76mm

Camera won't stop rotating!

Really strange.  I have no idea what could be causing that.  How many other see this - and cannot account for it with food or pets :D

The issue is not caused by sticking, food or pets.

I have had the same issue for a long time and BF tech support has never found a solution.

Sometimes, manually rotating in the opposite direction works. Sometimes reboot of the whole computer must be done as a last resort.

I've installed CMRT on a new computer and this problem is back, but is even worse--now instead of spinning the map shoots off at a high rate of speed.  None of the tips posted in this thread fixes it.  Honestly, this just sucks, it is hard to get motivated to fire up this game when you know that when you do you'll have to spend ten minutes trying to get the camera to behave.  Doesn't anyone have a solution? I've got Win10 64bit.

If you have a new computer, does that mean you have an old keyboard/mouse lying around to swap with the new item to see if it corrects the problem? If you're talking a laptop then things get more complicated. I've had to replace my mouse/keyboard four times over since I've been playing this game.  And I've had to pay close attention to the surface the mouse is moving over. Hardware wears out - especially if you're in the habit of eating sandwiches over the keyboard while playing.

It is a desktop; the keyboard and mouse are both new--three months old.  I have a spare keyboard, but not a mouse (actually I use a trackball rather than a mouse).  I will  try swapping the keyboard, but I had this problem on my old computer even as I went through about three keyboards, so I don't think the keyboard is the problem.

I've noticed that it seems like the camera will not allow itself to be over the map--it scoots off at high speed until it is not over the map any longer, then stops.

I'm extremely frustrated that I seem to be one of the few people that have this problem, despite being on two separate computer systems with very little in common between them.

@76mm

I'm thinking maybe your problems are due to your trackball. Very few seem to use those, and you're getting a technical problem that very few people see. Try switching the trackball for a regular mouse for some time and see if that solves the problem.

Edited by Bulletpoint

@Bulletpoint Yeah, I thought of this too--in fact the trackball is the ONLY common element between the two computer systems (second trackball, but same model).  I've been busy with work lately and haven't been able to monkey with this (or had time  to play the game), but I will give it a try.  Although I hate the though of giving up my trackball!

Well, it's not the trackball...I unplugged it a few days ago and plugged in a new mouse.  Things worked fine for a couple of day but now the problem is back.  Very very frustrating, game is basically unplayable.

On 20/8/2016 at 9:18 AM, 76mm said:

Well, it's not the trackball...I unplugged it a few days ago and plugged in a new mouse.  Things worked fine for a couple of day but now the problem is back.  Very very frustrating, game is basically unplayable.

That's the worst, when you think you finally solved problem with your computer, you happily play your game for a couple of days, then suddenly it's back.

My last idea is to try remapping all keys that are involved with turning the camera to something else, then see if it solves the problem. If not, then BF helpdesk is your last hope.

shortly after my last message, I did what you suggested with the hotkeys...so far no reoccurence, but I've been hesitant to post because I'm sure that as soon as I post it will happen again.

On 6-9-2016 at 6:34 AM, 76mm said:

shortly after my last message, I did what you suggested with the hotkeys...so far no reoccurence, but I've been hesitant to post because I'm sure that as soon as I post it will happen again.

I've had the same problem. Another thing is that from time to time the game automatically zooms in, 20x. The only remedy is to exit the game and start it up again.

Edited by Aragorn2002

I've recently acquired a laptop with Windows 10-64 bit on it ( away from home for long periods for work :( ) and have experienced this a couple of times now.

Quit game and reboot has always worked for me so far, but have no idea what causes it. :angry:

I still have this problem after all these years, using different computers and different input devices.  I basically hardly play anymore because most times I start the game, I cannot get the camera to stop spinning.  Except when it doesn't.  Very very frustrating...

[EDIT]  After some experimenting, I've had some success in trouble-shooting the problem:

1)  If I remove the hotkey.txt file from the userdata folder, the problem stops.

2)  If I keep the hotkey.txt file in the userdata folder, but delete the alternative (ie, non-standard) camera control options, the problem DOES NOT go away.

3)  If I keep the hotkey.txt file in the userdata folder, but comment out the camera control lines, the problem stops.  

Not having a hotkey file or camera control hotkeys is not doable for me, but hopefully I can narrow it down further...

Edited by 76mm

Yes, this problem has been around for years. It still happens to me with 4.0. I am able to solve it by using Hotkeys to move the screen in opposite directions of the spinning. When that fails, reboot the computer.

I found this is the v4 upgrade readme file. I don't know if it would apply to this.

* SCREEN EDGE PAN TOGGLE: Tired of trying to fine tune a camera position and then messing it up by touching the edge of the screen with the cursor? Using the hotkey ALT-E you can disable camera panning by touching the screen edge with the mouse cursor.

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

randomly tap the default move camera keys, one of 'em (nobody seems to know exactly which) will stop it.....It's a small ritual you have to go through to keep the BF Wargods placated.  ;)

Sometime this works, sometimes it doesn't.  I think it is somehow connect to the hotkeys file, but haven't figure out exactly how.  I have not had this problem in a few weeks now, so maybe the evil map-spinning demons have been exercised from my computer.

3 hours ago, IanL said:

Just out of curiosity what graphics cards do those that see this problem use?

That's the thing, I've had the problem on two different computers, with different video cards.  This computer has an NVidia GeForce GTX 960, my other computer also has a Geforce, but I forget which model.

14 hours ago, 76mm said:

That's the thing, I've had the problem on two different computers, with different video cards.  This computer has an NVidia GeForce GTX 960, my other computer also has a Geforce, but I forget which model.

Well perhaps a pattern will emerge. I have not hit the problem since switching to a GeForce 760 from an older HD Radeon 6770. I was hoping that everyone with the problem would have the same brand of graphics card.

With only two people (but four graphics cards) reporting it seems not.

On 9/8/2017 at 7:23 AM, 76mm said:

Have you changed mice? And do you play full-screen or in some kind of windowed mode?