Test, inexplicable results

Setup: T34/85 vs. Stug, 1200m. Eleven vehicles per side. Flat map. Each time the side chosen first- Axis or Allies- gets creamed. Often a 11-0 reversal. Either 1 player, 2 player hot seat or real time.

This test was run about a dozen times times. Explanation? Is the second side presumed to have the 'jump' on the opposing tanks even if the action is supposed to proceed simultaneously?

Stug vs T34, 1200m.zip

When making any test scenario that presumes "parity", the first order of business is to make sure there is parity :) That means same soft factors (Experience, Morale, etc.), same button status, same terrain, same facing, same just about everything other than a carefully controlled specific variable or two you want to test for.

Steve

Player tanks start buttoned, AI unbuttoned.

Didn't know that (how could we?). In that case the Stugs now wipe the floor with the T34/85s at 600 meters and especially at 1200. Superior optics making themselves felt one assumes.

Speaking of buttoned tanks, is it possible in the future to show the buttoned status on the unit panel? Now the player has to navigate to the command panel or zoom in on the unit to get that knowledge.

Speaking of buttoned tanks, is it possible in the future to show the buttoned status on the unit panel? Now the player has to navigate to the command panel or zoom in on the unit to get that knowledge.

This isn't a bad idea - although I would probably be happy if a modder made it more obvious on the command panel. Because even on that panel, the only way to tell is for my aging eyes to notice whether there is a dark grey shadow around the (lighter) grey "open up" button. And then I have to remember whether the button being depressed means that the tank is opened up, or whether the button not being depressed means that that the tank is opened up.

Yes, my life is hard...

Usually I just look at the tanks themselves, though.

I recall awhile ago playing a small IS-2 vs Tiger I shoot-out battle repeatedly. Playing Soviets but issuing no orders as the enemy advanced from 1000+ off. 5-6 times up I successfully walloped the Tigers. Then for no apparent reason the next several runs the Tigers thoroughly walloped me! I switched sides, reversed the procedure. For awhile my Tigers walloped the oncoming IS-2. Then for a couple turns the IS-2 guns started finding their targets. One gets the impression the two tanks are fairly evenly matched (though each has their particular advantage). That victory or defeat balances on a knife-edge. Placing the tank a few meters left or right, forward or back was just enough to tip the scales.

That is something I've been wanting for a long time as well.

Didn't know that (how could we?). In that case the Stugs now wipe the floor with the T34/85s at 600 meters and especially at 1200. Superior optics making themselves felt one assumes.

That is pretty interesting. In testing I was finding the T34 85s were kicking my butt to such a degree I started to develop a complex as bad as my Western Front one for Tigers. I eventually got over it, but still have a very healthy fear of them. The 76mms version however is a whole other issue. They spot much worse and don't have the punch.

That is pretty interesting. In testing I was finding the T34 85s were kicking my butt to such a degree I started to develop a complex as bad as my Western Front one for Tigers. I eventually got over it, but still have a very healthy fear of them. The 76mms version however is a whole other issue. They spot much worse and don't have the punch.

If you run my test as the Axis side and are careful to unbutton the Stugs you'll see them get the better of the T34/85s nine times out of ten. At 600m and, more emphatically, at 1200m.

This isn't a bad idea - although I would probably be happy if a modder made it more obvious on the command panel.

That is one of the things that I like about Juju's UI mod. Well, there is lots to like about his mod. Making the toggle settings clear is the great functional change that his UI mod offers.

Right now im playing a PBEM against Panthers,Tigers and Stugs. Fighting Ranges are +1000m and more. Those cats owning my Su85 and T34/85s

Often i dont even have the Chance to spot them. Feels very realistic. Hope they tone down the Hit% a bit more. Right now they hit like on the Practice Range (soviets too)

I had a Frontal Hit from a Panther on the Gunmantlet of a SU85. Penetrated and took him out with 1 Hit.

Any Site where i can compare Russian Guns against German Armor and visversa?