RT Unofficial Screenshot Thread

12 minutes ago, Trooper117 said:

Great pics!

Thanks!

Towards the end of the summer, I'll be updating my map thread. Lots of progress in recent weeks, but still a lot of building door/window configuration and elevation polishing to finish. I may post the occasional screenies, but don't want to give too much away. Things are going well, though.

On 7/28/2019 at 8:58 AM, Macisle said:

IIRC, that's a uniform mod by Ben Park. Kind of a grab bag of Soviet uniforms from the war. Wouldn't normally be mixed so much across the soldiers like in the mod, but I quite like it.

Do you happen to have a link? Can't find it nowhere.

7 hours ago, Frenchy56 said:

Do you happen to have a link? Can't find it nowhere.

Oops. I was wrong on the grab bag thing. I've been using these for ages and forgot. For Soviet uniforms, I used two mods together. The base is "russian_uniform_made_by_t34577685" and the camo is "benpark Soviet Camo" which adds four camo patterns. Generally, one or two guys in a squad get one of the camo patterns, while the rest get standard from the first mod. Both mods are beautiful work. Oh, yeah, and the Aris dirty faces mod completes the effect. Love it!

I don't have any links, but if you can't find them, PM me with your email address and I can send you the files.

"Two and torch!"   The FT teams stay in safety and let their flames penetrate sixteen meters into the enemy's hidden position. Judging by the screams, that area is now clear. The hardpoint as a whole however, is not. More scouting will be required, and likely, more blood.

Kharkiveskya_NE_080219_1.thumb.jpg.a62ff4e2734c176ee932058f3e0c6192.jpg

Meanwhile, a different chokepoint has been reduced and Soviet forces move forward.

Kharkiveskya_NE_080219_2.thumb.jpg.58d21b1e7bab5305b29e1eed5495de8c.jpg

"Advance!"

Kharkiveskya_NE_080219_3.thumb.jpg.745ec4a039b64ec72b864c340c416396.jpg

A German squad covers a street from a key defensive position. Soviet AFVs have knocked out walls and sections of the building with indirect area fire, but AT threats prevent them from obtaining effective direct fire positions.

Kharkiveskya_NE_080519_1.thumb.jpg.4dfd5f56159f340d827ea64a59ec9d90.jpg

Soviet infantry exchanges small arms fire from down the street, but cannot achieve fire superiority from the available safe positions.  Until this German anchor position is neutralized, Soviet infantry cannot advance. The Soviets do, however, occupy a third of the building. An earlier attempt to push further inside was made, but crushed by unknown defenders in the middle section.

Kharkiveskya_NE_080519_2.thumb.jpg.58a21db342d683c12346a68eda1bf74d.jpg

Sappers were deployed in the hopes of blowing the blind rear wall of the anchor point. However, the general area has been too hot for them to move forward. SMG troops have only just managed to clear keyhole ambushers covering the rear approach. However, the unknown threat of the middle building section defenders remains. A scout team is sent forward to sniff out the status of the middle section.

Kharkiveskya_NE_080519_3.thumb.jpg.1ec4f3c6a180b90bd2714c8126ce0ce5.jpg

The blind wall prevents the anchor point squad from becoming aware of the emerging danger behind them.

Kharkiveskya_NE_080519_4.thumb.jpg.e0cce94f0d236ec29b3560f5223523f9.jpg

Suddenly, all hell breaks loose as the scout team finds the middle defenders -- an HMG team!

Kharkiveskya_NE_080519_5.thumb.jpg.4c27e7354a2847b2b4cd6ba7a99d019c.jpg

The battle is fierce, but short, with SMG overwatch preventing the scouts from being overwhelmed. There are no friendly casualties. The sappers are now clear to move up and get to work!

Kharkiveskya_NE_080519_6.thumb.jpg.eb384f76e0ecce99a3900dc8cab73663.jpg

Edited by Macisle

52 minutes ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Wait a minute! Wait a minute! Waffen SS, Russian soldiers with camo uniforms...Those are screenshots from the new module, aren't they?😛

Not sure perhaps also a old Mod from Ez or another modders. I think from couple of month I saw somes pic from a Soviet uniform with some strange camo ... I will make some research !! ??

Edited by 3j2m7

2 hours ago, 3j2m7 said:

Not sure perhaps also a old Mod from Ez or another modders. I think from couple of month I saw somes pic from a Soviet uniform with some strange camo ... I will make some research !! ??

Yes. please make some research, my friend.  BF can be rather sneaky with regard to screenshots though. 😀

5 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Wait a minute! Wait a minute! Waffen SS, Russian soldiers with camo uniforms...Those are screenshots from the new module, aren't they?😛

That's Vein's Totenkopf mod for the Germans and Ben Park's camo mod for the Russians. The map is mine and not related to any official CM stuff.

So, no indirect leaks from BF. However,  if you go about halfway down page 50 of this thread, you'll see a bird's eye showing a large amount of my Kharkiveskya master map. The screens I've been posting are from some testing I'm doing on it.

1 hour ago, Macisle said:

That's Vein's Totenkopf mod for the Germans and Ben Park's camo mod for the Russians. The map is mine and not related to any official CM stuff.

So, no indirect leaks from BF. However,  if you go about halfway down page 50 of this thread, you'll see a bird's eye showing a large amount of my Kharkiveskya master map. The screens I've been posting are from some testing I'm doing on it.

Okay, false alarm, folks, false alarm. Sorry about that.

2 hours ago, Macisle said:

Thank you. Great stuff. Really looking forward to the end of this year.

• 4 weeks later...

Been spending the past few months working on a map of the village and surrounding area of Ogledow. Some of you will recognise the name as being the small Polish village where three Tiger IIs from the German 501st Heavy Tank Battalion were ambushed by T-34s from 53rd Guard Tank Brigade and destroyed in August 1944 . A very inauspicious start to their combat debut on the Eastern Front. There are multiple versions describing this engagement - the ambush being part of a longer and more sprawling armoured action - but this LINK has one of the more detailed based on Soviet primary sources (interestingly whilst researching this there is very little info about this action from the German perspective - both Jentz and Schneider have very little mention in their books about the Tiger IIs and their units).

Zoomed out overview of the scenario map below - OGLEDOW is the large village in the rear background.

HtcMnbm.jpg

Below, the view NW towards OGLEDOW from 53rd Guards Tank Brigade positions. The German 501st Tigers made their ill fated advance at the right hand background along a dirt track. The Soviet T-34s were camouflaged in a field to the RHS background.

3b8o7ZH.jpg

Image below is the view S along the route the initial German advance took. The three Tiger IIs drove along this dirt track which runs along the spine of a ridge. Looking at the 3D map and period maps you can see why they attacked here - the lower valley to the right has a small stream running the length - I'm assuming the bridges crossing this would not support a 68 ton Tiger II  as they likely be light wooden bridges. To the left is the Czarna River across which is some hilly wooded terrain allowing flanking fire for anything moving along the main road to Szyldów

hQo6apj.jpg

On August 13th, at 07:00 a.m. under the cover of the mist, the Germans started to advance on the unnamed hill with eleven King Tigers and a few armored personnel carriers with infantry.
Ivushkin's voice was heard on the radio: "The tanks are gone. I can't see them, but I can hear them. They are moving through the valley."
This is how the commander of the 53rd GTBr described the battle:

"An enormous tank crawled from within the valley. It was jerkily climbing up and swerving on the sand. From the left flank, Major Korobov exclaimed on the radio: - They're coming!
I replied:
- Be patient! Open fire from 400 metres only!
Behind the first tank, the second beast came from the valley, and soon the third tank appeared. The first had already passed Ivyshkin's ambush position.

oEZDWbV.jpg

- Fire? - he asked.

- Fire! I saw a part of the haystack over Oskin's tank move, and the gun barrel appeared. It fired, and then again and again: Oskin had commenced the battle. Through my binoculars, I could see black holes in the sides of the German tanks. At first I saw only smoke, but then I saw flames. The third tank turned to Oskin, but it was immobilized after it received a hit in its tracks, and then it was hit again for good.

accVgSZ.jpg

yRxWvPy.jpg

4OGeL5W.jpg

UtWmZdo.jpg

In this ambush two of the Tiger IIs hit by Oskin's T-34/85 suffered catastrophic ammunition fires causing many crew fatalities. In some follow up accounts of this action reference is made to the crews storing additional ammo within or on the turret floor which made the tanks more prone to ammo fires, with a subsequent order banning them from doing so, although it reduced the Tiger II's ammo loadout (Ref Schneider Tigers in Combat I page 46). There is also strong evidence that the battalion performed very poorly and subsequently took heavy casualties due to poor handling and tactics. Due to this poor combat performance the 501st battalion commander - Major von Legat - was relieved, and I've read, was also implicated in the 20 July plot to assassinate Hitler which may also have contributed to his being relieved of command. He was replaced by Major Saemisch who was KIA during counter attacks the following January to disrupt the Soviet Vistula–Oder Offensive. These also did not end well for the unit. Overall though the 501st HTB does appear to have have a less than stellar combat career during its formation - dating back to its first combat with Tiger Is. It lost the 501st designation in December 1944 and was renamed the 424th Heavy Tank Battalion. 

Edited by George MC

19 hours ago, George MC said:

On August 13th, at 07:00 a.m. under the cover of the mist, the Germans started to advance on the unnamed hill with eleven King Tigers and a few armored personnel carriers with infantry.
Ivushkin's voice was heard on the radio: "The tanks are gone. I can't see them, but I can hear them. They are moving through the valley."
This is how the commander of the 53rd GTBr described the battle:

"An enormous tank crawled from within the valley. It was jerkily climbing up and swerving on the sand. From the left flank, Major Korobov exclaimed on the radio: - They're coming!
I replied:
- Be patient! Open fire from 400 metres only!
Behind the first tank, the second beast came from the valley, and soon the third tank appeared. The first had already passed Ivyshkin's ambush position.

oEZDWbV.jpg

- Fire? - he asked.

- Fire! I saw a part of the haystack over Oskin's tank move, and the gun barrel appeared. It fired, and then again and again: Oskin had commenced the battle. Through my binoculars, I could see black holes in the sides of the German tanks. At first I saw only smoke, but then I saw flames. The third tank turned to Oskin, but it was immobilized after it received a hit in its tracks, and then it was hit again for good.

accVgSZ.jpg

yRxWvPy.jpg

4OGeL5W.jpg

UtWmZdo.jpg

In this ambush two of the Tiger IIs hit by Oskin's T-34/85 suffered catastrophic ammunition fires causing many crew fatalities. In some follow up accounts of this action reference is made to the crews storing additional ammo within or on the turret floor which made the tanks more prone to ammo fires, with a subsequent order banning them from doing so, although it reduced the Tiger II's ammo loadout (Ref Schneider Tigers in Combat I page 46). There is also strong evidence that the battalion performed very poorly and subsequently took heavy casualties due to poor handling and tactics. Due to this poor combat performance the 501st battalion commander - Major von Legat - was relieved, and I've read, was also implicated in the 20 July plot to assassinate Hitler which may also have contributed to his being relieved of command. He was replaced by Major Saemisch who was KIA during counter attacks the following January to disrupt the Soviet Vistula–Oder Offensive. These also did not end well for the unit. Overall though the 501st HTB does appear to have have a less than stellar combat career during its formation - dating back to its first combat with Tiger Is. It lost the 501st designation in December 1944 and was renamed the 424th Heavy Tank Battalion. 

can i find this map or scenario some where ? 

10 hours ago, Falaise said:

I love it
although of poor quality this picture less usual than the classic photos of this battle shows 2 of the 3 tanks destroyed in the ambush of 13 August

190904114600937296.jpg

That's an excellent shot thanks. I've not seen that one.

If it is from this event then it's super interesting as it confirms the position of the ambushing Soviet tanks and ties in with the CO of 53rd GTb account. I saw some stuff which suggested the ambushing tanks were off to the Tigers left and concealed in the vicinity of a balka. This disproves that theory and defo places the T-34s in a field (or around/close to the farm buildings on that track exiting Ogledow).

I'll check the aerial image as that stand of trees should serve as a spottbale landmark which would help support the veracity of the image, or not. I've read so much stuff that appears to be copy and paste from earlier stuff repeating the same errors and versions of events that I'm bit cautious about anything to do with this now :)

2 hours ago, snarre said:

can i find this map or scenario some where ? 

It's still a work in progress. Very early days yet as I'm still checking OOBs, TOEs and then will have AI plans etc to do. This was a rough playtest to test some theories I've found on-line regarding the location of the ambushing Soviet armour.

3 minutes ago, George MC said:

That's an excellent shot thanks. I've not seen that one.

If it is from this event then it's super interesting as it confirms the position of the ambushing Soviet tanks and ties in with the CO of 53rd GTb account. I saw some stuff which suggested the ambushing tanks were off to the Tigers left and concealed in the vicinity of a balka. This disproves that theory and defo places the T-34s in a field (or around/close to the farm buildings on that track exiting Ogledow).

I'll check the aerial image as that stand of trees should serve as a spottbale landmark which would help support the veracity of the image, or not. I've read so much stuff that appears to be copy and paste from earlier stuff repeating the same errors and versions of events that I'm bit cautious about anything to do with this now :)

@Falaise I just did a reverse image search, and it threw up the same image but uncropped.

CyrvxHMUQAA8eQk.jpg:small

Re this image, as we say in Scotland - "Ah noo hae ma doots!"

This appears to show what looks like a tent(?) in the background and several crew chatting. I've also noticed that the guns of the Tigers appear to have muzzle covers - if KOd that would be odd.

Checking back through my accounts one account mentions catastrophic ammo fires that saw the tanks explode and pop their turrets. On balance I'm now not convinced this image shows what it purports to show - two of the KOd Tigers from Ogledow.

Be useful if you have the source for this please as doing the reverse image search it just throws up a lot of flickr accounts and such like?