RT Unofficial Screenshot Thread

• 3 weeks later...

An Assault, somewhere in Lithuania.

2ik402a.jpg

Kolya lies in the high grass.  He is barely breathing.  Shells and explosions are going off everywhere.  A nearby tank is belching smoke and fire.  The Facisti are defending some village that has no meaning to anyone except some big boss in a safe headquarters far from all this smoke, fire, and death.

His head hurts – the bandage feels awkward and the right side of his face is swollen and crusted with dried blood.  He was grazed by a bullet several days ago.  The wound wasn’t bad enough to send him to an aid station.  He had half his head wrapped in bandages by that clumsy oaf Bodenkin, who pretends to be a medic but is actually a veterinarian.

The waiting feels like a huge animal, crushing him into the dirt.  He has to fight to breathe.  Someone said they are in Lithuania now, but he has no idea where that might be.  Far from his little village, that’s for sure.

Kolya is sure the assault will start soon.  The waiting, the horrible anticipation…it is almost too much to bear.

14eb145.jpg

Off to the right, Senior Sergeant Sirovski shouts…the signal to attack.  Instinctively he leaps to his feet and begins to charge into the smoke.  He hears the roar of his fellow squad mates, some screaming “Uraaah, Uraaah!”  He does not yell.  He is silent.  He doesn’t want to attract any more attention to himself than necessary.

How he ended up leading the charge is a mystery.  He suddenly realizes that he and the others are blindly charging towards unknown enemy positions.  There was no time for any briefing and besides that, the Senior Sergeant doesn’t waste time on words or instructions.  He just yells and points and then everyone runs, screaming, usually into sudden death, if lucky.

25fj88g.jpg

Kolya makes it into the shade of the trees.  It is almost dark to his eyes, sensitized to the glare of the sun.  The blazing sun is blotted out and the oppressive heat is replaced by shade that drops the temperature by many degrees.  It feels pleasant, but Kolya knows it will be momentary.  His uniform is soaked with sweat and he can feel the blood in his head pounding so loudly against his wound that it is making it hard to hear.  He cuts to the right on a small road and sees a little house through a break in the trees.  Several of his fellow soldiers are right behind him, panting loudly from all that yelling earlier. 

11ht16b.jpg

He is passed by Pyotr as they emerge from the shade.  He is momentarily blinded by the glare.  Pyotr is such an ass-kisser, the sergeant’s favorite.  No doubt he is trying to be the fastest in the assault to impress Sergeant Sirovski.  To Kolya’s left, he sees Motya has peeled off and is making a more direct charge through the yard.   Motion to his right tells him more soldiers are charging along with him. 

2l8dlac.jpg

A blizzard of enemy bullets whips past Kolya.  Pyotr makes an odd sound, like he’s been punched in the gut, but Kolya sees the fine blood spray from Pyotr’s back – the man goes down hard.  Kolya is suddenly aware that if he had been leading the charge, the bullets would have ripped into him.  What a way to impress the Sergeant, thinks Kolya, as he leaps over Pyotr’s body.

2vaobyr.jpg

Kolya has squared off the distance, preferring to run around the fence, but he sees Motya has taken the more direct approach and will make the house before he does.  Motya must have crashed right through the fence, but Kolya didn’t hear it as the blood is pounding too hard in his head.

8vukv7.jpg

More rounds rip past Kolya.  His luck is holding out but he is using a lot of it up on this one attack.  He figures he will run out soon, and he hopes he dies quickly, not thrashing around in the dirt like Mishka, three days ago, screaming as blood sprayed out of every wound in his chest.  Or, Grigori dumbly trying to stuff his intestines back into his gut after a piece of shrapnel tore him open.  He keeps running but he is gripping his machine gun tighter.  Motya passes him up in the charge.

124d28p.jpg

A sudden burst of gunfire rips into Motya.  He manages a gargled scream as he topples backward.  I’m in the lead again, thinks Kolya.  Just great!  I’ll be the next to die.

nn0flz.jpg

And there he is!  Kolya now sees the German, close up.  The man is not firing and Kolya can see why.  The German is reloading his weapon.  It is a race to death now.  One of them will not make it.

290vgbd.jpg

His magazine is out now.  The German is quick.  Instead of trying to stop, Kolya uses his momentum and throws himself forward, landing on his stomach.

15mnqtg.jpg

Everything he does now is by rote.  Muscle memory kicks in and Kolya opens fire, his rounds tearing into the chest of the German just as he finished loading his weapon and was about to bring it to bear on Kolya.  The German falls backward without making a sound.

2ppfrbm.jpg

For a moment, everything is hushed.  Kolya still can’t hear over the blood pumping through his head and making his wound throb painfully.  He is aware that he has been holding his breath for a while now. 

Adrenaline and fear have caused him to focus only on the deadly threat directly in front of him.  Now that the German lies still, barely 2 meters away, his senses start to widen and he sees movement to his left, a shadow rising up, as if reaching towards him.

11v2qe1.jpg

Another German!!!  He twists and cuts loose with a frenzied burst from his machine gun.

2am79s.jpg

Instinct shooting, nothing more.  Just point and spray and hope.  This German dies more horribly than the other.  Lots of screaming and thrashing.  Kolya keeps the trigger depressed and hears the click as the magazine empties.

fdrt6s.jpg

He is not even aware that he has yanked the empty magazine from his weapon and has pulled a new one from his mag pouch.  He is operating like a well-oiled machine.  The full magazine is slammed home, the bolt dropped.  For a moment he thinks about the man whose boots are just ahead of him, now still.  Kolya knows he would be dead or worse if the German had not run out of rounds when he did.  Death was just seconds away.

2z8nm1w.jpg

Kolya lies silent against the side of the building.  His hearing is starting to come back to him now, adrenaline slowing, his blood not pounding through his skull.  He wonders how many others from his squad were killed or wounded.  Where is the good Sergeant?  Has the charge succeeded or failed?  Is he alone and the others dead or running back to safety? 

Well, no matter for now.  The earth feels warm against his body, the sun against his face.  He is still breathing and sweating.  More than can be said for many of his fellow soldiers.  He is hungry too.  Maybe the dead German has some food on him.  He will check in a few minutes, maybe.   Better to lie here for a little while longer and enjoy being alive.

The war goes on…

Heinrich505   

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, George MC said:

maQiDhN.jpg

Poland Summer 1944

YES!!! I think another awesome scenario or campaign may be in the pipeline!!!  Can you release any teasers?  Maybe the map size?   

Would this be the campaign based around Kampfgruppe Muhlenkamp in Poland summer 1944?  If so what is the largest map size?  If you can tell..............

Edited by MOS:96B2P

5 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

YES!!! I think another awesome scenario or campaign may be in the pipeline!!!  Can you release any teasers?  Maybe the map size?   

Would this be the campaign based around Kampfgruppe Muhlenkamp in Poland summer 1944?  If so what is the largest map size?  If you can tell..............

Hi @MOS:96B2P

It is but progressing very slowly. My wife and I have just had a wee baby so that's taking up a lot (most if not nearly all!) of spare time. The screenshot is from one of the missions within a campaign based around KG Muhlenkamp. Its taking alot longer than planned to put together. Most of the maps are around 3 x 4km, a few smaller, one larger. This map is 4 x 2km and covers a small counter attack by Panthers from 7./II pushed back a Soviet armoured probe near DOLBIZNA. I'm busy playtesting the Soviet AI plan just now. It has some interesting LOS and long range fire fights on the map. Surprising that it is not playing out as I had thought due to the LOS/LOF the Soviets have. I'm losing more Panthers than I should be! ;)

@George MC congrats on the wee baby. Raise him/her well and in no time you'll have an in-house play tester. I hear kids love computer games so better get started in the formative years. And as always, looking forward to your next scenario. Recently had a blast playing "Der Ring..." in H2H. What a beautiful map!

George MC,

Ach, a wee one.  Lets see...sleepless nights, "me" time for mom, "It's your turn to feed/change him/her."  Some of the highlights, eh?  Wouldn't trade those memories for anything.

Congratulations on the baby.  Just don't blink.  They grow so fast and next thing you know, they have their own family and you wonder where the time went.

And yes, start the wee one early on CM.  Mine never took to board games like ASL.  ;-(

Heinrich505