CM Helper 1.2.0 available

Hmmm... when checking the CM installs tab the game still doesn't recognize the Gustav Line module as present. It reports "(latest is 1.10, not installed)" which is partly untrue and partly true; v1.10 is not installed, however the latest is v1.12 which is installed :)

Also, under Red Thunder is reports (version not known).

Both of these titles were installed in the My Documents folder of a Win 7 x64 system (I have found it is simpler in the long run to not install CM titles in the Program Files folder). Both are working with CM Helper so this is just an FYI post. Thanks for making this support application, it has really made pbem (in name only) a breeze!

sfhand - can you send me the log file from starting up CMH. If you can also send me the listing (screenshot or some other means) of the Data folder of your CMFI and CMRT installations, that'd help a lot.

It's _supposed_ to know how to figure out the versions of these, so I need to know in cases where it can't why is that so!

It's also just conceivable your install of one of those two games is corrupt (!) ... which is one of the things CMH is eventually supposed to help protect against. It will be great when we get to the stage where when CMH says something is wrong, we believe it instead of it likely being a bug :)

GaJ

So if I open CMH it will automaticly upload and download any new turns?

Yes

And where do I put my files?

You don't need to do anything with your files; CMH takes the file(s) from Cmx2 outgoing email game folder and puts them in the associated dropbox folder; when the next turn back from your oppo reaches the dropbox folder, CHM sees it is there and puts it in the game incoming email folder, and alerts you that it's your turn. All you need to do is fire up the game and go to saved games, and the file is there for you to play. Easy!

Do I still need to use DB?

Yes

And will it delete any old files?

Yes, if you set it to do so

Do I get a message if any new turn is added?

Yes

yeah yeah... N00B questions :D

I seem to have an error when I run v1.2.1

on running, I get the message

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "wx/_core.py", line 16767, in <lambda>

File "wx/lib/pubsub/core/kwargs/publisher.py", line 30, in sendMessage

File "wx/lib/pubsub/core/kwargs/publishermixin.py", line 24, in publish

File "wx/lib/pubsub/core/topicobj.py", line 340, in _publish

File "wx/lib/pubsub/core/topicobj.py", line 359, in __sendMessage

File "wx/lib/pubsub/core/kwargs/publishermixin.py", line 64, in _mix_callListener

File "wx/lib/pubsub/core/kwargs/listenerimpl.py", line 27, in __call__

File "controller.py", line 319, in OnAppEvent

File "controller.py", line 176, in _Go

KeyError: u'type'

And then when I try and add a game sintallation, I get

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "view.py", line 483, in OnInstallNew

File "wx/lib/pubsub/core/kwargs/publisher.py", line 30, in sendMessage

File "wx/lib/pubsub/core/kwargs/publishermixin.py", line 24, in publish

File "wx/lib/pubsub/core/topicobj.py", line 340, in _publish

File "wx/lib/pubsub/core/topicobj.py", line 359, in __sendMessage

File "wx/lib/pubsub/core/kwargs/publishermixin.py", line 64, in _mix_callListener

File "wx/lib/pubsub/core/kwargs/listenerimpl.py", line 27, in __call__

File "controller.py", line 328, in OnAppEvent

File "controller.py", line 397, in _ProcessUserEvent

File "controller.py", line 582, in AddInstallFromUser

AttributeError: Controller instance has no attribute '_installs'

Have I done something wrong? Windows 7, 64bit.

Hah - that was an interesting little bug.

Please try 1.2.3.

If it still is a problem please try deleting the file called AppState.txt, which is in the same folder as the log file: CMH tells you where this at the top of the log window. Then restart.

If it's _still_ a problem after that, please email me the whole log file.

Thanks!

GaJ

I'm getting the same errors as Squeaker with 1.2.3

edit: but deleting AppState.txt seems to have resolved it.

edit2: but it isn't seeing that I have GL installed (the GL line entry is there, but greyed out. So is CMSF)

Edit3: what's the 'Opponents' tab supposed to do? There's a CMRT-ish looking icon, but I don't seem to be able to add or edit anything there.

Edit4: the CMH Help.html file is missing. Selecting 'Help' from the menu bar generates a 'file not found' error.

AIUI you don't need to use DB specifically (I've got CMH 1.1.2 up and running with www.copy.com), but you do need to use some type of cloud storage to buffer the files between users.

Yep, apologies: when I answered that question with a flat "yes", I should have been more circumspect, and said just as you now have.

I think I took the basic tone of the admitted "newbie" type questions to mean "do I still need to use some sort of cloud storage arrangement", and it was a "yes" to my interpretation of the question that I gave. It doesn't have to be dropbox specifically.

Sorry for any confusion I caused.

JonS: thanks for the feedback. Sounds like 1.2.3 does resolve the squeaker issue - sorry that you have to delete AppState to clean things up.

Can you send me a CMH log file from striaght after starting up and a listing (screenie or otherwise) of your CMFI & CMSF "Data" folders. IF they are installed in the default place, then CMH should recognise that you have them, and tell you what versions of what modules you have. If they aren't installed in the default place, you would need to use Install->Edit or Install->Add to tell CMH where they are ...

Opponents tab doesn't quite do anything yet - I decided to pop CMH out when CMRT came out to enable CMRT support, but haven't quite got the "opponents" features sorted.

Yeah - I desperately need to write some documentation!

GaJ

Thx. I found out how to solve my Problems by Manually giving the Install Pathes of the Games i own. But now i have the Problem that everytime i Restart every Game in my List is doubled and he autosearches for new Installs that he finds: Version Unknown.

You get what i mean?

Great Program btw!

Hi GaJ!

Thanks for your wonderful utility! It makes managing PBEM games so much easier.

A little feedback:

With the folder structure change introduced by CMRT I think some confusion is caused while pointing CMH towards our install folders.

In the old situation (CMSF, FI and BN) you would point CMH towards the root install folder of the game, as it is here that the Game Files folder with the savedgames resides.

In the new situation however, the savedgames reside somwgere in the My Documents folder, whereas the label of the location you need to point CMH to inside your program is still called: Root Installation Folder.

Instead of having to point CMH towards the base install folder of CMRT (e.g. C:\Games\CMRT\), we actually need to point it towards the location in My Documents where it can read the savegames folder of CMRT (e.g. C:\Users\Name\My Documents\Battlefront\Combat Mission\etc). I suspect this is why some people are having problems. Perhaps you should rename the location 'box' inside CMH?

Lastly a little request;

I don't know if this is possible at all, but would you be able to make CMH remember which filenumber / turn a given game is at while not looking at the number in the filename?

I play CM on two different computers, but I currently cannot run CMH on both, because for example if I have played 4 turns on Computer A since Computer B had its last turn, CMH gets confused once I run it on computer B again to check for turns after these 4 turns have passed on the other computer.

Probably because it reads the last filenumber an expects the next logical one in return?

Would there be a way to circumvent this and just overwrite a given game with the latest turn found?

For example making CMH remember wether you are sending odd or even numbered files and then it just checks for the highest number in the dropbox it can find with that filename?

I hope I have explained it clearly enough!

Cheers!

I should write in the documentation actually: it is known that CM Helper does not support the playing of a game on two different computers.

The reason I have not tried to rely on one person having even and the other person having odd numbers is because nothing enforces that. Sometimes people actually manually change the number, for some reason or other (often after they have saved the game, so they have to manually type the new file name).

The other problem is knowing who's chat is which. Each instance of CM Helper (on each machine) will create a chat file, so there will be three chat files for two people...

I recently had a different brainwave about how to make this work, and it it is "on the list", but pretty low down because AFAIK not many people try to do this, and there are other more important things to do first. Maybe if you made a petition showing that lots of people would like this, then it would move up the list :D

GaJ

Maybe if you made a petition showing that lots of people would like this, then it would move up the list

I'd like to see this implemented, and all my other personalities would like it as well. So that may count as 'lots'. Recently installed RT onto the lappy for this purpose but had not got to the point of trying a multi machine pbem - might stick to the desktop for the moment (I hear araldite is good for that).

cheers