• Announcements

• Battlefront.com

Special Upgrade 4 Tech Tips   12/27/2016

Hi all! Now that Upgrade 4 is out and about in large quantities we have now discovered a few SNAFUs that happen out in the scary, real world that is home computing.  Fortunately the rate of problems is extremely small and so far most are easily worked around.  We've identified a few issues that have similar causes which we have clear instructions for work arounds here they are: 1.  CMRT Windows customers need to re-license their original key.  This is a result of improvements to the licensing system which CMBN, CMBS, and CMFB are already using.  To do this launch CMRT with the Upgrade and the first time enter your Engine 4 key.  Exit and then use the "Activate New Products" shortcut in your CMRT folder, then enter your Engine 3 license key.  That should do the trick. 2.  CMRT and CMBN MacOS customers have a similar situation as #2, however the "Activate New Products" is inside the Documents folder in their respective CM folders.  For CMBN you have to go through the process described above for each of your license keys.  There is no special order to follow. 3.  For CMBS and CMFB customers, you need to use the Activate New Products shortcut and enter your Upgrade 4 key.  If you launch the game and see a screen that says "LICENSE FAILURE: Base Game 4.0 is required." that is an indication you haven't yet gone through that procedure.  Provided you had a properly functioning copy before installing the Upgrade, that should be all you need to do.  If in the future you have to install from scratch on a new system you'll need to do the same procedure for both your original license key and your Upgrade 4.0 key. 4.  There's always a weird one and here it is.  A few Windows users are not getting "Activate New Products" shortcuts created during installation.  Apparently anti-virus software is preventing the installer from doing its job.  This might not be a problem right now, but it will prove to be an issue at some point in the future.  The solution is to create your own shortcut using the following steps: Disable your anti-virus software before you do anything. Go to your Desktop, right click on the Desktop itself, select NEW->SHORTCUT, use BROWSE to locate the CM EXE that you are trying to fix. The location is then written out. After it type in a single space and then paste this:

-showui

Click NEXT and give your new Shortcut a name (doesn't matter what). Confirm that and you're done. Double click on the new Shortcut and you should be prompted to license whatever it is you need to license. At this time we have not identified any issues that have not been worked around.  Let's hope it stays that way Steve
    • Battlefront.com

Forum Reorganization   10/12/2017

We've reorganized our Combat Mission Forums to reflect the fact that most of you are now running Engine 4 and that means you're all using the same basic code.  Because of that, there's no good reason to have the discussion about Combat Mission spread out over 5 separate sets of Forums.  There is now one General Discussion area with Tech Support and Scenario/Mod Tips sub forums.  The Family specific Tech Support Forums have been moved to a new CM2 Archives area and frozen in place. You might also notice we dropped the "x" from distinguishing between the first generation of CM games and the second.  The "x" was reluctantly adopted back in 2005 or so because at the time we had the original three CM games on European store shelves entitled CM1, CM2, and CM3 (CMBO, CMBB, and CMAK).  We didn't want to cause confusion so we added the "x".  Time has moved on and we have to, so the "x" is now gone from our public vocabulary as it has been from our private vocabulary for quite a while already.  Side note, Charles *NEVER* used the "x" so now we're all speaking the same language as him.  Which is important since he is the one programming them
Sign in to follow this  
db_zero

Now that Red Thunder has Been out for a While

db_zero   

How would you rate it in comparison to the other theaters? For me its:

1. Normandy

2. Market Garden

3. Italy

4. Red Thunder

I like Red Thunder and Russia. I just happen to like the other modules better. I know its a matter of taste. I have seen some of my h2h opponents who after we've finished 3 or more games h2h in RT want to go back to Europe. Whether that will change again once more battles come out for RT remains to be seen.

Still I'm very happy with the purchase of Red Thunder and will continue playing it.

Some of the battles h2h seem pretty uneven. The lack of Soviet infantry AT weapons can really put the Russians at a severe disadvantage when the Germans concentrate on killing AT guns and the few tanks if any the Russians may get, knowing that once the AT guns are knocked out they can just keep their tanks distance and have nothing to worry about.

JasonC   

For me it is RT by miles, Italy a distant second, Normandy a distant, distant third. MG, not interested. The modern versions, disappointed and don't play them anymore. Basically RT got me playing this system again.

Erwin   

I think CMRT was the best so far "out of the box". But I enjoy playing all of em (including CMSF and CMA). It depends on my mood.

I am disappointed that we only got one Axis and one Allied campaign with CMRT and no user made ones since CMRT came out. (Campaigns are the best way to play imo as one needs to be concerned about ammo, manpower and equipment/vehicle conservation like in RL.)

Maybe it's the increasing complexity is discouraging campaign-makers. Will we see a time when we need to pay BF for good professionally made campaigns? It would be worth it I think.

A co   

They are all great games, and I am always happy to play any of them. But the most important differences for me are the in the feel of the landscapes, so I like the green lands of Normandy and Holland best. Not that there aren't great maps to be had in RT or in FI.

Skwabie   

In order:

CMSF

FI

BN

RT

I am disappointed that we only got one Axis and one Allied campaign with CMRT and no user made ones since CMRT came out. (Campaigns are the best way to play imo as one needs to be concerned about ammo, manpower and equipment/vehicle conservation like in RL.)

amen. there're sizable campaigns in CMSF, some of them 20+ missions long making it quite a rich experience. Now the length of them has quartered. I wait to see what cmbs brings...

Maybe it's the increasing complexity is discouraging campaign-makers. Will we see a time when we need to pay BF for good professionally made campaigns? It would be worth it I think.

don't mind that either.

Always found that the base games 'value' goes up dramatically after the release of the first module. The key for me at least is the variety that the family of releases provides. CMRT, good start but already waiting for the Berlin module. :D

When I play a well-made scenario, then that is the one I like the best at the moment. What I like the most is the variation between the three than one single game.

MikeyD   

CMFI with Gustav Line get my vote solely on the basis of the fall/winter/spring seasons and the valid excuse to building mountains in the editor! :)

CM Bulge and later modules for CMRT will get their fall/winter/spring too. But CMFI has it now.

Oh - people do tend to forget, though, that CM:Afghanistan also had winter snow, also had mountains, and the applicable scenario dates in the editor went all 12 months for year after year. No 3-4 month tight timeframe.

BN+MG

FI+GL

RT

I like them all, but having much more fun with BNMG. I'm not that into the Russian front but bought it all the same... I suppose I'll get more into it in time.

I would however be more interested in it if they did a Barbarossa version :)

Based on the frequency of my current playing:

CMFI/GL - feels like there is a lot of content, V3 re-sparked my interest, feels like a bigger theatre, lots of different weather and challenges.

CMSF - the old engine can be frustrating but it is so very atmospheric, masses of content, performs well, Red v Red seems very contemporary, some great new mods out (Kieme's HD graphics), can't wait for V3.

CMBN/CW - lots of content, loads of scenarios, more familiar equipment.

CMBN/MG - street battles versus AI often betray engine shortcomings, begs for an operational layer to add some context - overwhelming odds are fun if you feel you are making a last ditch effort that has a subsequent effect on the overall situation.

CMRT - just hasn't grabbed me. Maybe a winter theatre will.

Apocal   

1. RT. I like the setting, the terrain is definitely a huge factor without being as frustrating as bocage, I'm not playing with early/mid-war cripple-tanks, there is an interesting variation in composition between the two forces and engine improvements.

2. BN. Loads of content, plenty of scenarios, some great campaigns, Market-Garden doesn't really interest me much but at least added something besides the airborne operation.

3. SF. I like modern forces, the asymmetric tactics involved, the setting is especially timely and it had tons of content.

4. FI. Just not interesting to me at all.

They are all freaken great.

Only fools rate them

But CMFI/GL has provided me with the best battles so far.

I can think of some very interesting H2H matches I have had in that series.

Plus I really enjoyed the campaigns in them the most also.

Did I just rate it, Oh I am a fool

Ranger33   

Haven't really been able to play CMRT due to having the troops-can't-enter-buildings bug, but I've enjoyed the handful of battles I played.

That said, I rank all the WW2 titles as roughly even, just different flavors of the same tactical goodness. I'll be playing them all for years to come. I would rank CMSF slightly above them all though. It just feels more complete when you have all the modules plus all the possibilities of Red vs Red scenarios. Each NATO force has completely different sets of gear that force your tactics to be radically different.

db_zero   

I didn't intend for Shock Force to be in the equation, but now that it is I'd have to rate it number 5. I like it and have all the modules, but its dated and when playing the newer combat mission stuff you really miss things like target briefly.

The tank vs tank combat feels way unbalanced unless you go blue n blue which seems weird.

I'm sure Black Sea will rectify alot of the above.

Don't get me wrong I still like Shock Force and Afghinistan. Just not as much as the WW2 stuff.

Erwin   

What sets CMSF apart for me is that the WW2 titles are very similar to play aside from graphical treatments of new units.

CMSF is completely different. Aside from the era, preservation of force and ammo is a major objective. Plus the CMSF maps a are very open with long LOS and it's enjoyable to be able to use long range weapons.

If you play the fully patched CMSF plus the xnt mods available, you can sim all sorts of scenarios and campaigns. Right now there are mods and scenarios that enable one to play in Libya, Iraq, Syria, Pakistan, and even Europe etc. and as many NATO allies or regional govt or UNCOM including ISIS, FSA, Liwa al Islam, SAA, Al Nusra Front etc. CMSF is amazingly versatile.

Check out the CMSF forums and see some of the screenshots.