Well, I did it and BOY is my wife gonna be pissed!

pcpilot,

I've never been married, but recently, I came across a description of an arrangement that works--for both parties.

First, cover the fixed overheads, plus food, work and daily clothing, school bills and such, as well as haircuts, nails and more intimate supplies. IOW, the ordinary expenses of living for a couple with or without kids. Allocations for dining and entertainment should also be included. After that, determine how much to invest, how much to retire debt, add to college fund, emergency kitty, vacation account and matters like those.

When all of the above is covered, the unallocated remainder is play money. This is divided equally between the two parties. The rule is simple: Unless somebody's running a meth lab or conducting similar insanity with his or her share, no purchases made from one partner's discretionary money may be questioned by the other.

He wants the new CM game, and it's in his budget? Great! She wants that fancy, expensive handbag? Given what they cost, she's probably going to have to save for it. Or it might be him dying for a pricey, cool RC helicopter (bet it'll take awhile to get the moolah together), while she decides to take up bowling and needs a ball and shoes. Lots cheaper than that not so crashworthy helo!

This is fair, it is just, and it is doable. In your case, though, you'd better get a time machine built forthwith, so you can go back in time and get her to agree to this approach-- before the world as you know it ends in this timeline.

Regards,

John Kettler

Yep...it's just that easy. 1-2-3 add water and POOF instant successful marriage :rolleyes::P

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John Kettler, that is actually quite sound common sensical advice and well taken here. I might point out that I was joking somewhat about my wife being pissed. Actually, the wife and I have a very good marriage. She's a Briton and incredibly frugal. I am an American and Im not. She also understood from day one I like to play my games in my downtime, its one way I unwind, along with fishing, shooting, backpacking, etc., etc. So you see, I have worn the pants from day one!

That is, until she TELLS me to take them off...

...oh...all right dear, if you insist...

pcpilot,

I've never been married, but recently, I came across a description of an arrangement that works--for both parties.

First, cover the fixed overheads, plus food, work and daily clothing, school bills and such, as well as haircuts, nails and more intimate supplies. IOW, the ordinary expenses of living for a couple with or without kids. Allocations for dining and entertainment should also be included. After that, determine how much to invest, how much to retire debt, add to college fund, emergency kitty, vacation account and matters like those.

When all of the above is covered, the unallocated remainder is play money. This is divided equally between the two parties. The rule is simple: Unless somebody's running a meth lab or conducting similar insanity with his or her share, no purchases made from one partner's discretionary money may be questioned by the other.

He wants the new CM game, and it's in his budget? Great! She wants that fancy, expensive handbag? Given what they cost, she's probably going to have to save for it. Or it might be him dying for a pricey, cool RC helicopter (bet it'll take awhile to get the moolah together), while she decides to take up bowling and needs a ball and shoes. Lots cheaper than that not so crashworthy helo!

This is fair, it is just, and it is doable. In your case, though, you'd better get a time machine built forthwith, so you can go back in time and get her to agree to this approach-- before the world as you know it ends in this timeline.

Regards,

John Kettler

That is, in theory, a reasonable proposal but -probably- too restrictive and too narrow minded to be sucessfully implemented in a reationship between humans. It would work fine though as concept for programs sharing system resources while running simulataniously on the same computer.

Try drinking scotch. That stuff burns the old mucous membrane, believe you me.

Over here in Scotland we just call it whiskey!

I find it so strange when Americans refer to something Scottish as "Scotch", other than a "Scotch Egg" I cannot think of a single time we use the word. If something is Scottish... It is Scottish (over here).

Also we have an incredible amount of variation in our whiskeys, between us and Ireland pretty much every conceivable type of delicious golden liver killer is available. I would recommend trying Talisker, Glenfiddich, Ardbeg or by far my most favourite, the Isle of Jura. That particular gem is made by the brewers from the Highland Park in their spare time and has a full peaty flavour with a fantastic smokey after-taste. Combine that with a Cuban "Punch" cigar and some smoked applewood cheddar cheese and you sir have one hell of an evening.

On the topic of the superior gender, having just come from the end of a six year relationship I would very much recommend living with all the crap as long as in the end you still make each other smile.

"You can't live with them, you could never live without em."

cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese

I would recommend trying Talisker, Glenfiddich, Ardbeg or by far my most favourite, the Isle of Jura. That particular gem is made by the brewers from the Highland Park in their spare time and has a full peaty flavour with a fantastic smokey after-taste. Combine that with a Cuban "Punch" cigar and some smoked applewood cheddar cheese and you sir have one hell of an evening.

What a mouth-watering description :D.

Over here in Scotland we just call it whiskey

And the rest of the world thanks you for your divine nectar.

I use the term Scotch to differentiate between it and the Irish and North American concoctions which never touch my lips.

In fact, I have travelled the "Whisky Trail" from Edradour (the smallest distillery in the world) to Talisker (the only to be found on the Isle of Skye). Just don't ask me how I ever got home.

@ PeterH

For the record, I am Canadian. And just as "wee Americans" tend to overgeneralize when it comes to the name of libations, "we" aren't the only ones to fall into this trap.

A case in point: while touring the North of Scotland, I arrived at an inn where I'd be spending the night. When the barkeeper asked me what part of America I was from I replied:

"Kind sir, I would never mistake you for an Englishman. Please don't mistake me for an American."

On the topic of the superior gender...I would very much recommend living with all the crap as long as in the end you still make each other smile.

"You can't live with them, you could never live without em."

Wise words, indeed.

The more I think of it, the luckier I feel I am to have someone who will put up with "all my crap." That, and the fact I can leave the house and not only know she'll be there when I get home but my scotch supply will be untouched.

Turns out she tolerates me, but not the drink.

"Now, down yer neck!"

@BLSTK I'm so sorry! I do try my best to not fall into that trap, my best friend (a ridiculously Scottish lad, heir to one of the Maclean families and my source of all whiskey knowledge) is currently dating a lovely lass from your fair lands. I did not know how large a proportion of your population was from my cold corner of the globe either.

I have to confess I'm rather jealous having never been on a tour such as that. I'm not sure which I would prefer however, a Euro-hopping trail for Beer and Ale, or an Isle-hopping search for the "golden nectar"!

Yes, for me a large part of putting up with "all the crap" is having to realise how much of "the crap" is caused by me..

Oh for a Woman more patient than I.

@ Peter

No need to apologize my good man. As for your "cold corner of the globe", surely you jest. It may be springtime in The Great White North but we would be the last to know it.

But then, you weren't referring to the climate...or ware ye. I believe ye Scots to be among the warmest people to inhabit this planet. Of course, I'm not entirely unbiased as me Gran was a Ferguson.

Give my best to the McConnville clan when (not if) you run into 'em.

"My heart belongs to Glasgow..."

We are experiencing a rather lovely trend for warm summers. It is always pleasant to see travellers gawking at my friends and I, proudly strolling through Edinburgh city centre in shirts surrounded by more sensible but less dashing folk in winter jackets and waterproofs.

Yeah, as long as you supply us with alcohol we will be merry and welcoming to the end of the earth!

Oh dear. Here our friendship must meet its unfortunate end. I hail from the most beautiful, cultured and bright city of Edinburgh and thus by pure chance of location are now thine sworn enemy, you filthy Glaswegian peasant!

At least I think that is how it goes.

I find it so strange when Americans refer to something Scottish as "Scotch", other than a "Scotch Egg" I cannot think of a single time we use the word. If something is Scottish... It is Scottish (over here).

There has been a movement on this side in the last few decades to only use the word 'Scottish' when referring to people, institutions, or other items originating in your land. There are certain exceptions however; tradition no doubt has a great influence here. So there is Scotch whiskey, scotch broth, and a few other items. Although I have not investigated the matter, I suspect that the etymology of butterscotch has a completely different history and does not pertain here.

Michael

@ PeterH

For the record, I am Canadian. And just as "wee Americans" tend to overgeneralize when it comes to the name of libations, "we" aren't the only ones to fall into this trap.

A case in point: while touring the North of Scotland, I arrived at an inn where I'd be spending the night. When the barkeeper asked me what part of America I was from I replied:

"Kind sir, I would never mistake you for an Englishman. Please don't mistake me for an American."

But in fact you are a full-fledged American and entitled to call yourself such. Your country and mine together with the nation of Mexico all comprise the continent of North America. So stand tall and be proud to be an American! You should have told the innkeeper that you are from the Canada part of America.

:D

Michael

PS: Those Scots, Welsh, English, and Northern Irish are all equally Europeans as well as being citizens of the UK.

Fitzroy or Alistair? I've read both with pleasure.

Michael

I have absolutely no idea whether they are close family or not, though I do remember a couple of successful authors being mentioned. Then again the ridiculous amount of famous or impressive folk within those families is incredible.

If you care to find out yourself the chap I'm talking about is called Hector, of the Macleans of Dochgarroch. Lovely family, they know pretty much everyone in Scotland or so it seems.

@ Emrys

You Americans are always labelling others.

You are the last person on Earth I will allow to label me. If anything, I am North American. And as a proud Canadian who can read a map and can actually find your country on it, I'll have you know we Canadians will always come out on top. (And I'm not only referring to the World of Olympic Hockey...).

If anything, I am North American.

Which is what I wrote in case swilling that cheap Canadian whiskey is starting to make you go blind. Maybe we should get you a tin cup so you can stand on the corner and solicit funds to buy the better stuff. A good Tennessee bourbon, for instance.

Michael

Could they package up a pretty Highland lass and mail her to me? I'd even be willing to pay the customs duties myself.

Michael

Hmm, we don't really have them. Would a "homely" lass suit?

I jest of course, though do you mind if I find myself one first? I warn you there is little hope in that with RT around the corner..