[WIP/PREVIEW] Juju's 'Red Thunder UI' discussion thread

Juju

I prefer V3 as well. My only issue is that in the visual symbols the commander still has their mouth open. I get that you are using the same graphic progressively zoomed out but if you closed their mouths in the visual versions it would be an improvement. I also thing the visual far would be better with the figure even smaller in the frame. I suggest a 3/4 view.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll let these sink in for a bit while I work on other stuff. Plenty to do.

Question: can anyone tell me what German Branches we can expect to see in the game. Heer, obviously, but will there be SS and Luftwaffe units as well? Can't seem to find any info on that.

Thanks in advance.

I'll let these sink in for a bit while I work on other stuff. Plenty to do.

Question: can anyone tell me what German Branches we can expect to see in the game. Heer, obviously, but will there be SS and Luftwaffe units as well? Can't seem to find any info on that.

Thanks in advance.

No only Heer, I know I did see it somewhere.

The overview page doesn't specify SS or Luftwaffe in the German formations section. If SS were included I'm pretty sure they would have listed them - but perhaps we'll get a pleasant surprise.

The latest C&C icons variant:

On top; version 3. Below, version 4. Only the left two columns have been changed, and it's only a minor difference, I know, but I think size-wise version 4 has a better 'flow.'

Not as far as some of you would like me to go, but this is as far as I'm willing to blow up the 'voice' icons.

C&C test 5 .jpg

Another little work-in-progress preview. All the background colors are yet to be decided upon, but here's a good idea of most of the HQ options I plan to do. The bottom two will probably become the default versions. The rest will be offered as optional files.

Notice that I decided to include some SS icons (I will probably also include optional SS rank icons), as I just know (well, I at least expect) someone will come along with an SS uniform mod shortly after the game's release. Best to have these things in place for just such an occasion, right?

HQ WIP preview.jpg

Another little work-in-progress preview. All the background colors are yet to be decided upon, but here's a good idea of most of the HQ options I plan to do. The bottom two will probably become the default versions. The rest will be offered as optional files.

Notice that I decided to include some SS icons (I will probably also include optional SS rank icons), as I just know (well, I at least expect) someone will come along with an SS uniform mod shortly after the game's release. Best to have these things in place for just such an occasion, right?

HQ WIP preview.jpg

Two-thumbs up JuJu!

Can't wait to use em!

It strikes me that the original CMx2 user interface looks too modern with its inset grey 'grills' so that to really get the flavour of WW2 and if we are looking at a more muted UI, perhaps you could make it look more like an old fashioned radio set with the various 'boxes & windows' being the dials buttons and small illuminated panels,

One item to address, is what the UI looks like when it is doing/showing nothing. Currently it is a series of empty grey boxes but could it actually look like a radio when not showing buttons or any activity?

The latest C&C icons variant:

On top; version 3. Below, version 4. Only the left two columns have been changed, and it's only a minor difference, I know, but I think size-wise version 4 has a better 'flow.'

Not as far as some of you would like me to go, but this is as far as I'm willing to blow up the 'voice' icons.

C&C test 5 .jpg

+1 to Version 4. It shows well.

It strikes me that the original CMx2 user interface looks too modern with its inset grey 'grills' so that to really get the flavour of WW2 and if we are looking at a more muted UI, perhaps you could make it look more like an old fashioned radio set with the various 'boxes & windows' being the dials buttons and small illuminated panels

Heh, I like the idea, and I've actually already tried something along those lines a year or so ago. To make a long story short: not with my skills and not without a serious redesign of not only the graphics, but also the general button- and panel placement.

One item to address, is what the UI looks like when it is doing/showing nothing. Currently it is a series of empty grey boxes but could it actually look like a radio when not showing buttons or any activity?

Never thought about that. Could be overkill, but I'll give it some thought nonetheless, thanks.

Below, version 4. Only the left two columns have been changed, and it's only a minor difference, I know, but I think size-wise version 4 has a better 'flow.'

I like version 4 better too - creating more separation between the size of the close and far visual is a good move. I feel like I am at the eye doctor "can you see better with 1 or 2? How about 2 or 3?" :)

I still think the visual icons should have closed mouths.

I'm a glass half full type of guy, so not having the game yet is not all bad. Gives me time to experiment and work out ideas. :)

I'm already getting a lot of work done (which I haven't previewed yet, and won't until release). This probably shaves off precious weeks of development time after the game's release. So this time you won't need to wait two months for the first release!

Here. Updated HQ icons. Added three more. Urrah!

HQ WIP preview2.jpg

Poor guys. Nothing to do but hit F5 all the time. :(

Okay, a small update, then. A little weapon-slot preview. Managed to squeeze out a little more detail here and there, and there's new stuff too.

First row, bottom: that's Rambler's actual Mosin sniper rifle!

Second row, top: the ROKS 3, which, as somebody already noted, looks like a rifle.

Third row: new graphics for the MP40, FG42 (not in the game, I noticed), MP44, G43, Kar98K, rifle grenade and the FW41 flamethrower. Odd little thing.

Not sure which of all the Fausts are going to make it into RT.

RT Weapon test 2.jpg

Here's hoping RT is released soon! :)