[WIP] modding CMSF into HD

Well, you can try to use the textures in CMA, the files should be arranged in the same way, but I am pretty sure you'll need to rename some of them. I don't have CMA so it's up to you to try. Besides, I wouldn't like to load another 500mb to the repository with the very same files but on another game's folder, wouldn't be right.

It should be, yes, just like a vehicle's texture.

Working on a scenario with a long highway I had to recognize that even my battered highway does seem a bit out of place, I have re-worked it to blend a bit more with the terrain, so here it is:

208wvvs.jpg

Inspiration:

87644638.jpg

Same dusty layer applied to the other pavement (airport like), but I went for a less evident dust (also to avoid a clone effect that might pop out in case of elaborated weathering):

14bnc5f.jpg

THe optional highway Tiles should now blend more with the modded terrain.

I'll leave the darker, newer kind in, as it might be useful in some cases (urban scenarios). I'll update the optional highways to include this.

I'd really like to make a "standard" highway mod that could fit the original game, but the effort of aligning textures properly is quite overwhelming.

Need to differentiate between the "Optional Highway" which is what the photo depicts - sorta like the best of the ME freeways - and regular "Paved Roads". (And even with your highway photo, note the absence of lane divider lines.)

Outside of UAE and maybe some high end towns like Muscat, the "Paved Roads" are usually in very poor condition. Perhaps you could experiment with drawing black jagged lines across the road to simulate cracks in the road. Also, maybe potholes using the magic of light to create a depth feeling.

I was recently on the roads in Jordan and they were bad outside of Amman. You have done a wonderful job with your other mods. So, I hope this feedback re roads is helpful.

I think there are some pretty good ones. I have versions for FSA, Liwa al Islam, SAA, Jabhat al Nusra at least. Some already have black squares on the vehicles with white Arabic writing, so even look like ISIS vehicles and insignia (obviously different writing). No flags unfortunately.

The UNCON mishmash "uniform" mods have black outfits as well as yer regular Islamic fighters.

I also have an xnt beat up taxi mod.

I tried using FRAPS to take screenshot, but I can't get it to work. :(

I think there are some pretty good ones. I have versions for FSA, Liwa al Islam, SAA, Jabhat al Nusra at least. Some already have black squares on the vehicles with white Arabic writing, so even look like ISIS vehicles and insignia (obviously different writing). No flags unfortunately.

I tried using FRAPS to take screenshot, but I can't get it to work. :(

Hmmmm actually i think i made those a long time ago but deleted them. Shoot them my way if you can Erwin. Thanks

The Taxi is by M1A1TC. Unfortunately there are no other README files to ID the makers of the others.

Send me your e-mail and I'll try attachments. They're about 4 MB each.

Ya the those with the flags and the license plates were mine when i first tried modding CMSF. Kieme can definitely pull off much better. Thanks for sending me those Erwin. Dude you really collect these mods!!!

Thanks for the pictures Saferight,

here it is a flag taped on the pickup:

i38efm.jpg

Just tryed something for that "mud camo" on the old White hull pickup, it could be used for the ZSU technical, since it is the only one with a dedicated texture:

2mesgma.jpg

I got an idea for an IS campaign, could be really fun, something like: assault on mannagh airbase in Syria, capturing some tanks and then onto Iraq invasion, something like that, with a big mix of units/vehicles, I'll try something but I am no expert in scenarios ot to think about campaigns..

That looks awesome Kieme. I like where your going with this and hope you plan on doing more for the AFVs. If thats the case... for the other Syrian vehicles there are a few where theres plain green or sand versions where you can perhaps apply your own camo.

From what i've seen of camo on vehicles in syria it runs from the most hasty sloppy paint jobs to very intricate so theres lots of inspiration to be gained from browsing pics.

Here is a search from a blog with lots of photos that you might find useful.

http://milinme.wordpress.com/page/3/?s=syria&submit=Search

Here is a easy go through list of Syrian Vehicles that might give you some more inspiration.

http://spioenkop.blogspot.com/2013/02/syria-and-her-fighting-vehicles_25.html

Re Ramadi, it depends on what it was called. I actually can't find a scenario file or map called "RELIEF OF JOKER..."

I had playtest versions. So, not sure what the released scenario is actually called.

I know what the scenario is called, but that was only half the map. If he released the full map not sure what it would have been called.

A search in the repository using Ramadi reveals....

Scenario - USMC Ramadi (IRAQ): Relief of JOKER 3 Download (Scenarios & Campaigns)

Map - Ramadi Government Center FULL_UPLOAD.zip Download (Maps)

On the latter, LLF's accompanying text states

"At long last I am uploading the full Ramadi Government Center map to the Repository, for the productive use and enjoyment of any and all. I find it unlikely that I will be doing further scenario design in the near future, but I look forward to seeing what the community may do with it.

For those not familiar, this map faithfully recreates the 1.7km x 750m urban core of Ramadi, Iraq, a key battleground during the US-led Anbar counterinsurgency of 2004 - 2007. The main east-west highway, Route 10, aka "Main Supply Route (MSR) MICHIGAN" and the Anbar Government Center, nominal and besieged seat of the US-backed Anbar Governorate are the central elements of the map, together with the huge Saddam Mosque, the city cemeteries and the market district.

There is no scenario and no AI plan...."

A search in the repository using Ramadi reveals....

Scenario - USMC Ramadi (IRAQ): Relief of JOKER 3 Download (Scenarios & Campaigns)

Map - Ramadi Government Center FULL_UPLOAD.zip Download (Maps)

On the latter, LLF's accompanying text states

"At long last I am uploading the full Ramadi Government Center map to the Repository, for the productive use and enjoyment of any and all. I find it unlikely that I will be doing further scenario design in the near future, but I look forward to seeing what the community may do with it.

For those not familiar, this map faithfully recreates the 1.7km x 750m urban core of Ramadi, Iraq, a key battleground during the US-led Anbar counterinsurgency of 2004 - 2007. The main east-west highway, Route 10, aka "Main Supply Route (MSR) MICHIGAN" and the Anbar Government Center, nominal and besieged seat of the US-backed Anbar Governorate are the central elements of the map, together with the huge Saddam Mosque, the city cemeteries and the market district.

There is no scenario and no AI plan...."

outstanding, thanks Blimey