[WIP] modding CMSF into HD

Downloaded the terrain files, looking forward to checking them out.

I think there's a problem with "Ground 4", when I download it's named "Ground 5" and after unzipping it looks like the files inside the folder are the same as the "Ground 5" folder.

Thanks again for doing these!

No problem! Thanks again for doing these, just checked them out for minute in a scenario I'm playing and they look great.

One question, I noticed the terrain seems to 'pop in' a little more obviously as I move the camera forward (as in a 'tracking shot' across one end of the map to the other).

I'm guessing that's just an effect of having the higher res textures?

No problem! Thanks again for doing these, just checked them out for minute in a scenario I'm playing and they look great.

One question, I noticed the terrain seems to 'pop in' a little more obviously as I move the camera forward (as in a 'tracking shot' across one end of the map to the other).

I'm guessing that's just an effect of having the higher res textures?

Probably yes. Some textures more than Others show this problem, I'll try to look more into it. I have not found the "mini" versions of the textures (something that was there in CMN and CMRT, for example), which provide for the long range texturing, not sure if CMSF miss them or they are hidden somewhere I could not find them.

I might need to tweak some ground textures brightness to show up in a better combination with distant ground.

Probably yes. Some textures more than Others show this problem, I'll try to look more into it. I have not found the "mini" versions of the textures (something that was there in CMN and CMRT, for example), which provide for the long range texturing, not sure if CMSF miss them or they are hidden somewhere I could not find them.

I might need to tweak some ground textures brightness to show up in a better combination with distant ground.

Cool, thanks for the info. It's not a 'deal breaker' or anything, just was curious as to why it might be happening.

Should just really use the 'ctrl + mouse clicking' method to jump around anyway, as panning/moving the camera has always been so sluggish in CM games.

Anyway thanks again for doing these, looking forward to downloading the files tonight.

first, it's a great set of textures, many thanks for sharing

Yep, the "sand" ones are very visual disturbing as the "far" look yellow and the "near" are more grey.

whereas It's a great improvement from the stock textures, this is disturbing when looking from above.

first, it's a great set of textures, many thanks for sharing

Yep, the "sand" ones are very visual disturbing as the "far" look yellow and the "near" are more grey.

whereas It's a great improvement from the stock textures, this is disturbing when looking from above.

I just found the "mini" ground textures, must have been in one of the patch packs. Well, I'll just have to make the mini version and release them in a dedicated pack, will be ground 10.

This should solve the problem with distant grounds, or at least make it less horrible.

- Submitted ground10 with the distant grounds -

You are welcome, in ground 10 part you'll find the distant terrain, it should fix the problem with that and give a better look to large maps.

Generally speaking, some texture colors are different than the vanilla ones, so the entire mod might have a better or worse look in some maps, due to the fact that in some cases the Tiles were chosen by the scenario creators because they blended toghether nicely, and it might be not the same with the HD mod on.

I have checked some maps within scenarios and campaigns and was pleased with the result in most cases.

All in all I'd say that the mod fits the game but for the only exception of "optional highway mod", which is good only for new maps, because all older maps/scenarios/campaigns won't have a good looking highway with that mod on.

Anyway, horizons/sky etc. have been submitted too. Unfortunately there are some glitches I couldn't find a way to correct within horizons textures, but I decided to release them anyway.

Thank you very much, I wish this game would be upgraded to 3.0 standards, there's just a lot missing.

For example: I was making a wall Yesterday, and noticed how limited are the options of complex wall formations if compared to CMBN or CMRT (missing "T", "X" "+" for example)... this also makes you appreciate the improvements CM 2x games have had in the past 7 years.