Audgisil

Improvement to Combat Mission Graphics performance - Nvidia

Once again I've learned the lesson that faster and more isn't always better. This is something everyone else likely already knows, but anyway...

One thing that always bugged me about the performance of Combat Mission was the way it would often stutter a little when rotating around the map. I've got a pretty powerful system with a good graphics card (Intel i7 overclocked to 4.2Ghz with a GTX 770), but there were still huge fluctuations in frame rate and it was these fluctuations when navigating around the map that actually caused the stuttering. I've never really cared about getting super high frame rates, but I was always fiddling with the settings to try and get rid of the stutters and screen tearing.

Problem solved. In the Nvidia control panel, you can set the Vertical Sync option to "Adaptive - with the refresh rate halved". I set my monitor to 60 Hz and get a solid 30 frames per second regardless of what's going one. If it does occasionally drop, it goes down to 27-29 fps, so it's not at all noticeable and then jumps right back up to 30.

Combat Mission doesn't need more than 30fps anyway to look buttery smooth, so I couldn't be happier.

Yes, I will try that. I find the NVidia choices to be quite confusing, so anything simple like this is helpful.

Why does it work better with "half refresh rate" vs full rate?

As far as AMD goes, I couldn't really say what exact options to change in the settings, but you would want to look for something that would limit max frame rates to 30 (or whatever magic number you decide). However, the higher the number the more your frame rates will fluctuate, and this is what seems to cause the noticeable stutters.

When you are looking at just a small part of the map with not much on it, you might have frame rates of around 50 or 60, when you rotate around to that big forest, and it suddenly drops to 28, the difference is substantial, and it appears to stutter. When it drops from 30 to 28, you don't even notice.

I'll let the technical experts jump in for a better explanation.

You might try enabling triple buffering in the CCC Control Panel. It is supposed to help with OpenGL games. Seems to have helped me a bit.

This is excellent! Setting the Vertical Sync Tear Control to Adaptive and the Frame Rate to half the refresh rate gives me smooth 30 fps even in CMSF and CMA with my 660 Ti even with shadows on.

I used these settings for FSX and it works well, but never thought it would also work for CMx2.

Many thanks, von Albert.

For those with nVidia cards, the 337.50 beta drivers were released Monday and nVidia claims it should give a nice performance increase with some games. Myself, I have noticed a nice performance increase for Shogun 2: Total War as an example. Beware these are only beta drivers though.

"Headline features of today’s 337.50 Beta driver include DirectX 11 and SLI performance optimizations of up to 71%, game load time reductions, new and updated SLI profiles, and 3D Vision optimizations that enhance DirectX 10 and DirectX 11 3D titles."

337.50 nVidia beta driver info

I think the CMx2 series suffer from a serious lack of optimization, not only CMRT. The game engine seems to be limited by the mono CPU operation and also by the OpenGL graphic engine that last graphic cards don't utilise properly. I thought NVIDIA cards performed better and it is true, but also they have problems as you explained.

What ingame graphic settings do you use with gtx760/770 to get more than 25 fps? (1080p).

For the AMD side (R9 270x) and with a similar PC, I only can get 18-35 fps with model and textures balanced, with shadows, AA and shaders on.

The use of shadows has a huge impact in the game performance (I lose 15-20fps). I wonder if Battlefront cannot do anything to improve the impact of them.

It also may be worth checking out nvidia's new gysnc technology when it becomes available later in the year, and I'd be interested to see how it affects the CM series in terms of image quality and fluidity of movement. Only downside is the hefty requirements - new monitor and at least a 7 series nvidia card.

As mentioned above, also very keen to learn more about possible multi threading development in the CMRT engine, as alluded to in one of ChrisND's online sessions.

cheers

"...set the Vertical Sync option to "Adaptive - with the refresh rate halved"

Sounds very reasonable. Thanks for the input / advice. VA

I'm a bit clueless when it comes to video card controls but I can state my computer did not burst in to flames as a result of taking your advice. That's half the battle right there!

Hmm, on my end it seems to affect drawing distance, the game looks like CMBO, only the first three action points are Hi res and even that requires that I drop down to first person view.

Drawing distance is too low for me also, but when the game draws more than this on best settings (model textures), the game is unplayable. Will Nvidia cards move the game at the highest settings?

Official thoughts...

This is a good trick. There's a similar one on the Mac. However, as with many tricks there's a drawback. And that is the technique results in CM shortening the draw distance because it's getting some conflicting data that it uses to tailor draw distance to performance.

I've asked Phil to look into this a bit more and see if there's a better way to address the core problem or at least the symptom of the trick. Hopefully something else can be done.

BTW, we've incorporated this trick in our Knowledge Base. Thanks von Albert!

Steve