ChrisND - CMBN scenario design question

Question for designers/developers who might know.

@ChrisND,

How easy will it be to take a v2.xx scenario and update it with v3.0 new AI functionality?

Specifically, I started a scenario using CMCW; completed the map, determined forces, started set ups. I have not created any AI plans yet.

1) After I upgrade to 3.0, can I import this v2.12 work-in-process and continue creating AI plans with the 3.0 engine?

2) If I complete any AI plans and somehow finish this before the v3.0 release, can I go back to it using the 3.0 scenario designer and revise the AI plan(s) with 3.0 features?

I've procrastinated this long. Just wonder for the sake of wondering. Thank you.

[bTW FWIW, enjoy the Twitch and Youtube videos but really love the narrations!]

@ChrisND,

How easy will it be to take a v2.xx scenario and update it with v3.0 new AI functionality?

Specifically, I started a scenario using CMCW; completed the map, determined forces, started set ups. I have not created any AI plans yet.

1) After I upgrade to 3.0, can I import this v2.12 work-in-process and continue creating AI plans with the 3.0 engine?

2) If I complete any AI plans and somehow finish this before the v3.0 release, can I go back to it using the 3.0 scenario designer and revise the AI plan(s) with 3.0 features?

I've procrastinated this long. Just wonder for the sake of wondering. Thank you.

yes you can. 3.0 offers additional options, but any scenario created in a prior version is fully accessible and editable. Sorry if I removed an opportunity for you to procrastinate. :D

@ChrisND,

sburke's response is correct.

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Reverse Engineering question for those who might know.

Are scenario's created using v3 backwards compatible for v2/v2.12 gameplay?

Specifically, what information should a designer state about versions for players when posting new scenarios to repositories?

Elaborate please. Thank you.

Are scenario's created using v3 backwards compatible for v2/v2.12 gameplay?

Nope

Specifically, what information should a designer state about versions for players when posting new scenarios to repositories?

A scenario will work with the version it was created with or anything newer.

So, if you created it with 1.1 then it will work with 1.1, 1.11, 2.0, 2.01, 2.1, 2.11, 2.12 and 2.2. If you created it with 2.2 then it will only work with 2.2.

Note: for the purpose of this discussion, the definition of created is the last version you saved it with :)