German Heer Uniform Mod

EZ

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks

Don’t Have CMRT so I can’t say if it works for that game. I have some drafts for Panzer Assault Infantry Uniforms and may make a Sumpfmuster 44 jacket for Heer but anything else is a maybe.

Rgr works in CMRT

EZ:

Thanks for your US and German Infantry uniform mods - you have a real knack for getting the most out of the uniform and gear textures!

I would love to see you take a swing at the SS and Fallschirmjager should you have the time and interest.

I have not ruled out doing them so maybe. I have been doing research on the different patterns so at some point I may jump all in and give it a go.

ez

Some comments:

1. Mixing Assault Infantry Badge (Infanterie Sturmabzeichen) and Panzer Assault Badge (Panzerkampfabzeichen) doesn’t seem right. The Panzer badge was awarded to Tank commanders, drivers, gunners and radio-operators who participated in three different armored assaults. From 1 June 1940 members of Panzergrenadier regiments got the Panzer badge in bronze while motorized infantry got the Infantry Assault badge in bronze.

Thought at first the Genenral Assault badge (Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen) was awarded for single-handed destruction of an enemy tank, from 9 March 1942 the special badge for single-handed destruction of a tank (Sonderabzeichen für das Niederkämpfen von Panzerkampfwagen durch Einzelkämpfer) was created and replaced the General Assault badge.

As a side note, the Allegemeines Sturmabzeichen was awarded if the soldier couldn’t qualify for the Infanterie-Sturmabzeichen, that is, if it was not an infantryman or Gebirsjäger.

As a rule you did not see two different assault badges worn at the same time. And wearing both the Infantry and Panzer badges was even rarer.

2. Don’t put any decoration on the pocket flap. I can’t remember seeing it on wartime pics. The only one I remember at this moment is the NSDAP Blood Order (Medaille zur Erinnerung an den 9. November 1923). If the Y-straps obscures a decoration, then live with it. It is what I did when I did he German uniforms for CMBN ;)

3. I haven’t seen any completely blackened WARTIME Y-strap. I can’t rule it our because everything was possible regarding German equipment and uniforms, but if it ever happened then it had been very rare.

4. The NCO with smock wear Officer’s Litzen.

I like everything else ;)

Some comments:

1. Mixing Assault Infantry Badge (Infanterie Sturmabzeichen) and Panzer Assault Badge (Panzerkampfabzeichen) doesn’t seem right. The Panzer badge was awarded to Tank commanders, drivers, gunners and radio-operators who participated in three different armored assaults. From 1 June 1940 members of Panzergrenadier regiments got the Panzer badge in bronze while motorized infantry got the Infantry Assault badge in bronze.

Thought at first the Genenral Assault badge (Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen) was awarded for single-handed destruction of an enemy tank, from 9 March 1942 the special badge for single-handed destruction of a tank (Sonderabzeichen für das Niederkämpfen von Panzerkampfwagen durch Einzelkämpfer) was created and replaced the General Assault badge.

As a side note, the Allegemeines Sturmabzeichen was awarded if the soldier couldn’t qualify for the Infanterie-Sturmabzeichen, that is, if it was not an infantryman or Gebirsjäger.

As a rule you did not see two different assault badges worn at the same time. And wearing both the Infantry and Panzer badges was even rarer.

2. Don’t put any decoration on the pocket flap. I can’t remember seeing it on wartime pics. The only one I remember at this moment is the NSDAP Blood Order (Medaille zur Erinnerung an den 9. November 1923). If the Y-straps obscures a decoration, then live with it. It is what I did when I did he German uniforms for CMBN ;)

3. I haven’t seen any completely blackened WARTIME Y-strap. I can’t rule it our because everything was possible regarding German equipment and uniforms, but if it ever happened then it had been very rare.

4. The NCO with smock wear Officer’s Litzen.

I like everything else ;)

I have a Infantry Assault Badge ( Infanterie Sturmabzeichen) in Silver from my Grandpa. He always told that it was awarded for participating in 6 Assault´s. You got the Gold Version for 9 Assaults.

I have a Infantry Assault Badge ( Infanterie Sturmabzeichen) in Silver from my Grandpa. He always told that it was awarded for participating in 6 Assault´s. You got the Gold Version for 9 Assaults.

I guess your are speaking of the Verwundeten-Abzeichen or Wound badge. It was awarded in black for 1 or 2 wounds, in silver for 3-4 wounds and gold for 5+ wounds. If the soldier got a severe wound (lost of a limb or eye-sight etc.) he got the silver version. If he became disabled, he got the gold version.

Regarding the Infanterie Sturmabzeichen and the Panzerkampfabzeichen it was a bit complicated:

Infanterie Sturmabzeichen:

1. In Silver for Infantry and Mountain Infantry. For three combats (assaults, counterattacks, armed reconaissance, etc.) on three different days.

2. In Bronze for Motorized Infantry. Same as silver version: three combats on three different days.

There was no version of the Infanterie-Sturmabzeichen in gold, nor the 25/50/75/100 Assaults ones.

Panzerkampfabzeichen

1. In silver for Panzer crews (Panzer commanders, drivers, gunners/loaders and radio-operators). For three armored assaults on three different days

2. In bronze for Panzergrenadiers (riding half tracks), medics riding a half track and armored car crews. Same as silver version: three assaults on three days.

There was also the Panzer Assault badge fo 25, 50, 75 and 100 (but not for infantry).

For Panzercrews:

25 /50 Assaults: Larger size than silver version. The Panzer was done in black while the wreath and eagle was done in silver. Awarded for 25 or 50 assaults. The number "25" or "50" was placed at the bottom.

75/100 Assaults: Larger size than silver version. Siver Panzer with wreath and eagle finished in gilt with number "75" or "100" at the bottom.

For Panzergrenadier, armored car crews etc.:

25/50 Assaults: Same as the badge done for Panzer crews but finished in bronze

75/100 Assaults: Same as the 75/100 Assault Panzer badge, but the Panzer was finished in bronze while the wreath and eagle was finished in gilt.

Just one badge was worn, always the higher grade one.

I guess your are speaking of the Verwundeten-Abzeichen or Wound badge. It was awarded in black for 1 or 2 wounds, in silver for 3-4 wounds and gold for 5+ wounds. If the soldier got a severe wound (lost of a limb or eye-sight etc.) he got the silver version. If he became disabled, he got the gold version.

Regarding the Infanterie Sturmabzeichen and the Panzerkampfabzeichen it was a bit complicated:

Infanterie Sturmabzeichen:

1. In Silver for Infantry and Mountain Infantry. For three combats (assaults, counterattacks, armed reconaissance, etc.) on three different days.

2. In Bronze for Motorized Infantry. Same as silver version: three combats on three different days.

There was no version of the Infanterie-Sturmabzeichen in gold, nor the 25/50/75/100 Assaults ones.

Panzerkampfabzeichen

1. In silver for Panzer crews (Panzer commanders, drivers, gunners/loaders and radio-operators). For three armored assaults on three different days

2. In bronze for Panzergrenadiers (riding half tracks), medics riding a half track and armored car crews. Same as silver version: three assaults on three days.

There was also the Panzer Assault badge fo 25, 50, 75 and 100 (but not for infantry).

For Panzercrews:

25 /50 Assaults: Larger size than silver version. The Panzer was done in black while the wreath and eagle was done in silver. Awarded for 25 or 50 assaults. The number "25" or "50" was placed at the bottom.

75/100 Assaults: Larger size than silver version. Siver Panzer with wreath and eagle finished in gilt with number "75" or "100" at the bottom.

For Panzergrenadier, armored car crews etc.:

25/50 Assaults: Same as the badge done for Panzer crews but finished in bronze

75/100 Assaults: Same as the 75/100 Assault Panzer badge, but the Panzer was finished in bronze while the wreath and eagle was finished in gilt.

Just one badge was worn, always the higher grade one.

No its definitely a Infanterie Sturmabzeichen

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infanterie-Sturmabzeichen

Its the version with the Eagle and swastika.

Maybe my Grandpa got something wrong but he always told me he got it for 6 Infantry assaults.

No its definitely a Infanterie Sturmabzeichen

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infanterie-Sturmabzeichen

Its the version with the Eagle and swastika.

Maybe my Grandpa got something wrong but he always told me he got it for 6 Infantry assaults.

The English wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infantry_Assault_Badge

The silver class was instituted on December 20, 1939 by the commander of the OKH, Walther von Brauchitsch, and was awarded to infantry soldiers according to one of the following criteria:

To have taken part in three or more infantry assaults.

To have taken part in three or more infantry counter-attacks.

To have taken part in three or more armed reconnaissance operations.

To have engaged in hand-to-hand combat in an assault position.

To have participated on three separate days in the restitution of combat positions.

Bronze

The bronze class was instituted on June 1, 1940. It was awarded to motorized/ Mechanized Infantry troops according to the following criteria:

To have taken part in three or more motorized infantry assaults.

To have taken part in three or more motorized infantry counter-attacks.

To have taken part in three or more motorized armed reconnaissance operations.

To have been engaged in hand-to-hand combat in motorized assault positions.

To have participated on three separate days in the restitution of a motorized combat position.

I took my info from:

Angolia, John R., "For Führer and Fatherland. Military Awards of the Third Reich", James Bender Publishing, 1989.

Btw it fully agrees with the wiki info.

Thanks,

Every now and then I learn something new and I have very little knowledge of german Awards. This last Mod still has some mistakes but will get fixed in next upload. I am still trying to hammer out some new shadow patterns and templates to give these guys some more detail. The Kriegsmarine Uniform shows some of that but still a WIP. Since Modders have no access to unwrap seam maps it takes some extra time.