Air Strikes

It was interesting to me when I learned that there existed a "donut" of invulnerability to the enemy's ships. Closer in and they could penetrate the hull's armor. Further out and their shells would drop from above and penetrate the deck. It put the pre-battle maneuvering into a new context, going beyond the classic "crossing the T".

It was interesting to me when I learned that there existed a "donut" of invulnerability to the enemy's ships. Closer in and they could penetrate the hull's armor. Further out and their shells would drop from above and penetrate the deck. It put the pre-battle maneuvering into a new context, going beyond the classic "crossing the T".

Mmmmmmmm.....donut of invulnerability....

c3k,

The concept to which you refer is an immunity zone/Zone of Immunity. It varies depending upon the threat's weapon performance and one's own armor type, thickness and arrangement, not to mention own ship roll, pitch and yaw, which aren't calculated but can significantly alter the results. Here are excerpts of a Royal Navy Flag Officers Planning Guide from 1939.

http://www.admirals.org.uk/records/adm/adm239/adm239-268.php

The above is only relevant to air strikes if we look at air attacks vs armored warships, which are decidedly out of scope. I believe, though, that deck armor design was affected by the arrival of bombers on the scene, resulting in a far more complex set of ship vulnerability analyses.

Regards,

John Kettler

• 5 months later...
Steam and Iron is very good for WWI and earlier. The graphics are nothing to write home about, in fact when playing you could be forgiven for thinking you're back in the windows 3.1 days, but it is a long way better than some of the prettier looking games out there. Comes with a good campaign mode update too.

You can fight everything from small raider actions to the full Jutland battle. It has very decent AI and is well worth a look.

sorry for necroing! just wanna say thnx to Collingwood for mentioning this gem. It turns out to be quite enjoyable and a keeper, especially liking the campaign module it's got. I'm making some videos for it. http://youtu.be/yN_KxalN4F4

sorry for necroing! just wanna say thnx to Collingwood for mentioning this gem. It turns out to be quite enjoyable and a keeper, especially liking the campaign module it's got. I'm making some videos for it. http://youtu.be/yN_KxalN4F4

It is worth reading the aforementioned Castles of Steel to add quite a bit of immersion to what is going on in Steam and Iron (unless you are already a WW1 naval grog).