CMSF - Twilight 2000

You could, though victory conditions are not detailed for the red player, nor are there briefings for red. Theoriginal intent is SP as blue. The red is often sorely outclassed as well. That being said, nothing would prevent you from attempting head to head play.

Clubfoot, there may be a problem with one of the AI plans for scenario 3 - Restless Natives.

After scenario start, my forces spotted three vehicles and shot up the vehicles and their crews. Then I waited for an attack that never came. After scenario time ran out and nothing happened, I cease fired and saw the multitude of enemy forces near the map edge all around the map.

Looks to me like they didn't move from their initial placement so I don't know if that plan had a fail on the movement plan or time triggers.

Anyhow, still a victory and on to scenario 4. Damn, though. I would have liked to see how the attack on the farm would have played out. :(

Continuing on. Again, I will try to minimize spoilers.

Scenario 4 - Stuckey's Massacre

Nice balance scenario with a variety of terrain to make interesting options for approaches. As before, your troop quality against the mobs will stand you in good stead but don't get too cocky and beware the enemy snipers.

This scenario changed my outlook about snipers. Most of the time play CMSF, when I got sniper teams, I tended to overlook their talents because, well - they were a little underwhelming. The sniper reinforcements you get during this scenario gave me a new appreciation of the talents of snipers. During the battle, they were making some long range shots that I had to do a double take. All I can say is these boys can kick ass, making some impressive shots nearly the full length of the map (it is not large map but neither is it a postage stamp). At the scenario end, I found a number of emplacements that I did not engage with my primary troops to have anywhere from 50% to 90% casualties due to the sniper teams.

All I can say is I got to get me some more of that mojo.

Scenario 5 - Pox on Paxico

The title of this scenario sums up my feelings. Uggh. Damn urban sprawl and you got to fight through it to get to the primary objective. And a short time limit. @#$%!

I was delighted that the sniper teams stayed on and I gotta say, I appreciated their company on this one. In many cases, the sniper teams was probably the only way I was able to force myself down one flank and into the rear objective in the time I did. You will have to keep moving on this one as the clock will put pressure on you. Don't give it to the temptation to rush though - the enemy may not be as good in quality as your forces but stumbling into a kill zone will result in casualties you can ill afford.

Despite my worries about the time, I prevailed within the time allotted. MOUT combat is like getting root canal work done but that is just a personal opinion but I will say that this scenario is well done despite my opinion about the subject matter. A well done and well balanced scenario. Most people like myself would probably like to have more time but I got the job done with between 5 to 10 minutes left on the clock, so I don't think the time is a big issue. That said, you have no time to methodically grind the defenders to dust (my preferred way to fight MOUT battles) and you will have to chance some street crossing and hope your pixeltruppen make it across in one piece. Fortune favors the bold, as the say goes.

Scenario 6 - My Land, Your Land

Having taken Paxico, you now have to defend it. This is a straight up defensive action. Good positioning and interlocking fields of fire will stand you in good stead. This is the first appearance of more competent troops than the militia rabble you have shooting up till now, making them more dangerous.

I didn't take any casualties during this one but between 60-65% of my troops had the yellow cross on them at scenario end, attesting to the bloodiness of the firefight. All and all, a good fast paced battle that will have you wondering if you can hold out.

Scenario 7 - Prairie Rattlesnakes

The enemy in this one will quickly learn that old adage - Payback is a Bitch. The enemy is withdrawing and trying to escape the area, meaning that they are vulnerable while crossing open ground. Better troop quality but unless they stand and fight, it doesn't mean much in the long run. Your vehicle weapons on your few vehicles and the beloved sniper teams will make short work of the enemy as they try to run the width of the map. Keep your ground troops in contact but not too close (remember, the enemy is more competent than the militia rabble that the earlier scenarios pitted you against) and shoot 'em in the back when they bolt for it.

I found the scenario relatively easy but it could be the AI plan I got. Great fun for the payback for the misery the enemy put you through in Paxico. Bastards. Let the crows have 'em.

So far, I am really enjoying and digging the campaign, despite me getting a bad AI plan in scenario 3 in which the enemy decided to sleep through their attack (this is now fixed, according to Clubfoot). The scenarios really do capture the flavor of Twilight 2000 and I thank Clubfoot for the effort and time he took to construct this campaign.

Now, off to kick the renegade elements of the 4th ID in the junk!

Thrilled with the results your getting, BlackMoria. Not only are those marine snipers deadly accurate, with their addition the player can finally use the assault command.

And I certainly intended the Prairie Snakes scenario as a shot in the arm for morale. Making paste of the previous day's aggressors as they scatter through the wheat is certainly satisfying.

You're in the home stretch. And if the addition of the snipers wasn't enough, the next scenario sees the result of elbow grease and feverish labor... and retracking.

...despite me getting a bad AI plan in scenario 3 in which the enemy decided to sleep through their attack (this is now fixed, according to Clubfoot)...

Repository won't seem to update the file. Tried it from home pc, phone, kindle, and work pc. I'm calling it. I'll try again in a week or so to see if I can update the file.

• 2 weeks later...

Been out of town for the last several weeks but finally, back to the Twilight 2000 campaign. I will try to minimize spoilers.

Controlled Burn - Very fun scenario. Riff raff militia defenders with very limited anti armor capability. You got a tank. As in one but it is all you need. Basically, hit 'em hard in coordination with the tank and any other surviving vehicles you have and watch 'em fold like a poker player with a Oklahoma straight.

No Place Like Home - the capstone mission of the campaign. Hitting the heart of the 4th ID warlord's defence. Very nice, large map with plenty of choices of approach into the defended locality. Defenders are renegade elements of the 4th ID so they are competent and well armed so watch your approaches and ensure you use coordination with fire and maneuver. Note your mission objectives and stay focused on those and you should prevail.

A very enjoyable campaign that stays true to the grim and gritty legacy of Twilight 2000. Very different fare from most campaigns due to limited ammo resupply and no casualty replacements and limited reinforcements. Fighting your small unit through 10 scenarios to victory is an achievement given the limitations of ammo and no casualty replacements. You will get attached to the dogged but spirited men of B Troop and will feel every loss.

Fortunately for me, I managed to fight to Total Victory without taking one casualty though nearly 80% of B Troop was walking wounded by campaign end. But victory is victory and sweet. One despot tyrant with delusions of being the sole power in the area put down, as well as his cronies. Hooah!

Congrats, BlackMoria! That's a better result than I've managed. And thanks for feedback and time you took to AAR the campaign.

If anyone missed it, this got twitch treatment on Saturday, the results of which now reside on YouTube. Thanks for the chance to see it, Chris!

• 2 weeks later...
Going to play mission 2 of the campaign today at 1400 pacific time. Link in my sig.

Just an FYI, Twitch is not performing well right now due to the user load from E3, so I'm having trouble uploading Saturday's videos to YouTube. It might take a while.