CMSF needs an active screenshot thread

2nd Pltn by now is in an absolute frenzy feeling they have their foe off balance and are going in for the kill.

A team blasts their way into an insurgent position eliminating occupants and then immediately taking under fire units that had moments earlier thought they were safe.

stryker155_zps07cfec9f.jpg

stryker156_zpsa367547b.jpg

stryker157_zpsaa59b66b.jpg

stryker158_zps9e4f7156.jpg

stryker159_zps77d69e8d.jpg

The tone of the battle is changing as the Americans forces unequivocally sieze the initiative away from the insurgents.

Superior night vision capability, better C2, overwhelming firepower, rapid mobility and better discipline all begin to accelerate the rapid destruction of insurgent units that try to stand and fight.

Dismounted B Co. units prepare to take down a Mosque south of the MSR that has been identified as a base of fire for the insurgents.

stryker160_zps32f4b4fe.jpg

Mortar fire is called down on positions where fire is originating from against 1st pltn

stryker161_zps817a9a42.jpg

2nd pltn makes for the high rise buildings

stryker162_zpscf7f5224.jpg

US units start appearing in unexpected positions making insurgent movement hazardous in areas thought secure.

stryker163_zps315c4939.jpg

stryker164_zpsced81d4a.jpg

US units continue house clearing as mortar rounds fall in the compound across the street from the corner house.

stryker165_zpscf8201b7.jpg

stryker166_zps985e9c5f.jpg

stryker167_zps9f953e4e.jpg

At this point the battle has become totally one sided. The insurgent force scrambles for cover, going on the defensive. For the US it is important to take advantage of the hours of darkness to maintain all elements of US superiority, but they will now have to dig the insurgents out. A new phase of the fight begins in the early hours before dawn.

The reason for this coming all at once is the scenario has gotten so big and active, I am having difficulty loading a save. I lost three turns backtracking to find one that would load at one point. The insurgent force had 690 men and has lost 228. US losses so far are 4 dead and 6 wounded out of a full Stryker Bn (most of which is uncommitted). It is played out on the full Ramadi map so it is a bit of a processor cruncher. My original intent was to have US reinforcement take longer, but I was worried I wasn't going to be able to run the scenario too much longer so I sped things up. Besides this was just a test run. I can't wait for CMSF 2- triggers, ammo caches you can actually search for and lord knows what other goodies by then. Sadr city and maybe Fallujah scenarios. I miss the target briefly command, armor covered arcs etc better map editing capabilities (no offense to LLF, this is an incredible map, but CM has more options now than it did then. Still CMSF is a helluva game for being as old as it is.

Terrific AAR. It does teach that Strykers are very vulnerable like WW2 halftracks - ie have no business being so close to enemy units.

Yeah, the interesting thing is while reading Stryker: The Siege of Sadr City they seemed a bit more survivable. Many were heavily damaged, but out right destroyed didn't seem to occur that often in the book. Could just be perception. I was a little more aggressive with them than I would be now. If those RPG teams were more skilled the force would have been shredded.

Also came across this from 2005

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/m1126-strykers-in-combat-experiences-lessons-01323/

Survivability? Russian analyst Vasiliy Fofanov external link may have had good reason to be impressed. Col. Brown:

“We were hit by 115 RPGs hit Strykers over the year we had here, not one penetrated a Stryker, not one. Not any — no machine gun fire penetrated a Stryker inside. We did have a soldier that was killed in a hatch by an RPG — standing up in a hatch, and they fired from a building on top, but not one RPG penetrated a Stryker; 115 hits, it’s a fantastic vehicle. …Does it need improvements? I don’t know of any vehicle that doesn’t. I’d put a laser range-finder on it. I’d stabilize the gun, maybe put a larger gun on it. The Army’s working all that. Is it a fantastic vehicle? Yes.”

Colonel Robert Brown commands the 1st Brigade of the 25th Infantry Division, operating in Mosul and the surrounding region in the northwest part of Iraq. They’re also known as the US Army’s second Stryker Brigade Combat Team.

And thanks, quite a bit of fun

Great battle narration and an interesting story, sburke. I want to know what happened to Lt Romaniecki and 1st platoon! I have not played CMSF for over a year now. My intent was to stick to the newer titles and come back to CMSF after it was upgraded to the new engine. However after reading through your battle narration and looking at the screen shots I think I will have to give it another try. Just when I think I'm done ...... I get pulled back in.

So Strykers are more survivable in RL? Or is the problem the way they were used in the game?

Honestly I have no idea. My impression from the article and book is they were more survivable versus an RPG. Both of mine that were hit were put out of action. Real questions of their survivability seemed to pop up once the insurgents started using more powerful IEDs, but they were never designed or intended for that. Up until that point the only articles I have found tend to be very positive about them. I even found one talking about how they gave chase to a car and were able to catch it, something a Bradley could not do. In the car they found IDs for a couple insurgents and in the course of the evening used that info to bust an insurgent cell.

I even found one talking about how they gave chase to a car and were able to catch it, something a Bradley could not do. In the car they found IDs for a couple insurgents and in the course of the evening used that info to bust an insurgent cell.

Thats nuts, imagine doing the PIT maneuver with that thing :eek:

sburke,

That was fantastic! I bought that book based on your post and your battle is damn close to the one described. Amazing how well the game can simulate real action.

Thanks for doing this and sharing it. A great AAR!!

Ken

Thanks ken. The scene (well one scene, there were so many) that floored me was when the militia blew a building to try and bury them. Unfrigginbelievable.

• 2 weeks later...

106610e6-6475-40af-bb10-01eeef475b40_zps809a138b.jpg

From CMSF Marines Scenario Day at the Beach. USMC advances on the objective with the assistance of close air support. (I did not intend for the close air support to be so close. The BTR 60 was already knocked out.) However it is interesting to see the difference in close air support between the WWII titles and CMSF.

Thanks Mord, I got it! Now for a follow up question. In you description at the repository you recommend combining your civil war mod with your mixed combatants mod.

I found Mord's combatant's mod dated 16 Nov. 2009.

Is this the mixed combatant mod you recommended?

I was already using your radio chatter mod. I sometimes switch the radio chatter mod with Mords Total Chaos US w/ radio chatter mod and crank the volume (until the wife intervenes). Thanks for your time and effort on this stuff. You do good work.

Thanks Mord, I got it! Now for a follow up question. In you description at the repository you recommend combining your civil war mod with your mixed combatants mod.

I found Mord's combatant's mod dated 16 Nov. 2009.

Is this the mixed combatant mod you recommended?

I was already using your radio chatter mod. I sometimes switch the radio chatter mod with Mords Total Chaos US w/ radio chatter mod and crank the volume (until the wife intervenes). Thanks for your time and effort on this stuff. You do good work.

This is what headphones were invented for. :D