RT Unofficial Screenshot Thread

9 hours ago, Erwin said:

Nice pic.  Like it when I have teams of one or two guys.  Looks a lot better than when one has a team of 5-7 grouped around.

Thanks, Erwin.

This guy was part of an AI team, but the only one visible.  Yes, small teams can be very useful. Hopefully, we will be able to make custom teams some day. It would be great to have complete flexibility as to the assigned number of men, teams and weapon distribution you could get out of a squad.

Edited by Macisle

I keep mentioning a new ACQUIRE process is needed where units adjacent to each other could swap ammo (with some limitations and with a time delay). 

The current process of splitting a squad so a team can mount a vehicle, then ACQUIRE, then dismount and then sit around to recombine with its squad is ridiculously cumbersome.

Not sure I'd agree, the Acquire process is instantaneous, so the re-merging of the squads etc. serves well to model the time it would actually take to pass ammo around IMHO.....There are other things that might improve the games more IMHO, like AI 'Don't Go Here (While Moving In This Order) Markers' as suggested by LLF in the Ramadi thread.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Hadn't been over here (this thread) in a long time. Clearly, I've been missing out!  My memory being what it is (okay, mostly isn't), I decided to go back to the beginning. Have to say I love the way this game looks, simultaneously sere and beautiful. This was reinforced by having seen Sergei Bondarchuk's superb "They Fought for the Motherland" not long ago. You can practically feel and smell the environment.   Viewing all the wonderful Eastern Front armor (used to own a painted and motorized Tamiya 1/35th scale SU-100), both stock and with Fuser and others' work, is a joy, especially for someone who used to build model tanks and has some appreciation of how much work doing camo painting is. The in-game results look way better than most of the tank models I saw in various IPMS events during my high school days. Watching the various videos (the StuH-42 clobbering the IS-2 being particularly memorable from the high unlikelihood of success and the hulking Pak-43, for the sheer novelty of it for a man whose biggest ATG was a Pak-40; another standout was the instant charnel house when an infantry laden Pz IV/H got hit by an IS-2 and exploded) was great, until I unwittingly got sucked down Togi's him vs Daisy (a real, rarer than a unicorn female?) superbly done annotated turn by turn playlist. Was viewing it after being up all night, and it took awhile to realize that was what was happening, since I was watching here, not YT. Though it's ancient (2014), and CMRT is much better and richly featured now, I find it engrossing and am now up to the barely begun Turn 9. Really makes me want the game, which really looks great but, sad, to say, it would only wind up in the same state as the unused folders of CMBS and the full CMBN, for I'm simply not functioning well enough presently in the specific cognitive areas needed to play CM and haven't been for some time. Speaking of Togi, I watched his Panther TC, a sad man who seemed to simultaneously have an urgent need for a latrine, a nervous condition and was on speed. The guy, in a tank on fairly smooth terrain and swaying a bit at best was moving back and forth in the open cupola at such a clip it was hurting my head, since it was precisely the kind of video I'm not supposed to watch following my brain injury. Don't know what caused it, but the videos showing it are readily available. I recall nothing of the sort happening in CMBN, but this may've been long since identified and fixed.

All in all, this is a most worthwhile thread, and I'm glad I dropped in--even if I'm not seen again after being sucked into the screenshot and video vortex!

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

Oh dear! I seem to have forgotten the dire fate of the Landser-laden Panther in Nelson 1812's video. What a horrific sight! Seems to me that might result in something akin to the typical Hollywood treatment of explosion vs people, what with the hull deck and such being between the explosion proper and the men. Am not sure how much FX magic I'm seeing in many of the screenshots, and I find myself wondering how many of them were done. In any event, the atmospherics in this game are simply astounding and greatly add to the experience, both as viewer and doubtless as players. In other news, watching togi's turn 9, I fear I'm developing a bad case of CMIS (Combat Mission Inadequacy Syndrome), since he seems to be handling his troops like Pablo Casals played his cello. Remarkable to behold. He really knows how to command, though I think his brass in the Kubels lack the other kind, since last I checked, those guys weren't even in the village.

Regards,

John Kettler 

Edited by John Kettler

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 5:08 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Not sure I'd agree, the Acquire process is instantaneous, so the re-merging of the squads etc. serves well to model the time it would actually take to pass ammo around IMHO.....There are other things that might improve the games more IMHO, like AI 'Don't Go Here (While Moving In This Order) Markers' as suggested by LLF in the Ramadi thread.

If you actually read my post, I said and have always said there should be a "time delay".  The point is that the current ACQUIRE system is very cumbersome, requires many clicks and wastes time that could be spent on fun stuff like tactical decisions.

togi,

Was rolling smartly through the next several episodes 10-12 of your QB Daisy v togisan when I ran out of episodes. Say it isn't so! I really want to see what happened after that, but there's apparently nothing to to watch. What happened, please? It's been a pleasure to watch you plan your battle, handle your men and fight what looks to be your fight, rather than the foe's.

Regards,

John Kettler

Vein,

Your third pic on Page 10 may be one of, if not the best, screenshots I've ever seen. It's exciting, dramatic, intense, brooding and screams danger, because the burning SAU may explode at any time. The visuals, from a painterly perspective, are rich, complex and range from subtle to very strong. Done well, this would be an award-winning diorama in a model building/model soldier competition.

Macisle, 

The near T-34 in your scene on Page 10 is entrancing. The elements come together perfectly to portray a Russian tank at war. The slogans hugely add to the feel of the shot. If you want a really punchy image, may I suggest cropping the image on the right side just in front of the second tank's mud guard. Is your Russian armor stock? If not, whose fabulous mod/s are you using?

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

Jack Ration,

Sergeant Tarnovsky did the Red Army proud with his stellar performance, but even legendarily tough Russians, last I checked, couldn't stand and shoulder fire the enormous and heavy ATR. Further noticed his ammo laden loader was nowhere to be seen, either. That one man can carry the weapon I do not dispute, but what's good on march is battlefield suicide.

stroy-ptr.jpg

Image Credit: Russian wartime photgraph via War Is Over (www.wio.ru)

This is the proper battlefield carry technique.

6785976243_3f0e5596f9_b.jpg

Image Credit: The Adventurous Eye via Flickr

Believe BFC needs to look into these issues. And while it's doing so, I'd suggest BFC tweak the AI for Russian crews bailing out, but it's not going to make the owning players happy. You see, the Combat Regulations require the crew of the disabled or dead tank remain with it. Per HSU Dmitry Loza, who had to do this and  and knew others who also had to, this meant getting under the usually burning tank, with their lives on the line if the ammo exploded! This was all too common an outcome. The Emcha was much loved in part because it was far less likely to do so. The account of this potentially fatal regulation is in both his Fighting for the Soviet Motherland: Recollections from the Eastern Front and in his interview with Artem Drabkin.

Regards,

John Kettler

Frankster65,

In your "The Passage" video I noted something remarkable. The T-34/76 rolls onto the field with a full load of tankodesantniki. The tank halts, and the men jump off, with half their bodies clearly visible. An instant later, they've completely vanished without a trace. They are there in one frame and gone the next. Replayed the segment three times to make sure. A truly novel casualty avoidance method! Believe BFC ought to take a look at this.

Oddball_E8,

Really enjoyed your video Tigers vs T-34s. Was very surprised to see the T-34s seemingly shrug off what looked to me, given the range, should've been sure penetrations. The Tigers were gorgeous. Presumably, they're not stock, right? Was fun to watch how they were handled. Noticed very good use of hull down positions on ridge and was surprised to see one kill for, I thought, want of proper orientation relative to threat positions. Some angling right might've saved the tank. Liked the stick and move tactics, but the final push into the town had my heart in my mouth. 122 mm Carnage was a textbook demonstration of what happens when the projectile grossly overmatches the armor, though I'm puzzled by neither of the APHE shells detonated inside the tank, not that it mattered ultimately. Am glad you provided the Russian view for it explained how two shots rang out in rapid succession. 

GhostRider3/3,

The Tiger 1 was essentially hand built, at the whopping rate of 25 per month. Here is a site which has a wealth of material on the tiger 1, including costs vs other AFVs, production history, specs, loads of material on manufacturing and much more.

http://www.alanhamby.com/history.shtml

togi,

Not surprised at all that a 45 mm ATG could kill a StuG III from the flank. I found it fascinating to watch as round after round was pumped into the AFV, marked not just by the various hit reports but by an ever growing collection of holes in the armor skirt! Your CMBN teleport showed nicely why bocage fighting was so grim.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

sburke,

Regarding below pic, had the desantniki actually not been wiped out, I think they would have bee combat ineffective, for I see no rifles or other weapons. Maybe it's a shadow is TankRiders001_zpsc45e18f7.jpg 

sue, but the soldiers being apparently weaponless is how my eyes are reading the image.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

• 3 weeks later...

It's not CMRT screenshot, but worth seeing. 

It's video of test before Victory Day's parade in some Russian city. Not only we can see  some running  Russian pre-war and early-war tanks (that I would love to see in CMx4 some day) but they move so slow that the engine and track sounds are quite unusual :) I never seen tanks going so slow with so low engine rpm !

How loud those tracks are !

Edited by Amizaur

• 3 weeks later...