• Announcements

• Battlefront.com

Special Upgrade 4 Tech Tips   12/27/2016

Hi all! Now that Upgrade 4 is out and about in large quantities we have now discovered a few SNAFUs that happen out in the scary, real world that is home computing.  Fortunately the rate of problems is extremely small and so far most are easily worked around.  We've identified a few issues that have similar causes which we have clear instructions for work arounds here they are: 1.  CMRT Windows customers need to re-license their original key.  This is a result of improvements to the licensing system which CMBN, CMBS, and CMFB are already using.  To do this launch CMRT with the Upgrade and the first time enter your Engine 4 key.  Exit and then use the "Activate New Products" shortcut in your CMRT folder, then enter your Engine 3 license key.  That should do the trick. 2.  CMRT and CMBN MacOS customers have a similar situation as #2, however the "Activate New Products" is inside the Documents folder in their respective CM folders.  For CMBN you have to go through the process described above for each of your license keys.  There is no special order to follow. 3.  For CMBS and CMFB customers, you need to use the Activate New Products shortcut and enter your Upgrade 4 key.  If you launch the game and see a screen that says "LICENSE FAILURE: Base Game 4.0 is required." that is an indication you haven't yet gone through that procedure.  Provided you had a properly functioning copy before installing the Upgrade, that should be all you need to do.  If in the future you have to install from scratch on a new system you'll need to do the same procedure for both your original license key and your Upgrade 4.0 key. 4.  There's always a weird one and here it is.  A few Windows users are not getting "Activate New Products" shortcuts created during installation.  Apparently anti-virus software is preventing the installer from doing its job.  This might not be a problem right now, but it will prove to be an issue at some point in the future.  The solution is to create your own shortcut using the following steps: Disable your anti-virus software before you do anything. Go to your Desktop, right click on the Desktop itself, select NEW->SHORTCUT, use BROWSE to locate the CM EXE that you are trying to fix. The location is then written out. After it type in a single space and then paste this:

-showui

Click NEXT and give your new Shortcut a name (doesn't matter what). Confirm that and you're done. Double click on the new Shortcut and you should be prompted to license whatever it is you need to license. At this time we have not identified any issues that have not been worked around.  Let's hope it stays that way Steve
    • Battlefront.com

Forum Reorganization   10/12/2017

We've reorganized our Combat Mission Forums to reflect the fact that most of you are now running Engine 4 and that means you're all using the same basic code.  Because of that, there's no good reason to have the discussion about Combat Mission spread out over 5 separate sets of Forums.  There is now one General Discussion area with Tech Support and Scenario/Mod Tips sub forums.  The Family specific Tech Support Forums have been moved to a new CM2 Archives area and frozen in place. You might also notice we dropped the "x" from distinguishing between the first generation of CM games and the second.  The "x" was reluctantly adopted back in 2005 or so because at the time we had the original three CM games on European store shelves entitled CM1, CM2, and CM3 (CMBO, CMBB, and CMAK).  We didn't want to cause confusion so we added the "x".  Time has moved on and we have to, so the "x" is now gone from our public vocabulary as it has been from our private vocabulary for quite a while already.  Side note, Charles *NEVER* used the "x" so now we're all speaking the same language as him.  Which is important since he is the one programming them
Sign in to follow this  
togi

problem with shadows

I guess it is all perspective, but I don't think their customer service is poor. They just don't chatter about stuff. Honestly I wasn't paying all that much attention, he was I believe responding to a question from Togi, but I could be wrong about that.

Here is what I do know. The demo is out and it apparently includes some new stuff. There is at least one other major issue that had been pointed out that was being worked on about a very particular issue involving single story houses. So you figure you have at least two major issues they want to fix, they were working on the demo and a whole new game family. These guys are busy, seriously busy. Fun to see, but yeah it means they aren't going to be all that communicative. The demo being out is probably a very good sign though.

edit- actually there is a thought, you may want to download the demo and see if the shaders issue is any better in that. I honestly don't know if it is or isn't, but it sounds like it would be worth a shot.

Hello mate,

First of all, it's not an issue about shaders , it's only being seen while shadows are active.

I haven't tried with demo , but I will. One of my friends said that demo number is V1.0. So my shadows are close always in CMRT while open in FI and BN. It's about mostly V3.0

Thanks

Hello mate,

First of all, it's not an issue about shaders , it's only being seen while shadows are active.

I haven't tried with demo , but I will. One of my friends said that demo number is V1.0. So my shadows are close always in CMRT while open in FI and BN. It's about mostly V3.0

Thanks

ahh the fun arena of CM version numbers. It's is probably the single area where they drive me a little batty. I really wish they could separate the underlying engine from the game version. CM RT is currently 1.0, however when compared to CMBN it is 3.0 but compared to CMFI it is 2.0.... The demo probably says 1.0, but that is because it is demo version 1. MikeyD has already highlighted some differences which would theoretically make it 1.01 (CMRT), or 2.01 (CMFI) or 3.01 (CMBN) depending on your starting point..... umm yeah.

I know BF has it's own reasons for keeping that distinction. They are the ones who have to track all this in their own development so I accept that they have their reasons, but it is a bit maddening. That reminds me, time for a beer. Maybe a shot to go with it.

If I were you I'd dl the demo just to check. I don't know that you will find anything different or not. It is definitely different than CMRT, but how different I do not know.

BTW was that you? I thought I heard togi-san. Don't know if that was you on his chat or not.

ahh the fun arena of CM version numbers. It's is probably the single area where they drive me a little batty. I really wish they could separate the underlying engine from the game version. CM RT is currently 1.0, however when compared to CMBN it is 3.0 but compared to CMFI it is 2.0.... The demo probably says 1.0, but that is because it is demo version 1. MikeyD has already highlighted some differences which would theoretically make it 1.01 (CMRT), or 2.01 (CMFI) or 3.01 (CMBN) depending on your starting point..... umm yeah.

I know BF has it's own reasons for keeping that distinction. They are the ones who have to track all this in their own development so I accept that they have their reasons, but it is a bit maddening. That reminds me, time for a beer. Maybe a shot to go with it.

If I were you I'd dl the demo just to check. I don't know that you will find anything different or not. It is definitely different than CMRT, but how different I do not know.

BTW was that you? I thought I heard togi-san. Don't know if that was you on his chat or not.

Hey mate,

Yes I was in the chat , why are you asking same question to me?

I have heard that BFC will publish a patch, and but that was not news for me as that was naturally known already.

I wonder one thing that while Phil said that it was error to add mistakenly old shaders in the new game, we all thought that it would be very small easy fix and solution easy.

But we are waiting over 1.5 months without any information about this easy fix.

Also I wonder secondly that there were too many testers in CM RT beta, were they blind to see this problem or had they played with good condition shaders? If shaders was good , why customers were given this good shaders with a easy fix as mentioned by Phil before

If these shaders are added demo before the sold games updated (I'm not sure about this offcourse) , is it fair for you?

Thanks

Hey mate,

I have heard that BFC will publish a patch, and but that was not news for me as that was naturally known already.

I wonder one thing that while Phil said that it was error to add mistakenly old shaders in the new game, we all thought that it would be very small easy fix and solution easy.

Also I wonder secondly that there were too many testers in CM RT beta, were they blind to see this problem or had they played with good condition shaders? If shaders was good , why customers were given this good shaders with a easy fix as mentioned by Phil before

If these shaders are added demo before the sold games updated (I'm not sure about this offcourse) , is it fair for you?

Thanks

btw, I have tried the demo, it seems that shadow problem has been solved and game seems more smooth with rergards to the full release

Hey mate,

Not sure what you mean, if it was in reference to something Chris said then I was unaware, I didn't catch the details on that. I was quite selfishly absorbed in him playing Venafro. :D If it is why am I asking you to DL demo, same reason as OP. To see if demo is any better for you and the specific issues you raised. Again, don't know that it will, but it can't hurt to try.

Thanks

First off I never assume anything is "easy", secondly as mentioned previously BF is also working on multiple items for the patch not just this one, so it's relative ease has nothing to do with the overall patch release.

This is generally where I think the perception of "customer service" comes in. Folks make their determination not on what BF is working on, but only their own narrow interest. Honestly as just another consumer of their product, I find that fairly annoying. We are all adults here, you'd think we could maintain a larger view of the community of interests versus just our own little piece.

As to the beta testers, that is a whole other subject. They may not actually have the same issues as you, may not attach the same importance or might simply not be looking at it. I know I don't face half the troubles I hear reported from users including the one with the single story buildings. Speaking for myself I can also suffer a bit of tunnel vision. I am frequently looking at particular things and can miss other stuff that anyone else would probably think is ridiculously obvious. :o

As to the demo getting them fiirst, why not? Did it somehow decrease the value of your product? Is it better to delay the demo while BF continues to work on the patch release? Again you are only focusing on what is best for you, not what might make more sense for BF in it's production pipeline. That is assuming the shader issue is even part of the demo. I am not claiming it is.

edit- sorry just saw your note - very cool. That would imply BF is getting a little closer on the patch. Just a wee bit more. Also keep in mind this also ties into the upgrade plans for CMFI and CMBN. Whatever changes are included in the patch would have to be incorporated into those upgrades.

This bug (in my game) only appears when tanks are hit or destroyed (and that's very frequent :D )... The turret, gun (and MG hull), fuel tank and traps become suddenly dark.

Will this shader/shadow bug ever get fixed? It has been a very long time, and this was thought to be a small easy fix, according to the developers. Three months later, and still no communication from Battlefront.

I'm sorry, but I am getting tired of waiting for a fix. I know others on this forum say that Battlefront takes their time, and they do not release products unless they are rock solid. Well, they released CMRT less than perfect, with a blatant problem with shaders that make tanks very dark, and shadows that shimmer and dance around. I completely understand that games have bugs, and I have no problem with that. I do have a problem with Battlefront's lack of interaction with their paying customers.

Where is the patch, please? I think the paying customers deserve at least some kind of communication from the developers. I love these games, but I am seriously second guessing my decision to support this company with my purchases.

Anybody tried the new radeon beta drivers?

I'm happy with 14.4 drivers

I haven't tried 14.7 beta, I don't think to try till release too.

The problem is not about drivers of AMD , it's about wrong shaders

Regards

I have occasionally encountered these randomly dark vehicles in all titles since CMSF and over three different computer systems (all with nvidia cards).

I'm happy with 14.4 drivers

I haven't tried 14.7 beta, I don't think to try till release too.

The problem is not about drivers of AMD , it's about wrong shaders

Regards

No, the vehicle-darkness issue is an AMD issue. AMD cards have massive compatibility gaps with OpenGL, and specifically with GLSL. Things which are correct per the OpenGL specifications may NOT work with AMD cards, which makes it hard on occasion to figure out what's wrong. We've attempted to find workarounds for this issue, with no luck so far. I'll be looking into it again this week. If we find a fix we will release it.

shadows flicker and move like crazy, sometimes its too painful to watch, literally

This is an issue with all outdoor shadows in any game, it's just that CM, with its free camera and dynamic lighting, happens to show it more often. What kind of video card do you have?

I have occasionally encountered these randomly dark vehicles in all titles since CMSF and over three different computer systems (all with nvidia cards).

That was a different issue, one which I think we managed to solve a while back. This is an AMD/ATI issue with the hit decals, if I remember correctly. If you are seeing this with Nvidia please send me an email or post it internally, I'll take a look.

Will this shader/shadow bug ever get fixed? It has been a very long time, and this was thought to be a small easy fix, according to the developers. Three months later, and still no communication from Battlefront.

I'm sorry, I'm fairly certain I posted (probably in one of the myriad other threads about this issue) that what I thought would be an easy fix, was not. The issues that I thought were an "easy fix" are not the same ones being complained about here, either.

There are MANY threads about this, I just didn't manage to track down all of them to reply.

What kind of video card do you have?

I'm sorry, but I am getting tired of waiting for a fix. I know others on this forum say that Battlefront takes their time, and they do not release products unless they are rock solid. Well, they released CMRT less than perfect, with a blatant problem with shaders that make tanks very dark, and shadows that shimmer and dance around. I completely understand that games have bugs, and I have no problem with that. I do have a problem with Battlefront's lack of interaction with their paying customers.

Where is the patch, please? I think the paying customers deserve at least some kind of communication from the developers. I love these games, but I am seriously second guessing my decision to support this company with my purchases.

We've been extremely busy. There were a number of very serious issues that took precedence over lighting problems, for starters. I've been buried, to put it mildly. I did spend time on this problem after CMRT's release, but couldn't find a solution.

I will be looking into the lighting issue again this week, and if we find something, it'll go into the next patch. I don't have any control over when the patch is released, so I'll ask Steve to come and comment about that.

will this problem be solved coming patch for CMRT ? (Hit decals)

If I can find a solution, yes. AMD issues can be VERY hard to work out. We actually use entirely different shaders for ATI/AMD cards, because we can't rely on them to follow the specs that work for Nvidia and Intel. I'll do my best.

so you will start for BN and FI too , I hope it will not last too long to solve because we can't use shadow on option, please be informed

I had thought that this issue will be solved upcoming patch for RT

regards

Well, that's the plan, but I don't want lie to you - it won't be easy, and I can't guarantee we'll find a good fix for it soon. Like I said, I'll do my best.

When we do find it, it'll go into the next patches for all of the 3.0 titles.

Same problem here in CMRT with shadows....I have a Radeon HD 5770 video card. Seems like all is ok until a tank brews up and then I get blotchy dark areas on all the vehicles on map. Could it be a problem with the way dynamic lighting from the tanks on fire affects the shadows?

Strange but I don't seem to have the same problem in CMFI or CMBN. I have not purchased the upgrade yet and am a little afraid to do so if it introduces this problem.

nvidia quadro k2000m on my laptop and ati/amd in my desktop, both with same problem.

I use to play with shadows off to get rid of the flickering... but as soon as a tank brew up becomes the dark on the rest of the tanks ... and and also bright, i.e.- dark turret and brigth body....

It appears to only affects some tanks, depending on their position so most feasible a lighting issue... but others, as if ramdomly, just get brighter even if far away. It seems as if depends also from with height i was looking them, the lesser the height the lesser the effect.

as i play mainly with the germans i can't tell for sure if it affect the russians, but my feeling is not... could that come from the modeling?.

as you see mostly are mere feelings but just for the sake of my contribution to the cause

It's from hit decals. They create a real problem for the shadow system + shaders.

Hmm, I hadn't heard about it on the Quadro, but that's a good clue. As you know the Quadro is not a gaming card; there may be similar driver issues to the ATI ones (which also don't focus so much on standard gaming tasks). Thanks.

Hey Phil -

As you may have read (or not), I just switched over to Nvidia GTX 770 from an AMD 7870 for load time purposes

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=116078

BUT - I'm presently fighting Getting Ugly and do have some missing hit decals. One upper rear hull hit on a Panther; and two top-down 82mm mortar hits on two different Panther turrets (one was partial penetration). The mortar rounds that struck the top hull did show the hit decals. Win 8.1 64 bit, latest Nvidia drivers. Hope this helps...

Sign in to follow this