[WIP] modding CMSF into HD

Hi all,

I'd like to share some screens of the work in progress. Might sound odd to work on an old title but I really enjoy this and besides, it will be a good base to start with when the next modern CMBS title will come.

So, what's this HD thing? Simple, few guidelines I am following:

-textures must be 2x the original resolution size (4x in the case of highway Tiles, but this comes in another thread)

-new textures must be taken from actual real photographs

The results so far:

First of all a quick screen showing a simple house, reworked into HD, with new Windows and door, on HD dirt ground too.

vanilla:

jfkug4.jpg

modded:

2hi8eat.jpg

Second, a couple of complex Tiles, such as the pavements:

vanilla:

8x6lq1.jpg

modded:

2nc439k.jpg

Third, another building, this times I tried to go far off, making a very modern glass and steel structure, it's very Tricky, as the best result would be with Windows turned off, but this would make the structure unplayable. So, for now, I found this pseudo-solution: painting the detail frames in the same way of Windows, the result is not exceptional, but at least doesn't hurt too much.

vanilla:

2rnka3a.jpg

modded:

2qmnrib.jpg

And now a vehicle, starting from MikeyD plain sand BMP-2 (a fantastic mod for a modder) then I added a new subtle camo and some layers of weathering, no HD here, textures are of a standard resolution:

vanilla:

264khs6.jpg

modded:

zl4rx3.jpg

Please note that this last was made out of fantasy for fantasy scenarios I plan to make.

New stone wall and a new road type, this last took a while to be completed with all its alternative Tiles, I found that the double resolution strongly improves the roads most of all:

vanilla:

2805d1t.jpg

modded:

sl1ks9.jpg

Another couple of pictures, these will let you better understand the power of 2x texture sizes, especially in close-ups (the soldiers are untouched):

vanilla:

iba0t3.jpg

modded:

15wfqcm.jpg

Thanks Safe,

a couple of more screenshots: I re-worked, the first time for me, the horizon, found a large picture of an arid landscape and chopped it into pieces, after some adjustments (which take a lot of time) I managed to make it fit the game (hazy versions still do be done).

These textures are 400% the size, in pixels, of the original ones.

Vanilla:

2ladd0h.jpg

Modded:

zl4x08.jpg

Started working on the M1 too, the one above has seen just a little desaturation in color tone.

Kieme: It's really great that you are keen to improve CMSF. But, am not convinced that the horizon work or the desaturation of the M1 is necessarily an improvement. (One can get a similar effect on the M1 simply by messing with the videocard color controls.)

You said it was a lot or work and I would be concerned that you did a lot of work to achieve minimal if any improvements.

I know others may vehemently disagree, but just imo.

Great idea! A visual overhaul is just what CMSF needs. Like Aris HD textures for the WW2 titles.

Third, another building, this times I tried to go far off, making a very modern glass and steel structure, it's very Tricky, as the best result would be with Windows turned off, but this would make the structure unplayable. So, for now, I found this pseudo-solution: painting the detail frames in the same way of Windows, the result is not exceptional, but at least doesn't hurt too much.

Keep in mind though that buildings with certain textures serve certain roles in CMSFs scenarios. Replacing, for example, the textures of a stone building with wooden textures could lead to some scenarios having, for example, 8 story wooden buildings with a marker saying 'hospital' above them.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Buildings: at this time I am mostly experimenting, but augusto you are right, if I want to make a mod suitable for the base game it must respect the original characteristics of the vanilla buildings, so things such as the "glass" structure or the parking storey must be considered as additional structures.

Vehicles, at the time being I am messing around a bit, I'd like to create something like a fantasy arab-like country with a mix of west and old equipment (the Kingdom of Saudya? yeah I know, not too much effort there), so that's why I'm working on the M1 to modify it, in case it will be a separate mod, in general, the few vehicles I'll mod will work for this reason (see BMP-2), I can't see myself doing all of the vanilla vehicles, they are too many!

The horizions do not convince me either, I am already working on something different, despite the huge effort, but really I wanted a more realistic view, which evidently wasn't achieved (looks better ingame though).

What would you say about this? Too close? (please ignore the sky, yet to be done)

nv2ro2.jpg

2mwtb1v.jpg

2eur820.jpg

Same textures, 400% the vanillas', colors unchanged, practically non-stretched with respect to the original picture.

Thank you Chainsaw,

I have re-worked from a different picture the orizons, this is the best I could do with it, and I like it despite being not perfect. Again, can't say that is close to anything such as the real Syrian landscape, but it might work for the project I have in mind, which is fantasy in the end. I went for a medium close Hills + high mountains with snow on the background and arid terrain with bushes in the foreground. Reminds me more of Afghanistan or Nevada than anything, but I have never been there either.

Still, looks better than the original also thanks to the 400% size in pixel.

I did also a little tweaking to the sky, desaturated and darkened it a little (while the clouds are the original ones)

Here are some screenshots:

10i5ix0.jpg

mhdf94.jpg

aopb4p.jpg

An update on the project:

terrain Tiles: 100% done

sky, horizons and overcast clouds: 100% done

doodads: 50% done

roads: 100% done (highway tiles re-worked, not suitable for main game)

vehicles and troops: M1A1+BMP-2+Syrian infantry re-done to fit a fantasy game (not suitable for main game)

structures (original): 3 modded out of 7

structures (additional): 3 almost done out of ?

Worn out, 2nd-hand M1A1 belonging to Royal Saudyan Guard, 1st Btn:

6xqc2c.jpg

Overcast condition.

Very nice weathering work on that last tank!

However, I think it needs more shadows that make the details/features/equipment "pop" out. Otherwise it all starts to fade into a 2D picture. (Or maybe it's too close in color to the terrain - which if one is close to a vehicle is not the case.)

The thing about terrain is that it's rarely that featureless unless on is on mud or salt flats. I go to Nevada and Utah often and there is a lot more on the ground - there is almost always some life. Need little scrubs/bushes/cacti - also some indentations.

Thanks Erwin,

I'll try to add some shadows and highlights on the M1, still Learning how to apply layers and such, although the lack of shaders is something you really feel when coming straight from CMRT; also the buildings feel a lot more lifeless and I'll need to add some "fake" shadowing to improve them.

About the terrain, I'd like to hear more when it will be released, the screens aren't really of the best quality due to a size reduction, but thanks for the heads up... the original picture I took them out had quite a lot of foreground with bushes etc. unfortunately, I had to rip the large part of it off in order to fit the texture proportions needs, I might still try to add some more bushes by hand (on 4x 4000+ pixels images it won't be a pleasure time!).

WIP on buildings,

managed to found interesting pictures for the decorations in arabic style, I'll try to stick to the original concepts but some changes are needed in the color palette.

This is a WIP, I'd like to add a bit more effects and weathering, while, as per mod concept, everything is 200% the original texture size, Windows and door included.

Vanilla:

13zmnls.jpg

Modded:

2lnie55.jpg

I am a bit in conflict with buildings, as there seem to be quite a difference between rural and town structures, and in CMSF we don't have independent buildings... so I'll try to make some of them more decorated and some without any decoration, but there should really be two distinguished groups... well, I'll try to keep decos to a minimum.

Example of non-decorated structure, to look little more than a mud hut than anything:

iw3k0o.jpg

"...unfortunately we have no support for the [tag] feature in CMSF, that would make it possible to prepare a set of slightly modified buildings as you suggest, with damage, to fit a hot warzone where fights have been taking place for days or weeks."

I wouldn't worry about that. Been to 3 countries in ME so far and once one is outside the brand new "tourist/biz" areas, all the ME buildings look like they are in a war zone - really crappily build - mostly unfinished for some reason. So, you can make the building look as damaged/unfinished as you what and it will look authentic.

I have been to Egypt only, but saw the "bad" parts only from distance (outskirts of El Cairo from the highway).

Given your experience, I really look forward for your inputs after the initial release Erwin, I just completed the first 7 buildings, missing number 8 (that seems linked with the british add on). Concerning your thoughts, I went down heavy on Windows and doors, not much on walls, but I might add more weathering/damage anytime.

I have checked some mission maps within the USMC campaign plus few scenarios and my set seems to fit nicely with respect to the original concepts.

Draftee for the 8th and last of the stock buildings, this time I really want to make a comparison with the stock (dirty move as it's the worst looking one imho)...

Vanilla:

bezpkg.jpg

Modded:

w041dw.jpg

Some work still to be done on the buidings details, then some more weathering on the other 7. After that a few more tweaks to the terrain Tiles and I'll release a series of mod packs in the repository, ranging from full terrain, doodads, walls, roads, buildings, background, and the optional highway re-work.

Huge improvement.

One thing to bear in mind is that you won't see European style and size bricks in buildings. I saw large grey breeze blocks primarily.

Windows are just holes in walls. No window ledges or even frames.

And just a ragged unfinished look. Not a lot of nice straight lines etc.

send me PM with your e-mail and I'll send you some pics.