Large shell craters eliminate anti-tank gun los?

I tried several different searches, so either I can't get the right search terms or it hasn't come up. In a quick battle with a human opponent we have a very battered city landscape. LOS is great in any straight line, so I put some anti-tank guns in large arty shell craters during setup. I checked all the LOS's from the guns, and everything was fine.

However, on my first turn after setup, the same guns, just where I placed them with fine LOS's, now have LOS's of 5-6 meters at most. Has this happened before? If so, is it a bug, or is there a gameplay explanation? I've never had an LOS change so dramatically from what showed at setup.

Womble you are exactly right. Any fortification you so carefully place on the map settles down about half a level destroying your carefully thought out line of sights. Affects all fortifications and craters.

Honestly I don't see how/why this problem still exists in version 3.0 of the engine...

You can start to walk a gun forward to the next tile. Then halt it immediately and give a facing when you think they have reached the minimal zenith of LOS. This works especially well for berms as well when you want a hull down effect with longer range for your paks. Not ideal, but it is possible to achieve with craters too is what I am saying.

You can start to walk a gun forward to the next tile. Then halt it immediately and give a facing when you think they have reached the minimal zenith of LOS. This works especially well for berms as well when you want a hull down effect with longer range for your paks. Not ideal, but it is possible to achieve with craters too is what I am saying.

The downside to this method is it negates the unmoved gun concealment bonus...