The Pacific series MG question

John Kettler

I'm finally watching this, but I'm perplexed at the notion of a lead Marine unit (as best I can tell) waltzing about the jungle with M1917 water cooled HMGs. Did the screenwriter screw up, were all the BARs rented out from the armorer already, or did I somehow miss something in all my reading on the Guadalcanal campaign? My understanding is that such a weapon would be in the Heavy Weapons Company of an Infantry Battalion, so what's it doing here?

Any help on this martial oddity in the series would be much appreciated.

Regards,

John Kettler

I think your right, JK, since the standard Marine Squad had around 2x Bars, and the Weapons Platoon having the M1919...At least you can still watch it for the content.

I still have the Pacific Series all Wrapped-Up from last X-Mas, and need to sit down and finally watch it.

Joe

The Marines landing on Guadalcanal were largely armed with Springfields and Reising SMG's and not the Garands and Thompsons we more commonly associate with American involvement in WWII. Marine battalions contained a weapons company in addition to three infantry companies, and water cooled 1917s were prevalent on Guadalcanal.

I haven't seen more than a few snippets of The Pacific, but my understanding of its premise is that it follows a few well-known Marines like Leckie and Basilone. Basilone earned his MoH while commanding two sections of M1917 machine guns. The writers got this one right.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Am now watching Episode 6 (Peleliu Airfield), and it struck me: There are no BARs to be seen anywhere. Nor did I see any in the prior episode. Either that, or I've gone blind. In a mini-series in which the military consultants and researchers obviously did their homework, big time, I'm utterly confounded the very base of fire for Marine squads appears to be completely missing from the war. Were all the BARs rented out for somebody else's bigger, costlier war movie? Somehow, I doubt it. In a show in which the grog factor goes right down to someone carrying the special box for the 60 mm mortar sight and placing the sight on the weapon; where both the Nambu and Hotchkiss pattern MGs are present and blazing away; in which there's a Marine sniper with a scoped '03 Springfield, how did we wind up missing such a key weapon as the BAR. Anyone know?!

Regards,

John Kettler 

Edited by John Kettler

Am now in Episode Seven, where a miracle just occurred. An actual BAR sighting at 14:08! Mind, I've still to see one on the line, yet I'm curiously thrilled to see one at all. Naturally, in keeping with common practice, a small guy's stuck carrying the thing.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler