New file at the Repository: Into the Green (2014-10-09)

This mission is a two and a half hour Blue Force Company Group sized probe into the green zone in the Upper Sangin Valley, Helmand Province, Afghanistan in June 2008. The overall task is to patrol out of FOB Alma and conduct intelligence led compound searches of three Taliban compounds. The scenario is Blue versus the Red AI only and is not recommended for H2H play.While the mission and map is entirely fictional it is based on actual forces and the type of terrain encountered at this time. This passage from the book Company Commander written by Major Russell Lewis MC was one of the main inspirations for this mission. Another excellent book that provided inspiration is Honourable Warriors by Major Richard Streatfeild MBE. Both officers commanded companies operating out of FOB Inkerman in the Upper Sangin Valley. ‘Once on his feet the lead soldier jumps up and down to try and get his load seated and as comfortable as possible. You can’t ever get it comfortable, there are just degrees of discomfort. He shrugs his shoulders and clicks his head side to side, working out a few kinks but ultimately going through his own pre-match ritual and getting his game face on. He is the point man. The very first man in this whole snake that will weave its way out into the green zone and actively hunt out the enemy. I can’t see his face but I know him. A young nineteen year old private. He has probably been out of basic training less than a year, yet already he is in the middle ...

More...

My initial thought on seeing the set-up (so no spoilers here) was that it seems that one should leave the greener ANA forces as defenders and use only the Brits for the offensive operation.

That seems a shame as it's interesting to use both forces as best one can. I think that what made a "Helluva Road Opening" so interesting was that the ANA were (supposed to be) the primary force while the US and Germans were in "support" which of course was needed. But, the point is that the ANA were used actively. In "Green" they seem destined to be left behind to defend the bases. Or, am I missing something?

Erwin - yes you are - the ANA grouping in FOB Alma is supposed to go out - look at the TASKORG and the orders and compare it with the set up. The ANA 1 Platoon in FOB Alma is on the right along with the OMLT & the OMLT MFC - basically those elements should go out of the right hand gate of FOB Alma along with the CO's Tac HQ, a sniper pair and the JTAC. The larger grouping in CP Jundi should stay where it is.

In simple terms - if it is a dismounted element not in or on the roof of a building in FOB Alma, it is designed to go out of the door. The only mounted elements that should go out of the door (dependant on your CSS plan) are the two WMIKS pointing at the rear gate with the Javelin Teams on them.

At that stage of the game in Helmand, the ANA were still very much in the game of being mentored so the ISAF element is always going to be the larger of the elements going out of the door and so is realistic.

That ANA platoon, if handled well, is a useful asset.

Ah, ok. Thanks for the clarification. I only scanned the briefing. (The formation jargon went right over my head.)

I quite like the concept that we should follow orders rather than do what seems to make most sense. It puts the player in a RL exasperated CO position dealing with the politics of having to make it look like the ANA can do the job, when we know otherwise.

As Combatintman indicated above and in the scenario brief, the ANA platoon with their mentor forces are meant to go out.

I took the ANA forces out and actually used them to engage enemy forces on route and they actually seized one of the objective compounds.

I would estimate the ANA/Mentor platoon accounted for between a quarter and a third of the enemy force losses in my game, so go ahead and use them to do yeoman duty for the operation.

• 5 weeks later...