“Assault” vs. “Attack” in context

Maybe already asked, but what is the differences between Attack or Assault?

This for making scenario's and QB maps.

I googled it (for trying to understand the 2 things) and found this:

I've read a number of military history books, and the choice of assault versus attack seems to be a style choice of the author. The choice seems to be based on the size of the element that is doing the assaulting or attacking. A small unit like a platoon or squad is often described as assaulting its objective. A larger unit like a battalion is often described as attacking its objective. But they do interchange to words depends on how it sounds, and to avoid the tedium of using the same word all the time.

http://ell.stackexchange.com/questions/6348/assault-vs-attack-in-context

:confused:

The game use of the two terms doesn't correspond to any normal military usage. By "assault" the game just means a carefully prepared attack, with plenty of time, resources and support. It may mean an attack on a particularly important position or fortification, but need not. It envisions an assault as being the opening of combat on a particular piece of frontage, as a "set piece" affair, both sides ready - in contrast to a haphazard collision or hasty continuation of an ongoing action. But it is a loose designation.

My take is that it's mostly to do with prep and assets.

An 'attack' can be mounted fairly quickly with whatever is to hand, and has a reasonable chance of success because the defenders aren't too settled in their positions.

An 'assault' requires a lot more planning, and a lot more assets - especially fire support from air and artillery - because the enemy have had time to dig in, bring up reserves, lay minefields, and coordinate properly with their own artillery. Trying to 'attack' that would turn in to a bloody fiasco.

Some examples;

Op OVERLORD was an assault

Op COBRA was an assault.

The advance across the Cotentin peninsular from Utah Beah, over the period ~10-18 June was a series of attacks.

Ok. Thank you both :)

For sure,

An attack is more quick and hasty on a little scale with less info...

And an assault is more planned, bigger scale, bigger assets and men with more info...

Correct?

And in the editor or playing RT it is more an indicator or info and it does not influences the AI?

Hmmm. I've thought that in an Assault, the defender also gets a greater depth of his setup zone and the VLs may be set farther back from the front edge. This forces the attacker to fight through a greater depth of defenses in order to win. This balances the slightly greater number of points the attacker may spend to purchase his force.

Michael

It is relative only to the AI Force selection. This is what it means:

Assault AI Defender will have mines, foxholes, pill boxes, and the like, to choose from.

Attack AI Defender will Not.

Any other answer is incorrect.

Is this a change in RT, because I've just checked in BN and there certainly is a difference in points allocation as well?

From what I can recall 'meeting engagements' were always balanced and the other battle type got increasingly weighted in favor of the attacker. And the defenders got increasingly skewed toward static prepared defense as you progressed from probe to attack to assault.

It is relative only to the AI Force selection. This is what it means:

Assault AI Defender will have mines, foxholes, pill boxes, and the like, to choose from.

Attack AI Defender will Not.

Any other answer is incorrect.

The attacking side gets more points (relative and absolute) in an assault compared to an attack. 73% overage vs. 57% during tiny QBs.