Released: Umlaut´s Factory Mod Set and Bitvagorod map

• 2 weeks later...

Me - I just issue some commands then sit back and watch the map..... then I wipe the drool of my chin. Sometimes my wife gets tired of waiting and she wipes the drool off for me, that is true love.

Factory_zps5c3e8165.jpg

PzF hits, wipes out the SU-76 and crew, slightly injures one of my guys. Half the team panics and runs back the way they came. Still, they got the kill.

Did you know the Germans only have 5 PF? I guess that was intentional. When I got the sound icon on that vehicle I had to go hunting to find a nearby team equipped with one.

I am playing with the map trying to do one less industrial and more just urban and learning a few tricks from yours.

I am playing with the map trying to do one less industrial and more just urban and learning a few tricks from yours.

Wonderful. I am actually planning to make "A Scenario Designer´s Guide to Umlaut´s Mod Set" - but I haven´t gotten around to it yet.

im getting black trees. help!

It sounds like you´ve been moving some of the files from the mod set. But I really can´t help you, until you´re more specific:

Are all of the trees black - or just some of them? If just some of them, which?

Is every part of the tree black? Or is it just the trunk or just the leaves?

Or are the black trees the ones without the leaves (flavor objects)?

A screenshot would help too.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update as I am on the road and unable to mess with this for a bit. One issue I am running into with the mods is they fundamentally change the view of something while still maintaining their characteristics. Specifically the bridges. They appear to be metal structures with railings beneath and yet the pixeltruppen won't hop the railings.

I absolutely love the mod, it is an incredible bit of work. Unfortunately it also shows the limit of a mod. I am still using portions of it and I think there is still room to use the rest as long as the map is designed in such a way to disguise the limitations. I'll be happy when CM starts including items to create the same terrain more naturally.

Once I am back I'll get back to messing with my map and post some stuff for you Umlaut.

It sounds like you´ve been moving some of the files from the mod set. But I really can´t help you, until you´re more specific:

Are all of the trees black - or just some of them? If just some of them, which?

Is every part of the tree black? Or is it just the trunk or just the leaves?

Or are the black trees the ones without the leaves (flavor objects)?

A screenshot would help too.

hello, im getting most of the black trees, this is happening wen I reduce the map in the editor

and use half the map, PM me your email ill send you the map

hello, im getting most of the black trees, this is happening wen I reduce the map in the editor

and use half the map, PM me your email ill send you the map

Hi Jorge

I´ve now looked at the map and the screenshot you sent me.

There is nothing wrong with the trees - nor anything else in the map - when I load it. But it is obvious from looking at the screenshot you sent me that you don´t have the mod set in the game at all.

None of the buildings, railcars etc in the screenshot are modded. So of course some of the trees are black - they are modded too and only work as intended when the mods are in place.

One issue I am running into with the mods is they fundamentally change the view of something while still maintaining their characteristics. Specifically the bridges. They appear to be metal structures with railings beneath and yet the pixeltruppen won't hop the railings.

Which bridges and railings would that be? There are a lot of bridges in this map - modded as well as unmodded - and I haven´t found any that didn´t work as normal.

Hi Jorge

I´ve now looked at the map and the screenshot you sent me.

There is nothing wrong with the trees - nor anything else in the map - when I load it. But it is obvious from looking at the screenshot you sent me that you don´t have the mod set in the game at all.

None of the buildings, railcars etc in the screenshot are modded. So of course some of the trees are black - they are modded too and only work as intended when the mods are in place.

I got the mod install all looks good wen playing full map...the problem is wen I reduce the map in the editor for a small battle

OK, I´ve been looking a bit more into it - and I think I have discovered what the problem is:

It seems that the Scenario Specific Mod Tag system doesn´t work for Quick Battles.

When I test this everything looks fine in every way - except in quick battles. My guess is, that the system doesn´t work in QB´s.

If I am right about this, I think there is only one way to use this mod set in QB´s: The "good" old way of placing a folder with the mods without the mod tags in your z/data folder - and removing it again when you play another game. I see no other solution right now.

I´ll post a question for BFC in the tech support about this.

Cheers

Which bridges and railings would that be? There are a lot of bridges in this map - modded as well as unmodded - and I haven´t found any that didn´t work as normal.

Here you go, it isn't that they don't work. The problem is that they do work. It is just visually they don't appear like what they are. Hopefully this will help. Don't take this the wrong way, the work is still great. It is just I think you have pushed as far as one can go modding.

Orders turn

wysinwyg01_zps30168bd8.jpg

Actual movement

wysinwyg02_zpsff660916.jpg

wysinwyg03_zpsf2d1e8c6.jpg

wysinwyg04_zps9d614d9c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So far the only indication I´ve had that anyone is actually using this mod set has been sburke´s comments. And his comments are closely linked to the fact that I asked him to test one of the scenarios for a micro campaign I´ve been working on - for the mod set and Bitvagorod map.

But since noone else seems to be using the mod set/map I see no reason to waste any more time on the campaign.

I'll be playing it eventually, but right now I have one PBEM going in CMBN and I am modding the RT portraits so, my time is limited. I did finally load it up and check it out and was blown away. I hope that we'll get something like this from BFC when they get to Berlin. The atmosphere is the best I have seen in any mod. It actually looks like WWII ruins.

Mord.

• 1 month later...

So far the only indication I´ve had that anyone is actually using this mod set has been sburke´s comments. And his comments are closely linked to the fact that I asked him to test one of the scenarios for a micro campaign I´ve been working on - for the mod set and Bitvagorod map.

But since noone else seems to be using the mod set/map I see no reason to waste any more time on the campaign.

never make your decisions based on what anyone else is doing.  if you want to make a campaign, go ahead.  release it if you feel like it.  Hell I have no idea what I'll end up doing with my map, but I can't thank you enough for the mod.  Time is one thing that I never have enough of, I have so many different things I want to do with CM.. and now there will be even more game families to chose from.  It is a curse I tell you.  :P

hey umlaut ! I just downloaded your map.. andshall be taking it for a drive via quick battle... also probing your axis vs AI :)

just quickly quickly.. i wish to tel you WOW. Fantastic map.. fantastic ruins !! 

PLEASE do the campaign..... we need more..