Released: Umlaut´s Factory Mod Set and Bitvagorod map

At long last...

...I have finished and released my Factory Mod Set and the Bitvagorod map.

A heavily damaged industrial town, based on a large set of modded buildings and other files.

Get it here, at GreenAsJade´s wonderful site: http://cmmods.greenasjade.net/mods/5371/details

15391385786_ec5e37b2e8_b.jpg16

In short, this is a set of mods that allows you to play in a town that looks a lot more heavily damaged than anything you can get with the stock building and terraing textures. And thanks to CM´s new scenario specific mod tags system, these mods will only show up in the maps that have been designed for these mods (unfortunately, there is one exception: The additional flavor objects in this mod set will work in all scenarios. But that shouldn´t be a problem. More on this later - or read the pdf in the mod set).

Included is also a map created for the mod set: The fictional town of Bitvagorod - with a large factory complex and an small industrial river harbour.

This mod set and map has taken nearly six months to create - and is 351 MB large (zipped). It includes 409 BMP files and 24 MDR files. The modded textures are mainly:

Buildings

Bridges

Flavor objects

Roads

Terrain

And a few vehicles turned into flavor objects (a railcar and an old GAZ truck)

This is primarily a map:

The btt file Bitvagorod is first and foremost a map - meant for CM players to create their own scenarios/quick battles on.

There is an axis vs AI scenario included as well, but this scenario is very, very rough and unfinished. It is not at all ready for general release - and I have only included it to give players who don´t have the patience to create their own scenarios a chance to play right away. But play at your own peril!

I am currently working on a proper scenario for the map, but this will not be finished for probably two months at least.

A few words of caution:

The Bitvagorod map has been thoroughly tested with the kind help of several members of this forum, and the tests show that these mods will probably slow down your game - or maybe even make it crash. This is probably because of the large number of files involved. The only way to find out how it will affect your computer is to load the game in CMRT. If the game crashes, it might help to remove some of your other (non scenario specific) mods.

Also, the use of these mods do have some minor negative effects on gameplay. So to avoid frustration, I strongly advice you to read the PDF file "The boring stuff you need to read to avoid unpleasant surprises" included in the mod set.

A bit of background

I have aimed to create a damaged town that looks realistic - more realistic than is possible to make with the stock damaged buildings. Consequently, the core of the mod set project has been to turn some of the current stock buildings into heavily damaged buildings. I had to make this mod set as the damage shown on the stock CMRT buildings didn´t allow me to create a heavily damaged town. A bit simplified the damage on the stock buildings could be described as: Either a large hole in the wall - or completely flattened.

However, I would like to stress that I don´t think this is due to bad or sloppy work from BFC, but because they have to deliver a game where all the little pieces fit perfectly together. As a modder, I have the luxury of being allowed to make texures that will work in some situations but be completely useless in others.

I ´ve tried some of this before: Six or seven years ago I made a "Stalingrad-ish" mod pack with damaged buildings for CMBB. I´d been considering doing the same for CM2 ever since the release of CMBN, but I decided against it for several reasons: Firstly, because the way textures are used and displayed in CM doesn´t go very well with making damaged building mods. But more importantly: Making these mods would affect the buildings in all the player´s scenarios, not just the ones they were intended to be used in. That meant that the players using the mods would have to move the mods in and out of their z folder, depending on which scenario they were currently playing.

Fortunately, that is no longer an issue since the release of CM2 3.0 and the introduction of scenario specific mod tags. The mod tags make sure that the mods will only show up in the scenario that are made for these mods (except for flavor objects, unfortunately). So I thought I´d give it a try.

Enough words - the rest for now will be pics

Enjoy

PS:

I am very grateful to the following for their invaluable help and advice in creating this mod set and map:

Juju

TanksALot

EarlofGrey

The same goes for the guys that helped test the map:

Sburke

AlexUK

Erwin

Buzz

Blazing 88´s

15391393736_74d736f985_b.jpg28

15227896107_a0de05711c_b.jpg27

Thank you umlaut. I ran a quick test of "Bitvagorod" with only "Umlauts Factory mods" in the Z folder. Looks great and runs better = a bit less stutter on the Hackintosh!

Did you change anything in this iteration?

One difference here is I am using a HDTV monitor at 1080i tonight not the 2560x1440 Dell.

Thank you for you huge effort to make us a heavily damaged industrial town to battle in.

umlaut, I have a question. I notice some of your modded bmp's are named slightly different than the default ones; for example, you have two fence bmps, "fence-picken" and "fence-pickem" while the game defaults are "fence-picket" with various added descriptive words like "straight", "corner", etc. Have you figured out some re-naming trick, or, heaven forbid, are these typos (and so won't actually show up in-game)?

umlaut, I have a question. I notice some of your modded bmp's are named slightly different than the default ones; for example, you have two fence bmps, "fence-picken" and "fence-pickem" while the game defaults are "fence-picket" with various added descriptive words like "straight", "corner", etc. Have you figured out some re-naming trick, or, heaven forbid, are these typos (and so won't actually show up in-game)?

No, I havent figured out some renaming trick - but Tempestzzz has. I am using his method for adding - and naming - extra flavor objects. So these arent typos. Read more here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/whercbavxakwgyf/Adding%20extra%20flavor%20objects.pdf

Buzz and Erwin: yes, there are a few changes, compared to the test sets. But only minor changes in the map and the horizon files.

No, I havent figured out some renaming trick - but Tempestzzz has. I am using his method for adding - and naming - extra flavor objects. So these arent typos. Read more here:

Buzz and Erwin: yes, there are a few changes, compared to the test sets. But only minor changes in the map and the horizon files.

Ah, I see. Very clever of Temptestzzz, and good to know.

What an incredible mod project, a true work of art. I'm still in awe at the amount of work and creativity that went into it. I just wish my system didn't take at least 10 minutes to load the scenario. (No more ATI video cards for me)

Me too. I'm going to have to dump my relatively new ATI card and go back to Nvidea.:mad: It hasn't worked as well as the old one since I installed it. Many scenarios, especially in MG take 10-15 minutes to load, and lately, I've been getting as low as 5 FPS.

What an incredible mod project, a true work of art. I'm still in awe at the amount of work and creativity that went into it. I just wish my system didn't take at least 10 minutes to load the scenario. (No more ATI video cards for me)

Amazing work - I just wish I had the system to run it properly - some day.... :(

Thank you Umlaut, all the testers & Tempestzzz.As Tanks a Lot noted..."... the amount of work and creativity that went into..." is huge and it shows.

Me too. I'm going to have to dump my relatively new ATI card and go back to Nvidea.:mad: It hasn't worked as well as the old one since I installed it. Many scenarios, especially in MG take 10-15 minutes to load, and lately, I've been getting as low as 5 FPS.

What card do you have? My 270 works well.