RT Unofficial Screenshot Thread

3 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

"The camera never lies". But, photos can.

I'm not surprised but there are also some glaring errors regarding timelines of this action that are reproduced in numerous articles as everyone copies and pastes the one before. After checking and double checking there is a mix up with dates (from the source article) and a corresponding time compression. The accepted narrative misses out what appears to have be a night infiltration attack by the Soviets into Ogledow (which could be how they captured intact Tigers in the village as it does appear the 501st had limited infantry support attached) followed by a ding dong tank battle the following day (which is described but all compressed into one day).

13 hours ago, Falaise said:

ho , I'm sorry for the false joy I made you
I thought the article on the offensive Lvov_Sandomierz serious
I am interested in this battle because I go regularly in this region.

here is a scan of the magazine article page

190905092217300399.jpg

Hi @Falaise

That's cool you've been over there. Many thanks for the article, appreciate you sharing it thanks.

I had a read through the article but I think they have pulled info from another version of the original battlefield.ru account. There is some doubt that both ambushing T-34s were 85s Some accounts say only Oskin's T-34 was a 85, whilst the other (Ivushkin) was a T-34 76. I can't find any info (in English) to confirm or deny this. Although Battelfield.ru gives the Soviet tank strength in the AO as:

"It is worth mentioning that the Soviet 6th GTC did not have significant numerical superiority. Ready for the German assault were nine T-34-76's from the 53rd GTBr, and nine T-34-76's and ten T-34-85's from the 52nd GTBr. The 51st GTBr, positioned to the north, had eleven T-34-76's and four T-34-85's. At Staszów there were eleven JS-2 heavy tanks, and one JS-85 heavy tank from the 71st Independent Guards Heavy Tank Regiment."

The figure of 10 operational Tigers is disputed by Scheneider's evidence in 'Tigers in Combat' he says 8 operational.Might be my very rusty French but the date appears to be the 11th Aug - the famous ambush occurred on the 12th. The IS-122s (note this account says ISU-122 which is incorrect the unit was equipped with Josef Stalin tanks, JS-2 or JS-122 as the Soviet reports refer to them as  (link to translation of combat report of their side of this action). The JS tanks came into action on the 13th August when they moved into OGLEDOW (this appears to have occurred overnight/early morning of the 12/13th August).

The Germans then counterattack and are engaged by the JS-2 tanks. Accounts (see Soviet AAR) state the Soviet heavy tank unit lost  3 x JS-destroyed and 7 damaged (although 3 were soon back in action). The Soviet reports state they KO'd 4 King Tigers (Ref above report and battlefield.ru account). I can't verify the German losses as Schneider for the 13th August only states one Tiger captured (Red 002 or 502 - there is a whole debate over the numbering!) and "heavy fighting and further losses". If you find yourself in and around Ogledow I think they are looking to create a wee museum commemorating this action. Might be worth checking out (assuming it's a reality now). Thanks for your interest and taking the time to post the photo and the article. Its a fascinating armoured action and I'm enjoying digging up info as much as creating the scenario in CM!

Cheery!

On 9/5/2019 at 11:43 AM, George MC said:

It's still a work in progress. Very early days yet as I'm still checking OOBs, TOEs and then will have AI plans etc to do. This was a rough playtest to test some theories I've found on-line regarding the location of the ambushing Soviet armour.

ok , i tjust want look map it self moustly , sou that i can learn better to do my own maps. 

10 hours ago, Macisle said:

Hot crossing!

hot_crossing.thumb.jpg.124453bd3acfe252fb83ed84862a35fa.jpg

How is it that I am seeing straight through the Panther? I should be seeing the back side of the turret face.

EgjXpsi.jpg

Damn, he got shot up GOOD! How many survivors?

Mord.

Edited by Mord

5 minutes ago, Mord said:

How is it that I am seeing straight through the Panther? I should be seeing the back side of the turret face.

EgjXpsi.jpg

Damn, he got shot up GOOD! How many survivors?

Mord.

Two, but they got gunned down right away. My infantry (DC & AT grenade) distracted the Panther, while several friendly tanks rounded the corner and sunk their teeth in. It cost a lot of blood taking the building that gave me access to the door next to the Panther, though. A second Panther holed the dead T-34 you see in the background. I thought the spot where I parked was out of his LOS, but it wasn't. 

I think those are the internals of the tank you're seeing through the hatch. I'll check.

On 9/5/2019 at 10:43 AM, George MC said:

It's still a work in progress. Very early days yet as I'm still checking OOBs, TOEs and then will have AI plans etc to do. This was a rough playtest to test some theories I've found on-line regarding the location of the ambushing Soviet armour.

There is this already: https://www.thefewgoodmen.com/tsd3/cm-red-thunder/cm-red-thunder-add-ons-scenarios/delaying-action-at-ogledow-redux/

Played it long time ago H2H and it was good. But nothing beats the @George MC treatment :)

@Macisle

LMAO! What are the odds you'd kill that tank and it would bail in that exact spot where the right hand inside of the turret would line up and look like a door or window on the opposite building? LOL. Man.

Good story about the knock-out btw. It's what makes this game shine above all others.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

1 minute ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

As I've said before, your map is among my top 'CM Wants'.....I've a couple of ideas for using it in CM:BS.  ;)

I think you could pull about 10 QB maps out of it, so it should offer A LOT of play value. The level of detail I'm doing feels like it really ups the sim aspect. I'm kicking the tires for the first time on part of the most built-up area of the map and I'm liking the play a lot. Makes me think of the Germans at Arnhem when they decided to just bring in the tanks and level the buildings section by section, rather than burn up their infantry trying to clear them. I've had a couple of instances where I prepped the building pretty well with ordnance or inf FT and still had some survivors take out a painful amount of my guys when they went in. I've dropped some building sections, rather than keep spending the infantry. I kid you not, I had a hidden surviving schreck team take out NINE of my guys point blank and only one of those was with the schreck. The rest were with a pistol and rifle. They must have been a crack team. An LMG team managed to avoid damage from an indirect FT prep attack and kill half and assaulting SMG squad point blank.

Tons and tons of situations that could have come out of a war diary.

Anyhoo, dying to show more, but I'll keep it under my hat for now. The master being finished is in sight, though. Still tons work to do on the project before release, but in terms of the buildings, I only have four blocks left to configure the internals and textures for. I do need to go back and improve some areas. I've learned a lot as I've gone and some of the earlier areas that were "done" don't seem done to me anymore. I want to apply the new techniques I've picked up along the way.  Won't let perfection ruin good though. For RL, I need to put a fork in 'er and get 'er out as soon as I can.

1 hour ago, Mord said:

@Macisle

LMAO! What are the odds you'd kill that tank and it would bail in that exact spot where the right hand inside of the turret would line up and look like a door or window on the opposite building? LOL. Man.

Good story about the knock-out btw. It's what makes this game shine above all others.

Mord.

It does look like that at first glance. I think my mind registered the same thing, IIRC. 

Yeah, distract and swarm was the only way to get that Panther and open up an avenue of approach to the main objective. CM being the ultimate balance of game and sim is what keeps me coming back for more.

22 minutes ago, Macisle said:

I've dropped some building sections, rather than keep spending the infantry. I kid you not, I had a hidden surviving schreck team take out NINE of my guys point blank and only one of those was with the schreck. The rest were with a pistol and rifle.

This what I've come to think of as the 'Mosul Dilemma'.....It's what I was aiming for in 'Ashsh Al Dababir'

3 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

This what I've come to think of as the 'Mosul Dilemma'.....It's what I was aiming for in 'Ashsh Al Dababir'

I wish I could see your work and the famous urban map by Rinaldi, but I'm pretty much a WWII-only guy. I do have CM:BS, but seldom fire it up, other than to check something in the Editor.

To my great satisfaction, attempting to push as far as I can to the sim side with urban map design is showing that the current CM engine can handle it quite well overall. Sure, there are rough edges (please BF, when a building section collapses, make the formerly connected walls of surviving sections change to damaged walls) and occasional suicidal rout is still a thing (no matter how much safe cover is only 8 meters away 😮), but...

it's pretty darn good!

Will not be everyone's cup of tea, though. The price of pushing the sim side so far in urban combat is that the player has to be given tons of time and must use it to go as slow and detailed in play as the game system will allow.  But for those players that dig it, man, the payoff is GOOD.

8 hours ago, rocketman said:

There is this already: https://www.thefewgoodmen.com/tsd3/cm-red-thunder/cm-red-thunder-add-ons-scenarios/delaying-action-at-ogledow-redux/

Played it long time ago H2H and it was good. But nothing beats the @George MC treatment :)

Aye mines is very different. Thx for the kind words. Hope it lives up to your expectations :) The scenario map is based on the real life terrain. Map itself is around 4km X 3km map excerpt below bit larger (shave off 500m top and bottom) than actual CM map but give an idea of sector covered. 

This may morph into a mini campaign based on the whole map. 

The Rakow map I’ve done (for another scenario) covers another action just up river during the same offensive  

S2HaANn.jpg

Edited by George MC

5 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Pretty sure the map you are thinking of is by @LongLeftFlank:

Ha! "by Rinaldi" 🤪. Classic. I was fighting sleep when I typed that and -- it shows! (Here Mord, hold my beer...) 😁

Thanks for the link. I've seen a few screenshots before, but haven't read the thread or seen the map live. A true masterpiece! I should read the thread at least to hunt for goodies. I just did a quick scan and saw some of the the great work he did with flavor objects. CMRT seems to be a little on the sparse side FO-wise. I'm debating how far I can/should go with those (how much do they impact frame rates I wonder?). I've put in a few so far, but am saving the main work for the end. Prolly dump one of every kind into a park area and then copy-paste as needed around the map.

Tedious work. But still nothing compared to my least favorite job: elevation polishing. I've still got another, final round of that to do at the end. Balancing the sprawling connected buildings with an attempt to stay as true to the RL elevations as I can has been a challenge. If one has to give, it is the elevations, as they largely serve as flavor. The buildings are more important in establishing the tactical dynamics. Still, there are some interesting elevation twists here and there that are not easily noticeable when zoomed out.

Speaking of tactical dynamics, I think I overstated the slow pace required. There is a lot of variation in the terrain density/building complexity on different parts of the map. There is also a huge difference between being tasked with say, general block clearing, versus cutting a path to a single or small number of key objectives. Using slice choice and mission goals, players can enjoy a wide range of play dynamics.

For my missions, I'll probably try to keep things as dynamic as possible. So, like with my current play test, the attacker will have a small number of objectives (one in my case) and a pretty large area to move around in. So, he can bounce off defense points, sift the intel and then decide where to push his attack. Then, if repulsed, he will likely have time to try something else at least once. The defending German player will need to use the terrain to create mutually supporting hard points while, if at all possible, maintaining a fire brigade for temporary local support and/or counterattacks.

The attacker will generally be fielding two companies of infantry at a time, plus a combat engineer platoon and generous, but not crazy armor support. Of that, it is expected that the attacker will be largely keeping his platoons two-up, one back. So, that's roughly 4-5 infantry platoons in play most of the time with MG and armor support (oh, and arty, BIG arty -- but careful with that Soviet FO, 'cause if he buys it... 😭). 4-hour battles will be in roughly two phases, with the first battalion handing things over to the incoming second battalion at half-time. First battalion remnants will then serve as defense units on first phase objectives (and yes, the German might be in a position to threaten those with a local CA). Right now, I might keep the third company of each battalion out of the field for the day. We'll see when other players start testing things. Given the time investment that the scenarios will require, players might want those third companies to keep them in the fight if they make some bad mistakes early on.

I may do one block-clearing scenario, though. Maybe the first one, actually. That area is mostly lower-level, with a few key big boys building-wise, and is the smallest slice planned. Since it depicts the Soviets establishing a first bridgehead with no river crossings, it might be good to have them clear more thoroughly than in the other, larger and more free-wheeling battles.

We'll see.🙂