MS 8.1 Compatibility?

I upgraded my PC from MS XP to MS 8.1 and find that I'm not able to re-install CMSF. I've followed the suggested course of actions in the help registry for Vista and MS 7 OS installations, but no luck.

Has anyone here been successful? I have the full set of modules for CMSF and am sorry to lose the whole batch due to an OS upgrade.

Fencible

W8.1 64bit, worked fine for me. I have no idea what these registry things you speak of are about, I never had to do anything like that, I have CMSF + CMSF 3 Module pack.

That sounds very encouraging. Did you need to take any special steps to get it running? When I attempt to run the software nothing happens. I was forwarded the Runservice.exe executable from support, which I was told is required by the CMSF executable to set up the license, but it won't run in 8.1 either.

I also had no trouble with a clean install on a new Win 8.1 (64 bit) machine. No special steps: I just followed the excessively convoluted instructions for the installation of the three modules and patches.

It's a much nicer machine, and CMSF looks much better.

If it's of any interest, I had a similar conversation (with the roles reversed) about another game which didn't work on my new machine until I un-installed and re-installed.