How do i get a hold of Michael Dorosh (MikeyD)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps, but that needs to be balanced against his militant ignorance.

For example: he excoriated BFC in several 'reviews' of CMBN because the Nashorn wasn't included in the game, which meant he couldn't do a literal translation of an ASL scenario. Reality, however, is on BFCs side - there were no Nashorns in NWE in the CMBN-CW-MG timeframe.

For example: he has excoriated BFC in several recent reviews of CMRT because the Russian manpack flamethrower is 'just a rifle, they didn't bother to model the actual weapon.' Reality, however, is once again on BFCs side. The Russians went to considerable effort to disguise their flamethrower as a rifle to try and keep the operators a bit safer.

Dorosh may be knowledgeable, but wisdom comes from the humility of realising what you don't know, and that other experts probably know more about a given topic than you.

Well, Jon, I don't think Michael is alone in thinking that ASL is the alpha and omega / gold standard of tactical wargaming, and any other tactical system where you aren't able to portray in a verbatim way an existing ASL scenario has a "problem" to some degree. That's an attitude that isn't going to die out easily - it can be debunked in several ways, the most effective being something other than engaging in a flame war.

A couple months ago I approached him about one of his CMRT scenarios, he makes scenarios and I am very fond of some of his designs, which was a "direct" ASL conversion, and we had a very constructive discussion about a couple things that ASL models in a quite ahistorical way - and 90% of ASL players are totally oblivious to it - and CM models in painfully realistic fashion. He was indeed reluctant to consider ASL to be in a fault, but I think that my observations registered. I took the same discussion to a forum heavy with ASL people, and I got a far more negative reaction.

I don't think there's usually a problem with the content of the message when one engages in discussions regarding accuracy/realism/historicity but in the way those messages are delivered. Everybody is wrong at some point in their lives, Jon, but how long it takes that individual to reconsider their position varies greatly :)

“I actually don't see what the big deal about the dummy is.”

A “old friend” from years ago now… stored his life size Darth Vader coiffed mannequin, holding a lifelike monkey / bird feeder hanging from a rope on Darth Vader’s arm with assorted candies in the bird feeder tray… very near his front door window. When the doorbell rang, he enjoyed slowly pulling the curtains aside so D.V. and his Monkey could greet the visitor with candies.

He was a medical practitioner specializing in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness.

That's always been my assumption regarding MD and his SS mannequin: he just likes the look on people's faces when they see it for the first time.

It was interesting watching the pilgrims reactions to Darth Vader and his Candy Monkey as the curtain was slowly pulled aside to greet them. Some ran away in fear while others laughed a lot. A few tried to strike up a conversation with Darth Vader through the window. These folks got treats from the Candy Monkey.