[WIP/PREVIEW] Juju's 'Red Thunder UI' discussion thread

Juju

Welcome gentlemen, to Juju's 'Red Thunder UI' preview and discussion thread.

Here you'll be able to view regularly updated previews, discuss likes and dislikes, and offer suggestions. I might even ask your opinion on things from time to time, too. ;)

Juju

Juju

Juju

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On to the first item on the agenda: Testers. When the time comes I'm going to need one or two. With around a 1000 files, there's bound to be things that I'll miss or inadvertantly mess up. Nothing I'd hate more than having to update and re-upload the whole mod because of a few stupid mistakes (yes, I'm looking at you, Besa machine gun).

What I'm looking for are a few people who are playing the game A LOT. They should at least have some eye for detail.

You'll be pointing out where I messed up, what could do with improvement, and, if it's not too heavily based on personal preference, offer suggestions or additions.

Not all at the same time, please. ;)

The second item on the agenda is a bit of news. Marco suggested we collaborate our efforts, so from now on the design of the UI will take into account Marco's alternate silhouette mod.

This means that in the future Marco and I intend to produce variants of his mod that should work seamlessly with 'Red Thunder UI!'

The second item on the agenda is a bit of news. Marco suggested we collaborate our efforts, so from now on the design of the UI will take into account Marco's alternate silhouette mod.

This means that in the future Marco and I intend to produce variants of his mod that should work seamlessly with 'Red Thunder UI!'

This is good news.

I've always used Marco's and therefore have neglected your offerings. I look forward to seeing what your collaboration brings :)

I really want to do away with the old C&C icons on this one (the title should read C&C, not CoC as well, BTW), but I feel deviating from them seems quite a big step.

So far I came up with this. I'm still not sure about the 'visual close' icon, but I feel the others should work with a little getting used to.

Opinions? Ideas?

CoC.jpg

While I don't fall into your plays the game a lot demographic, you know where to find me if you need someone to test your UI out :).

Thanks. I didn't mention this, but guys like you, who have firsthand experience with modding, do get 'extra points,' as you tend to know what to look for. Sadly, those are usually the ones who seem to play very little.

But for now I'll wait a bit for some more volunteers, okay.

I agree with that, when I think of soldiers moving within eyesight of each other, they would try to be as quiet as possible in enemy territory so hand signals seems like a good idea.

The other option that comes to mind (me being old and needing them) are glasses:-)

The voice one I think is ambiguous - it could also read as vision. And the radio isn't reading clearly as a radio.

My first thoughts were:

-Visual close = upper torso and head of a soldier with horizon line in middle

-Visual far = full body of a soldier at small scale with horizon line in middle

-Voice = ear (indicating within hearing range)

-Radio = headset or handset

With these, each of the icons in a pair sort of relate to each other.

Thanks. I didn't mention this, but guys like you, who have firsthand experience with modding, do get 'extra points,' as you tend to know what to look for. Sadly, those are usually the ones who seem to play very little.

But for now I'll wait a bit for some more volunteers, okay.

I've noticed that too!

Most of the modders seem to be the ones that play the least compared to the rest of the community.

And not only because they are busy modding.

Why do you think that is?

Sorry if I'm bringing the thread OT, but I'm genuinely curious.

Opinions? Ideas?

CoC.jpg

IMHO:

- visual close needs a bit more contrast

- voice is really a bit ambiguous. A shouting mouth (as is) was really a good choice

- radio I'd suggest an antenna with radio waves like this

http://de.freepik.com/index.php?goto=27&opciondownload=17&id=aHR0cDovL3d3dy5vcGVuY2xpcGFydC5vcmcvZGV0YWlsL2FudGVubmEtYW5kLXJhZGlvLXdhdmVzLWJ5LWpvaG5wd2FycmVu&fileid=517097

- visual far looks good but also more contrast

On to the first item on the agenda: Testers. When the time comes I'm going to need one or two. With around a 1000 files, there's bound to be things that I'll miss or inadvertantly mess up. Nothing I'd hate more than having to update and re-upload the whole mod because of a few stupid mistakes (yes, I'm looking at you, Besa machine gun).

What I'm looking for are a few people who are playing the game A LOT. They should at least have some eye for detail.

You'll be pointing out where I messed up, what could do with improvement, and, if it's not too heavily based on personal preference, offer suggestions or additions.

Not all at the same time, please. ;)

As a grateful user of your current UI work, I'd be happy to try and help out by testing, if you still need volunteer(s). I try to have half a dozen or so PBEM games going, with at least a turn a day from me for each: if that qualifies as playing "a lot"?

Okay, lots of valid criticism, suggestions and ideas. Keep 'em coming. Thanks.

One thing, though; don't forget I only have 30x30 pixels to work with on these, which is not a lot. But I'll see what I can come up with.

@regiment0: Voice = ear (indicating within hearing range). Heh, I've already tried that a while back. At 30x30 pixels it tends to look exactly like certain lady parts. So I wouldn't hold my breath for that one. ;)

To be honest, I don't think the current default Eye/Voice/Radio/Distant needs to be changed.

In my (completely layman) opinion, your WIP isn't an improvement.

Sorry.

They don't need to be changed. It's just that what has been default (and, let's face it, dead-ugly) doesn't fit in my plans for the new UI.

Now, I'm a guy who swears by functionality over design'' so if, eventually, I don't get any new stuff to work out, I'll just stick to the originals and try to make that work. And there will always be the option to make them optional.

Can't blame a man for trying, though. Hence the WIP part. ;)

After all, the idea of a MOD is to give you an option - a different approach.

You could move away from the 'cartoon' icon idea and replace the icons with Tactical type signs (say section, platoon, company battalion - giving the idea of distance) but as you say this has to marry in across the entire mod.

Or to take this approach a step further, how about a little b+w picture - different NCO/Officer ranks or pictures of equipment

One thing I am quite keen to change is the little unit 'face' pictures. In CMBB Dark Steel UI Mod they were replaced by real photographs of soldiers and then a little arm of service or rank symbol in the corner. Gave it more of a period feel than the current drawn image.

They don't need to be changed. It's just that what has been default (and, let's face it, dead-ugly) doesn't fit in my plans for the new UI.

Now, I'm a guy who swears by functionality over design'' so if, eventually, I don't get any new stuff to work out, I'll just stick to the originals and try to make that work. And there will always be the option to make them optional.

Can't blame a man for trying, though. Hence the WIP part. ;)

Go right ahead mate, it's difficult not to sound like I'm bashing your work - and you do a lot of good work.

My opinion is uninformed ( I know nothing of graphic design ) and I'm just one guy :)

I just thought that your wip was uglier than stock ;) But also, I haven't used your UI mod, so am not familiar with the scheme you're trying to fit to. Don't mind me.