this game is way over looked

Mastiff

You can tell as well, all the crap looking messy maps were made by snowball, whereas the ones that actually look like Afghan are made by BF employees.

Lol, don't be too hard on them. Map making in CM has come a long way. I can remember the first time broadsword and I used a QB map from CMBN for a hth game. We were both very disappointed. Since then we have stuck to our own maps but a lot of the maps released these days are gorgeous. One of my favorites is still Studienka in CMRT. I can't hold snowball accountable to a standard that is still developing. And I agree with others, this is an overlooked game. I just reinstalled it on my new PC a couple weeks ago, but never seem to give it the attention it deserves.

Unfortunately, while there are folks who would love to see CMA upgraded, it sounds like it will be a long wait to get even the much more popular CMSF upgraded, and no info an anything more for CMA - possibly cos it was made by a Russian contractor.

Not so sure that the issue is based on who it was made by, but that very well could preclude BF from doing anything with it. I think from BFs view they just have too much right now to even consider this. There seems to be quite a base for CMSF. Enough to justify in BFs eyes to bring it to the current engine and support model. Unfortunately I don't think that is the case with CMA. BF hasn't even hinted on redoing this title. Who knows given a couple years though.

I would like the game if it wasn't so very far behind engine wise compared to the rest of CM. Its probably from me being spoiled by the other games further along in the engine, but this one gives me the worst performance and it kills it for me. Definitely would love to see it revisted with better models, textures, tank riders etc. but not going to happen sadly.

Oh and does anyone think the amount of western firearms the muj have in game are a little over embellished. I get maybe some pakistani G3's but M-16's, FN Fal's, and AR-10's kinda seem far fetched and i took it for just Russian spin.

It would be useful if BF had the capability of polling customers re just how many would pay for an upgraded CMA - I wonder if it could be done alongside or part of CMSF2.

The real issue is how many thousand paying customers for any particular game do they need to at least break even.

From video I have seen from that era, they did have a very eclectic assortment of weapons. And CIA etc were also supplying them. They had Stingers etc.

Assortment of kalashnikovs, enfields and stingers yes but show me the firearms i mentioned ive yet to come across any pics of those at all.

• 7 months later...

I think CM:A is the perfect bridge tool between low tech WWII and high tech CM:SF & CM:BS.

Lee enfields, Brens and early APS drozd is a great juxtopositon imo.

As for the upgrade, I would love it to happen and gladly pay but I am afraid it is bottom of the priority list for BFC because of it's a niche within a niche within a niche (sorry Edgar Allen Poe).

With 4 current CMx2 titles to service not too mention someone along the line CMx3, BFC are thinly spread methinks!

Overlooked? I have been studying the Soviet - Afghan War for over ten years now and couldn't have found anything decent in terms of PC games of any sort to cover that. I even came across that game myself some three years ago and decided it's not worth much, but perhaps that was its early stage and definitely not version 1.03. Now I am almost constantly at my PC, training and learning the ropes with quick battles and training missions before embarking on campaigns and getting deployed to the DRA in battles. I have just been practising with calling the arty support and was amazed to see the airburst munitions delivered and Hinds attacking in criss-crossing patterns and just the way they did in Afghanistan. I was made to know better while some of their rounds went over the ridge and hit near the area where motorized infantry were in a hurry embarking their bronegruppa. Then minutes before departing the AO and finishing the mission an enemy RPG hit one of the vehicles and destroyed that, killing one trooper and shaking the other ones.

That has to be Afghanistan.

Edited by burroughs

Lol, don't be too hard on them. Map making in CM has come a long way. I can remember the first time broadsword and I used a QB map from CMBN for a hth game. We were both very disappointed. Since then we have stuck to our own maps but a lot of the maps released these days are gorgeous. One of my favorites is still Studienka in CMRT. I can't hold snowball accountable to a standard that is still developing. And I agree with others, this is an overlooked game. I just reinstalled it on my new PC a couple weeks ago, but never seem to give it the attention it deserves.

Do you have any maps on the repository?

• 1 year later...

CMA is one of BF's hidden gems.....Grittiest and best iteration of CMSF by far.

Would love to see an update covering US/NATO's entry into the fray in Afghanistan.....But I wouldn't want to buy another full game just to do so as this one already works so well.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

2 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

CMA is one of BF's hidden gems.....Grittiest and best iteration of CMSF by far.

Would love to see an update covering US/NATO's entry into the fray in Afghanistan.....But I wouldn't want to buy another full game just to do so as this one already works so well.

Me too i'd like to see a CMA :ISAF based on the ISAF in Afghan from 2001 to 2014. Watched so many vids of ISAF troops in Afghan mainly US and Brits, also Ross Kemps' documentaries. Eye opening stuff.

Interestingly, i was just reading the CMA manual, where it tells of the aftermath of the soviet- afghan war on page 12 and at the end it tells of the rise of the Taliban and then goes on to 2001 with the NATO intervention and it finished with "but this is another story, for another time...". Maybe at some point BFC will come back to Afghanistan to create a new game based on the NATO/ISAF intervention after all. That last line seems to suggest so.

Edited by cns180784