to believe these lies against the German people. Do you think that if this movie took place in the Pacific, they'd have our heroes executing a Japanese POW?  Doubtful.

I didn't see it like that - I didn't find the killing of prisoners heroic, but horrible. However, things of that sort did happen.

I took it that Brad Pitt's character was meant to be a screwed-up anti-hero with a lot of disgusting qualities. That disturbing scene with the German women reinforced that.

17 hours ago, Col Deadmarsh said:

Like Freyberg, I'd say that/those scene(s) were about depicting how war had dehumanised the GIs rather than an attempt to  demonise their enemy.  I did think the film was militarily highly suspect though.

Without wanting to go into any controversial stuff, then I thought Fury was a poor movie.. The Brad Pitt character is a  bit of a cliche, the whole story of "soldier has seen it all, is tough but has a very soft side" has been done to death much better before. As for the fighting sequences, then I was not overly impressed either.. the Tiger dance is a bit dumb and the attack on the AT guns should have been absolute suicide even if the guns was poorly sited.  Overall a decent movie, with some nice scenes, but lacking in depth and some of the fighting is very Hollywoodesque

8 hours ago, kch001 said:

the Tiger dance is a bit dumb

That bit made laugh so hard.....I used to play on a particular Red Orchestra server with a lot of really good players, one of the ultimate acts to earn Kudos there was to take out a Tiger with a T-60 on the huge open Orel Heights map, this required an action that became known as the 'Tiger Dance'. 

Basically this involved using your tiny size and manoeuvrability to stay at point blank range (<10m) in the Tiger's 4-7 o'clock while hammering the rear hull plate with your 20mm cannon.  Eventually you will get a critical which will set the engine on fire, after that you just wait for the crew to bail, remaining prepared to back away in case they have satchel-charges or a Panzerfaust.

Then there was 'Clown Car Stacking', that was loads of fun too.....  (I miss that game a lot.....Can you tell).  :D

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

I bought Fury just to support folks at least making WW2 films, flawed though it was in some areas,  I have re-watched it a couple times.   As mentioned above, the AT guns at that range would never miss, but I just decided to play along and assume these were bottom of the barrel troops, either old or young or some such.  Fury is still better than many of the 1950s/60s/70s ww2 blockbusters.

Bought Dunkirk because I want more of the same and was voting w my dollars, like w Fury.  Hopefully the fact that Dunkirk made good money and is Oscar bait will get some other films made.